Country music or what young people know as Alternative Country or Alt country

Listening to this on Tidal via roon

Cant remember why or how I befriended the record but this is great bluegrassy music from a husband wife and daughter 

Americans make this sort of singing and playing seem so effortless 

If you like country music it can be listened to on Tidal

62FD979C-2F66-4B0D-B356-BDF7F00D6F5B.jpeg

044099E9-2D97-418B-AF3E-BC33020E180D.jpeg

• Like 2

Still on Tidal via roon 

Now officially retired from buying CDs 

Probably limited in the future to Bob Dylan box sets

Eilen Jewell’s new record Gypsy would have had me rushing off to the record shop but not anymore

And Uncle Earle a killer  female band of bluegrassers 

I flew down to Melbourne in 2010 to see them and Eileen Jewell at The Brunswick Street Music Festival hope I got that year right

The things you do when you’re young???

AFB93B23-6E98-4BEC-90F6-1FEA2A896386.jpeg

1C2AE7E5-24DE-4CF4-B106-A4DF48952430.jpeg

• Like 1

One of my favourite vocals of all time from possibly the best Country music singers of all time

Teach me to forget

Sort of you taught me how to love you now stick around and teach me to forget you

????

Not sure if there is a bad Merle Haggard record

the ones I know vary in quality but the singing keeps me from fast forwarding 

Unlike say Johnny Cash some of whose records are so bad you can’t get through them?

image.jpg

4088F414-FB7E-490E-9020-57A4EA7B4A5C.png

What the heck

Listening to country music playlists and up pops this sublime piece of rock n roll from a my most missed band

Check out the picture of Lee Remick

If I could write a song I’d write one about her

Serious songwriting here with a sense of humour 

A couple of cool Australians

FE94AA84-86A4-4088-93B4-399AAD37B688.png

87224B6C-195E-4622-93D4-FC0543F74E3B.jpeg

A133E4C0-B934-418C-8AC8-ED51A2F56717.jpeg

• Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 5:44 AM, keyse1 said:

I hate country music

but I like Johnny Cash

ive heard that said hundreds of times in real life whenever someone asks what kind of music I like

Funny thing is that very few people have ever heard his music before the Rick Rubin ones at the very end of his life

came across this tv show hosted by Pete Seeger in the mid 60’s

It shows Johnny at the height of his fame 

It also shows him at the height of his drug problems 

It’s the most “wired” performance I’ve ever seen from anyone sitting in a chair 

Goes for an hour but just move it along 10 minutes or so 

Everything that is great about Johnny Cash is on here including his personal demons

It may also be the first time you will have heard his wife June Carter she sings and talks about members of her family The Carter Family who Back in about 1926 cut what are considered the first country music songs

And Pete Seeger is great

@cheekyboy

Have you seen this?

Well worth the time

Or anyone who likes Johnny Cash

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keyse1 said:

@cheekyboy

Have you seen this?

Well worth the time

Or anyone who likes Johnny Cash

My dad was the same age as Johnny Cash and he was a huge fan of Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson films and in later years when he could (tape and DVD), he would watch their movies over and over again. When it came to music I can remember a few country female artists, like Patsy Cline for example, but he would play Johnny Cash records, like the Eastwood and Bronson movies, over and over again.

I reckon I should probably hate Cash’s music because I heard it so much growing up, but I don’t of course, so my exposure to Johnny Cash far proceeds the period Rubin became involved with the American Recordings. As good as those recordings are, there is so much more to Johnny Cash and his music.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New music

On Tidal because I will no longer be buying CDs 

You won’t hear this on the radio

Country rockabilly 

Pretty good  

This would be great live

Wild Earp ?

Very amusing name with an obvious attraction for me

A2F9781F-C04B-46C2-AFAC-9D31AE892DE0.jpeg

F0C808B1-78F5-4D47-9CA7-BA2D70E51766.jpeg

• Like 1

Sticking with Tidal 

And new music 

Not my natural habitat 

I much prefer discovering new music in the past

Back when Moses was a boy it sometimes seems

Somebody posted this on currently spinning and unlike me I googled it on you tube and not only had I never heard of it but it was seriously good

Such is the arrogance of old age?

Seriously good record but unlikely to ever get air play 

Like most great music since the 70’s destined for that niche market of fanatics

Sighhhhhhhhhh

15CB88DB-D3D6-4916-B5F1-36E89C9C0D54.jpeg

And whilst on the subject here’s a book I might read

The bad side of politics in country music but I had no idea it was as bad as this book reports

And all this while I’m listening to Merle “okie From Muskogee”

” Haggard and swatting up on impeachment 

Music and politics sort like shoes and socks
https://www.nodepression.com/the-reading-room-where-politics-and-country-music-collide/

image.jpg

Made a switch to George Jones

He stopped loving her today

Often considered the quintessential country song 

Read the words for confirmation ?

I don’t think anyone here would like it

Even I struggle 

But if you’ve read The Old Testament and heard this song you probably know everything worth knowing or that  you need to know??????

image.jpg

F11D83DE-4237-469B-BF4D-BD2F42CB03F1.jpeg

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Documentary maker Ken Burns' Country Music series commences on Feb. 15 on SBS.

I bought the dvd

watched about 3 hours so far

very interesting for people who like music even if not country music

• Like 1

I was going to post this on the record lovers site

But it might freak people out?

So put it here out of site so to speak

A friend of ours is bringing her son around 

He loves records

So I’m looking to match the covers with the records and will give him the rest

As bonus a crash course in country music?

No idea what condition they are in but he is young enough not to care

It’s a good introduction to the love of rock n roll as opposed to the love of format?

I love record covers but no love at all for records although sifting through them God the memories of time and place and obsession are almost as real as then 

Bring back the 60’s and 70’s?

In the 70’s I used to take records to parties trying to convince my friends of the virtues of short sharp rock n roll songs but to very limited success as very one was locked into Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin 

Sigh
Real life and cyberspace aren’t  that far removed?

in terms of music taste?

BB1F592A-55BC-4B3A-AFB5-F518F08EE489.jpeg

5CC2774D-2A64-4512-ABF6-492E69047EB8.jpeg

EF4F975F-159D-490C-BC7F-8E0DEDD16A76.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@JukKluk2

bit off topic on the other thread

I googled that show so I don’t think you were listening to country music in its traditional sense

Here is a 22 minute clip of Ken Burns talking about country music

He just made a 16 hour docko on country music

I know there is no requirement to like any specific type of music and nor is it possible to debate someone into liking it

22 minutes is a long time but worth at least listening and if this is what you were hearing and hated well that would be sad

I should also add there was to my knowledge no such thing as country music in Australia during the 80’s in the sense that Ken Burns is talking https://youtu.be/Q66OjqZytzY

On 22/02/2020 at 10:52 PM, keyse1 said:

@JukKluk2

bit off topic on the other thread

I googled that show so I don’t think you were listening to country music in its traditional sense

Here is a 22 minute clip of Ken Burns talking about country music

He just made a 16 hour docko on country music

I know there is no requirement to like any specific type of music and nor is it possible to debate someone into liking it

22 minutes is a long time but worth at least listening and if this is what you were hearing and hated well that would be sad

I should also add there was to my knowledge no such thing as country music in Australia during the 80’s in the sense that Ken Burns is talking https://youtu.be/Q66OjqZytzY

Thanks for that @keyse1 I have watched it through and I have to say that my feelings toward country music remain unchanged, if anything it has confirmed my stance. It felt like an hour of purgatory, to be truthful.

Still, one man's happy is another man's sorrow. We'll agree to differ on this one.

Edited by JukKluk2

10 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Thanks for that @keyse1 I have watched it through and I have to say that my feelings toward country music remain unchanged, if anything it has confirmed my stance. It felt like an hour of purgatory, to be truthful.

Still, one man's happy is another man's sorrow. We'll agree to differ on this one.

That’s ok

I’m glad you watched it

I googled Nick And turns out he’s a marriage celebrant not far from me

Ive heard that type of Australian music 

Ive been to Tamworth and the Gympie Muster both times to see a Canadian called Fred Eaglesmith one of country musics finest writers

The other music I heard there I think of as the soundtrack to hell so to speak?

I started in the early 70’s with Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris The Byrds The Flying Burrito Brothers John Prine Guy Clark and later Steve Earle Johnny Cash Hank Williams and so on 

Country music Is also spread across my favourite Stones records bought at roughly the same time not to mention Dylan

Might have been different though if I’d been subjected to your experience ?

Ah, @keyse1, I’ve never had anyone able to tell me what purgatory is actually like, for any length of time for that matter, but if purgatory is akin to listening to country music, I can’t see that it is going to be all that bad a place!?

I was brought up on Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Patsy Kline, primarily through the ‘60s, but like you, I soon developed a taste for Gram and Emmylou, The Byrd’s too along with John Prine and Lucinda Williams and many more. It’s going to be impossible for me to understand someone having an extreme dislike for the country music genre, but each to their own I guess. I’m not a fan of rap music for instance, so I own very little recorded rap music and I avoid playing it, but I know many audio enthusiasts, family members included, that love rap music, so I would never openly disparage the genre because that would show very little respect for those that actually enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Ah, @keyse1, I’ve never had anyone able to tell me what purgatory is actually like, for any length of time for that matter, but if purgatory is akin to listening to country music, I can’t see that it is going to be all that bad a place!?

I was brought up on Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Patsy Kline, primarily through the ‘60s, but like you, I soon developed a taste for Gram and Emmylou, The Byrd’s too along with John Prine and Lucinda Williams and many more. It’s going to be impossible for me to understand someone having an extreme dislike for the country music genre, but each to their own I guess. I’m not a fan of rap music for instance, so I own very little recorded rap music and I avoid playing it, but I know many audio enthusiasts, family members included, that love rap music, so I would never openly disparage the genre because that would show very little respect for those that actually enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

you guys left out one my favourite bands from that era the fabulous AMAZING RHTHYM ACES.

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

you guys left out one my favourite bands from that era the fabulous AMAZING RHTHYM ACES.

Seriously? I mentioned six or seven country artists above, but there would literally be dozens if not hundreds of country artists that I've enjoyed over the last 50 - 60 years of listening to country music. I hope you didn't expect me to try and list them all?:ohmy:

I can't recall when I would have first heard the Amazing Rhythm Aces, but it was probably late '70s or even early '80s and they were a very good country/country rock band indeed. 

Cheers,

Keith

17 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Seriously? I mentioned six or seven country artists above, but there would literally be dozens if not hundreds of country artists that I've enjoyed over the last 50 - 60 years of listening to country music. I hope you didn't expect me to try and list them all?:ohmy:

I can't recall when I would have first heard the Amazing Rhythm Aces, but it was probably late '70s or even early '80s and they were a very good country/country rock band indeed. 

Cheers,

Keith

how do the hell do you spell rhythm

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Very cheeky post @cheekyboy

A couple decades ago I started reading Dante’s Divine Comedy

probably because of this line in Tangled Up In Blue

Written by an Italian poet(Dante?)

from the 13th century

and every one of them words rang true

and glowed like burnin coal

pourin off every page

like it was written in my soul

Anyway the imagery was so vivid I started dreaming bad dreams

Some time later I was in Tamworth to see Fred Eaglesmith and the music I heard was so bad I started associating it as a soundtrack to Dante’s 7 circles of hell?

my behaviour no longer includes sin because of it?

You should check out Fred seriously great writer

Listen to the first 6 or 7 records

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Upcoming shows for Tracy McNeil promoting her new album.

Includes a few regional venues.

https://tracymcneil.com/?page_id=4642

She is very good

is she Canadian married to an Australian musician

You should see Eilen Jewell playing in March 

Probably my favourite singer now and writes great songs

• Like 1