18 hours ago, MattyW said:

So, does anyone know where you can source the MiniDSP DDRC-22A here in Australia?

What exactly is the difference between one of these and a DBX Driverack PA2?

Yes, I love my valve gear and analog setup though I'm not really a purist as such. I just want that perfect system. The $799 USD price on the site gave me a scare though. That's over a grand.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

miniDSP deal direct, they don't have local distribution. Compared to other Room EQ systems, it's actually quite affordable. 

Edited by thathifiguy
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who wish to try, Dirac Live is available on a 14 day trial basis. All you need is a calibrated microphone, and PC or Mac    I found it to be very effective, particularly in my room which i

In the past I've compared DEQX and MiniDSP products although not those in particular. I've compared in two ways:   1. Sonic transparency with blind group testing and instant switching 2. The impact

The Dirac Live models are essentially plug and play, include everything you need and work much the same way as the DEQX boxes (as far as room correction goes)...   http://www.minidsp.com/products/di

5 hours ago, svenr said:

If you are fit with measurements and digital signal processing, you can go cheap and use a Sure Electronics ADAU1701 DSP board.

Have you tried one of these yet? I'm interested in giving one a go at some stage. Wish they sold the usb programming interface though...

@Stevesie - well, worst customer service at Sure Electronics. I asked about their alternative USB programmer option three times without any response. I found a kit for the freeUSBi - I'm happy to share the contact details of the guy who makes these. Then you join this freeUSBi board to a cheapo programmer board and you are done.

The functionality of the ADAU1701 can be tested using the SigmaStudio software - there are a couple of hurdles when transferring Matlab filter designs to the ADAU1701 since it uses a 5.23 bit format for the coefficients.

As for the audio quality of the periphery - I haven't done any in-depth measurements, but my impression is that it is not worse than a miniDSP2x4.  Definitely worth trying the Sure board, in particular considering the hefty price tag for the 2x4HD...

• 4 years later...

G’day.  I’m running the minidsp shd - analog and digital in, analog x4 channels out to twin stereo amps.  I’m bi-amping a pair of kef r11s.  Could not be happier with eq courtesy of Dirac 3. 

The dsp shd itself can do as little as I ask of it or completely “peq” a set of custom built two way speakers with no crossover of their own - it’s that powerful and configurable.  

The minidsp products don’t look flashy but offer great value to those who wish to learn and/or apply audio measurement tools to their hifi.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

G’day.  I’m running the minidsp shd - analog and digital in, analog x4 channels out to twin stereo amps.  I’m bi-amping a pair of kef r11s.  Could not be happier with eq courtesy of Dirac 3. 

I take it that you are using the miniDSP for just Dirac - and possibly room EQ - and using the KEF R11s' internal passive XOs?  So passive bi-amping?

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

I take it that you are using the miniDSP for just Dirac - and possibly room EQ - and using the KEF R11s' internal passive XOs?  So passive bi-amping?

Andy

Yes Andy, that’s correct.  It’s still a significant improvement, particularly with Dirac and my own tweaks to the corrected curve.

5 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

Yes Andy, that’s correct.  It’s still a significant improvement, particularly with Dirac and my own tweaks to the corrected curve.

Yes, I'm sure Dirac provides major improvements.  :thumb:  Might be even better, though, if you bypassed the internal passive XOs of the R11s and implemented active filters using the miniDSP?  :)

Andy

On 11/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, Peter the Greek said:

Hi all, any more current updates/insights or opinions on DEQX v Minidsp?

For crossovers (multi way diy speakers) and room correction?

If I was starting from scratch, and only needed 3 way active Xover + room correction, I'd still recommend DEQX for a single box pre-amp/digital crossover/room correction solution with some caveats:

• if you intend to go beyond 3 way, then DEQX becomes price prohibitive
  • DEQX can't manage individual EQ on individual subs - EQ is global for subs, with only individual delay being configurable for individual subs
  • MiniDSP can manage individual EQ and delay on individual subs

DEQX has always been regarded as quite transparent, MiniDSP HD also.

Last time I checked, miniDSP HD couldn't do FIR filtering for speaker correction or crossovers, which DEQX does - but other variants of miniDSP does enable FIR filtering

DEQX costs more than miniDSP - way more - but as a DEQX fanboi, IMO for a single box pre-amp + 3 way active Xover + room correction solution, DEQX is hard to beat.

Mike

• Like 1

thanks @almikel

That pretty much confirms my thinking.

3 way LCR's, are really going to be 4 way (each will have a bass box), plus 3 subs....that's 15 channels....I think the Minidsp will be the only practical solution. 

Presumably Dirac is worth the extra?

On 11/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, Peter the Greek said:

Hi all, any more current updates/insights or opinions on DEQX v Minidsp?

For crossovers (multi way diy speakers) and room correction?

You can actually use both, I do.

I have two miniDSP units and DEQX unit and below illustrates the setup which is effectively a 4 way system.

HTPC\JRiver MC (USB) ---> Focusrite USB Interface (SPDIF) ---> miniDSP SHD Studio

(SPDIF - 80Hz High Pass) ----------------------------------------------> DEQX ---> Speakers High
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ---> Speakers Mid
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ---> Speakers Bass
                                                                                                                    (SPDIF - 80Hz Low  Pass) ---> Coaxial to Optical ---> miniDSP 2x4HD ---> 2 Subwoofers

Below is a thread I started a few months back.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1