Country music or what young people know as Alternative Country or Alt country

It's not my main fare, but I listen to a bit around the edges:

Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, a little bit of Bill Munroe and Doc Watson, Hank Williams, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Wilco,

Proof that country music is cool

this is my favourite rock photo

gram parsons and keith richards during the recording of Exile on Main Street

where rock and blues meet country

keith-and-gram.jpg

exile is certainly one of the great albums in any genre. It's a must have. Edited by buddyev

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Neuwirth a well known secret

Probably known to Dylan fans as a smart Alec at the time Bob was one in the 60's from the movie Don't Look Back

Toured again with Dylan on the Rolling Thunder tour

A player and singer songwriter that nobody's actually heard sing

This song is actually Patti Smith sing/talking poetry but shows Neuwirth's friends

Also recorded an album with John Cale of the Velvet Underground

Can't recommend all his records but this one is seriously good

An excellent songwriter

post-141610-0-92579100-1407045525_thumb.

Thinking about mortality

And what better way to get depressed on a fading Sunday afternoon than with the late great Johnny Cash and the equally late great Earle Scruggs on banjo

Life is just a passing moment

On a never ending trail

Though my pathway wanders for a while

Someday my ship will sail

But I will walk this road awhile

I will walk it with a smile

And I will take it in my stride

Someday I will be satisfied..............

Written by Allen Reynolds

post-141610-0-44798100-1407648338_thumb.

Beware the apocalypse

Coming from the great bear of the northlands

And the promise of the coming of the Prince of peace

Russia going mad

Israel going mad

Sitting here in Pottsville contemplating my navel

If it all ends in tears I hope theirs time for a singalong

Thirsty work all this thinking

Time to cheer up

post-141610-0-92254100-1407648984_thumb.

Thank god for Johnny and June

Always a cheer me up song in hand

And now off to Syney

I'll be hopping like kangaroo

When I get off that fast boat to Sydney

And what better song to follow it up between sips

Pack up your sorrows

And thank god for Country music

A song for every feeling

post-141610-0-61318400-1407649550_thumb.

post-141610-0-05671600-1407649651_thumb.

Guest Misterioso

This is the Louvin Brothers

Possibly the greatest duet singers in music country or otherwise

I have this tribute album and like it. Features Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton ...

Edited by Misterioso

oops

here is one of the great record covers

and a story to go with it

Although the brothers are still remembered today for their musical talent, they are also remembered for the unusual cover used for their 1959 album, Satan Is Real. Designed by Ira Louvin, the cover features the brothers standing in a rock quarry in front of a 12-foot-tall (3.7 m) plywood rendition of the Devil as several hidden tires soaked in kerosene burn behind them as fire and brimstone.[8]While some reviewers count this as being one of the "greatest iconic album covers of all time",[9] the cover can also be found today on several Web sites celebrating unusual or bizarre album covers. The cover has also become an Internet meme on a number of Web sites such as Fark.com, where it has been posted in discussion threads as an example of religious views of the era.[10]

The opening bars of the album's title track "Satan is Real" can be heard at the beginning of Hank Williams III's "Medley: Straight to Hell / Satan is Real", on his Straight to Hell album of 2006. It is also excerpted in Will Ferrell's 2009 one-man Broadway show,You're Welcome America. A Final Night With George W Bush.

post-141610-0-18927100-1408510815_thumb.

I'm not a Country person myself, but this I believe qualifies "Moonshine Sessions" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonshine-Sessions-Bonus-Dvd-Solal/dp/B000TQAF7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1408591770&sr=1-1&keywords=Moonshine+Sessions). Wonderful singing of original & "countrified" songs with a snippet or two of conversations & a drawn out ending of a mixture of nature sounds, sounds & words paying due's to the "smokin" side of Country music.

Excellent sound quality, this one is desert island material for me & as has been mentioned elsewhere, country music for those not into country music. See youtube for listening samples.

61fzTbfZ%2BEL.jpg

It's not my main fare, but I listen to a bit around the edges:

Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, a little bit of Bill Munroe and Doc Watson, Hank Williams, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Wilco,

That's not round the edges

That is the heart and soul of country music both old as in Bill Munroe and Doc Watson Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton

And new as in Lucinda Williams and Gillian Welch

Gillian Welch makes a deliberate effort to sound old timey so to speak and in the process

creates timeless music

Justin Townes Earle does something similar with contemporary lyrics and an old fashioned sound

Lucinda Williams plays as often as not with electric guitars whilst howling at the moon

Considered to be the best songwriter in America by Time Magazine a few years ago

The other side of the coin with her is crying into your beer broken hearted

As good as it gets

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not just good news but great news for sad song loving cheerful music lovers

Justin Townes Earle is back in October

As good as it gets for country music

In Melbourne he is headline a country music day out that includes the Delines a new band that is absolutely great

And in November the best record of the year is touring

Hurray For The Riff Raff in Mullumbimby playing for all the hipsters hippies and elderly gents like myself

And I am off to see my favourite Aussie band Halfway in Brisbane with the Delines

Yahoo

Not to mention JTE on the wed night at the Tivoli

And then the seriously big event the complete Bob Dylan Basement Tapes

138 songs or so

6 CDs

How can I wait

Please don't wake me up

Don't know allot about country. Every now and then I hear a track that grabs me and I've collected a few of those over the years, though they're pretty main stream as country goes.

Now and then I put the country music channel on TV to see if there's something new that takes my fancy, but allot of it seems to be getting indistinguishable from pop or folk rock but a decade or so behind.  A friend of mine who's a singer tells me this is the trend at the moment and it gets labelled count-pop by the insiders who aren't doing it (though I don't know if this is just sour grapes because they're not in Brad Paisley's income bracket). It seems that now more than ever, the genre distinction is more about lyrical content than sound; pick-up trucks, girls in tight jeans and what not seem to be popular topics at the moment.

Even the last few country town rodeos I've been to seem to have featured heavily non-county play list, with Milky Chance, Eminem and AC DC appearing more than anything definably country.

In general terms, how is alt-country different from just country?

Don't know allot about country. Every now and then I hear a track that grabs me and I've collected a few of those over the years, though they're pretty main stream as country goes.

Now and then I put the country music channel on TV to see if there's something new that takes my fancy, but allot of it seems to be getting indistinguishable from pop or folk rock but a decade or so behind.  A friend of mine who's a singer tells me this is the trend at the moment and it gets labelled count-pop by the insiders who aren't doing it (though I don't know if this is just sour grapes because they're not in Brad Paisley's income bracket). It seems that now more than ever, the genre distinction is more about lyrical content than sound; pick-up trucks, girls in tight jeans and what not seem to be popular topics at the moment.

Even the last few country town rodeos I've been to seem to have featured heavily non-county play list, with Milky Chance, Eminem and AC DC appearing more than anything definably country.

In general terms, how is alt-country different from just country?

The country music channel has nothing to do with country music

In fact it has nothing to do with music

Hank Williams Johnny Cash Patsy Cline George Jones Merle Haggard and The Carter Family and many others from the 40's 50's 60's 70's are country music when country radio played songs these were the singers that were played

As in all music there was a mixture of the good the bad and the ugly

Like rock music in the 70's all the good stuff simply disappeared from public site and was replaced by what you see on country TV

Country music is sad broken heart songs and stories about characters who inhabit the songwriters world or imagination

And of course she left me and the dog dies stuff

Americana or Alt country is basically young people reclaiming the original music and rephrasing it in today's terms just as The Beatles and the Stones remade the black music that they loved as young people

The Ramones Sex Pistols The Clash did it again in 70's and Nirvana again in the 80's

Without writing an essay country music was originally music of the rural south in America White mans blues so to speak

I think it is the best music around now in terms of emotional connection and the strength of the writing

We'll worth the effort to get to know it and if you are interested I could list some of the easier stuff to listen to both in the early and new records to listen to

I'm familiar with Cash, Cline, Robbins, Horton, Williams, Parton, Kristofferson and the Carters.  Outside of those guys, I know nothing and I'd be very interested in your listing some more accessible things to sample, both old and new, but especially lack any knowledge of the new, or where to start with it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I'm familiar with Cash, Cline, Robbins, Horton, Williams, Parton, Kristofferson and the Carters.  Outside of those guys, I know nothing and I'd be very interested in your listing some more accessible things to sample, both old and new, but especially lack any knowledge of the new, or where to start with it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

You could start with Gram Parsons, which should give you a fair bit to go on with. John Prine would be another to explore and if you can handle the female vocal, anything by Lucinda Williams. :love

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

They are all great players in the country music world

Non of whom are played on country TV

Start with these records

The greatest example of country music blues and rock n roll ever recorded

They were made at the time Richards had become friendly with Gram Parsons who remains the one of the biggest influences on the Alt country music scene

post-141610-0-55323400-1410153943_thumb.

post-141610-0-62851900-1410153988_thumb.

And cheeky boy is right

Gram Parsons is credited with the invention of country rock

Pure country music played with a rock and roll attitude

These are his solo records featuring Emmylou Harris in her first outing as a country music singer

These 2records can be purchased as a single cd for $10 which makes them the biggest bargain in music sales

post-141610-0-30607100-1410154275_thumb.

post-141610-0-59468600-1410154309_thumb.

• Like 1

Now this one is from the 70's and is a contemporary band the nitty gritty dirt band long hair and dopers and democrats recording with their heroes the crew cut whiskey drinking republicans who are some of the greatest acoustic players ever born

Look the record up on the internet and read about it

A truly great record

post-141610-0-98604700-1410155016_thumb.

• Like 1