I haven't found that equipment fails "early".

Most electronic equipment, including audio, seems to me very reliable, and fails rarely. 

Lot of TVs fail due to PS caps having to put up with high heat, granted some of these idiot manufactures place them in the worst spots, but when a transformer is running near max limits it is running hotter!

A well-known Sydney hi-fi shop sold me an Audio Research LS5 which they'd accepted as a trade-in. 

It was only after a year or so that I noticed it was rated 220V.

I've been using it for at least 5 years without incident. It does get pretty hot, but perhaps it would get hot anyway. I don't know whether the transformer is actually different to the one they use in the amps they sell into the Australian market or not. 

That's nice, have you checked what the heaters are being supplied?

Lot of TVs fail due to PS caps having to put up with high heat, granted some of these idiot manufactures place them in the worst spots, but when a transformer is running near max limits it is running hotter!

Modern TVs, provided they aren't real cheapies, last a long time.

In the last 20 years, I've had;

A Sony Trinitron; it was still going strong 3 years ago when we decided to accept the inevitable and buy a bigger, flat-screen tv.

A Samsung Plasma 50 in, purchased 3 years ago. We had a fire, and were told by the insurance company that it wasn't salvageable. I suspect that despite the considerable smoke damage, it would have soldiered on.

Our current TV, which we bought after the fire.

I don't think I've actually ever had a TV fail, and as you can see, I don't rush to upgrade them.

BTW, our current TV, a Samsung 9000 series, calibrated to CNet's dim room settings, is brilliant.

Why would that make any difference?

Well it was explained by former power supply workers, better than i can ever attempt to do.

Was it a thread here or anther forum, i can't recall.

Modern TVs, provided they aren't real cheapies, last a long time.

In the last 20 years, I've had;

A Sony Trinitron; it was still going strong 3 years ago when we decided to accept the inevitable and buy a bigger, flat-screen tv.

A Samsung Plasma 50 in, purchased 3 years ago. We had a fire, and were told by the insurance company that it wasn't salvageable. I suspect that despite the considerable smoke damage, it would have soldiered on.

Our current TV, which we bought after the fire.

I don't think I've actually ever had a TV fail, and as you can see, I don't rush to upgrade them.

BTW, our current TV, a Samsung 9000 series, calibrated to CNet's dim room settings, is brilliant.

You have been lucky, some people have not been :P

The specified voltage is +/- 10%, as I understand it, therefore Australia can specify 230v and the actual supply can be up to 253v.

Many manufacturers today provide only two voltages to the market, 110v-120v and 220v-240v, I suspect.

My pairs of Quad ESL57s have a voltage selector with all the different voltages on it, from 110v right through to 250v. 

Australia and NZ, as I understand it, traditionally specified a voltage of 240v. The actual voltage supplied did not change when the specification changed to 230v, and as an electrician, I would defer to VD's comments about actual voltage closer to 250.

i too work on the 250 volts AC when i am building my valve amp make sure the EHT is right some transformers i wont use due to 220 volt 240 volt most of the hight quality stuff made in the UK is good as you know more supply voltage more EHT if the EHT go's high bangs and pops 

Edited by valvedude

A well-known Sydney hi-fi shop sold me an Audio Research LS5 which they'd accepted as a trade-in. 

It was only after a year or so that I noticed it was rated 220V.

I've been using it for at least 5 years without incident. It does get pretty hot, but perhaps it would get hot anyway. I don't know whether the transformer is actually different to the one they use in the amps they sell into the Australian market or not. 

wow psu getting sh>> loads more voltage 

It is basically impossible to guarantee a set voltage no matter where you live. It depends on the equipment your neighbours are using, condition of wires and so on. That is why all compliant equipment is built to withstand set tolerances above and below the nominal 230v. If I had extremely expensive equipment I would definitely invest in voltage regulation equipment. All this unregulated and non compliant rubbish which is illegally imported just exacerbates the problem.

what you need to use is a UPS 

This one was a standard euro 3 phase lead with black, brown, grey, blue + earth. I guess the point is, even as a sparky, if he wasn't sure, he should have looked up the colours, and tested/ commissioned the equipment correctly.

yes true we all need to double check as i do all the time lol  :love

This one was a standard euro 3 phase lead with black, brown, grey, blue + earth. I guess the point is, even as a sparky, if he wasn't sure, he should have looked up the colours, and tested/ commissioned the equipment correctly.

if he had done a phase rotation he should have piked up a fault too he must not use his test gear 

if he had done a phase rotation he should have piked up a fault too he must not use his test gear 

There are electricians and then there are electricians.

One day at my place of work I watched a sparky doing some testing and tagging. It just consisted of him cutting off the old test tags and sticking on new ones. Incredulously I watched him doing this and moving on to another area without any actual equipment being used to check for insulation resistance, polarity and "down to earth" testing. I bumped into him later in the lunch room and I casually enquired about what sort of SOTA equipment they used now compared to when I did my apprenticeship. He become quite defensive and said he could not show me any of his test gear because he had already put it back in his van. I went and complained to HR and I said if anyone ever came back from that company I would be watching them like a hawk and I would put a complaint into "The Office of the Chief Electrical Inspector" if they ever pulled such a stunt again. Everytime they have come back after that they have done the job properly. I guess they got read the riot act. Sometimes that is what it needs.

Edited by holdencaulfield2007
  • Like 2

As far as I know, lots of cords (jug and extension) sold here and that are approved can have the hot and neutral reversed.

So I have little faith in approval.

Or am I incorrect on the above?

Yes you are incorrect. An extension cord must have the correct polarity. Polarity is one of the things that is checked during a Test and Tag.

So how come some European countries, for example, have plugs that can be inserted "either way up", as in, no dedicated orientation like the Aussie or UK ones?

Huh?

HUH?

<_<

European_VDE_Power_Cord_with_Plug_D01_72

And one of THOSE European ones can be inserted either way round in to a travel adaptor that fits an Aussie wall socket?

:blink:

Makes no sense.

-_-

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

So how come some European countries, for example, have plugs that can be inserted "either way up", as in, no dedicated orientation like the Aussie or UK ones?

Huh?

HUH?

<_<

European_VDE_Power_Cord_with_Plug_D01_72

And one of THOSE European ones can be inserted either way round in to a travel adaptor that fits an Aussie wall socket?

:blink:

Makes no sense.

-_-

Yes I am familiar with those. I believe they are generally referred to as Euro plugs. I have only seen them on double insulated equipment.

Further reading here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

This has been an interesing topic. 

I would like to comply with all rules and legislation, but:

• Australia has about 20 mllion people - are you telling me that the rest of the world  - in  billions dont know what they are doing?
  • If I use a US plug - from a country with about 280 million people I have to be scared, because they do not know what they are doing? 
  • If I use a product that passes CE certification - I should be worried because it passes international standards - but because it does not have an Ausie plug it is dangerous?

When I use an international productand I need to figure it out - how hard is it - there are only three wires.

If and when I do ask a person to help me I would hope that a qualified person would not be stupid and realise there is a different plug on the cord and check things out.

In summary - I wish we could all just use Aussie products and pay through our nose to have something fixed, but get real.

Edited by Jventer
  • Like 2

This has been an interesing topic. 

I would like to comply with all rules and legislation, but:

• Australia has about 20 mllion people - are you telling me that the rest of the world  - in  billions dont know what they are doing?
  • If I use a US plug - from a country with about 280 million people I have to be scared, because they do not know what they are doing? 
  • If I use a product that passes CE certification - I should be worried because it passes international standards - but because it does not have an Ausie plug it is dangerous?

When I use an international productand I need to figure it out - how hard is itm- there are only three wires.

If and when I do ask a person to help me I would hope that a qualified person would not be stupid and realise there is a different plug on the cord and check things out.

In summary - I wish we could all just use Aussie products and pay through our nose to have something fixed, but get real.

The US of A use 120volt 60Hz. Australia use 230volt 50Hz so your reasoning is sadly way off the mark. Different voltage and different frequency. So electrical products by necessity have to comply to different standards

In an ideal world the voltage would be the same the world over. And tourists would not get killed because they forget they driving are on the wrong side of the road.

BTW you would be surprised how many people think all they have to do is buy an adapter thinking that also somehow changes the voltage. Strange but true!

The US of A use 120volt 60Hz. Australia use 230volt 50Hz so your reasoning is sadly way off the mark. Different voltage and different frequency. So electrical products by necessity have to comply to different standards

In an ideal world the voltage would be the same the world over. And tourists would not get killed because they forget they driving are on the wrong side of the road.

BTW you would be surprised how many people think all they have to do is buy an adapter thinking that also somehow changes the voltage. Strange but true!

OK, now instead of using the 120v example, try it with the UK standard.

Just to give everyone something to think about.

I had certain observations and then spoke to someone doing her doctorate on deaths in Australia.

In Australia there are power points in bathrooms - so you can use shavers, hairdryers etc in the bathroom.This is all legal - 100% - no problem.

I would like to invite all the "know alls", "scaremongers" etc to abide by the rules and the laws and use a hair dryer

then

while someone is in the bath accidentally drop the hairdryer in the bath.

I would suggest while you did not do anything illegal you would just have caused serious injury or death to the person in the bath!

Why is a  power point allowed in a bathroom in the first place?

My point is :  get back to common sense. Teach and train people. Get the laws changed to come back to common sense.

Further accept Internation standards and make life easier for everyone. 

Edited by Jventer

Just to give everyone something to think about.

I had certain observations and then spoke to someone doing her doctorate on deaths in Australia.

In Australia there are power points in bathrooms - so you can use shavers, hairdryers etc in the bathroom.This is all legal - 100% - no problem.

I would like to invite all the "know alls", "scaremongers" etc to abide by the rules and the laws and use a hair dryer

then

while someone is in the bath accidentally drop the hairdryar in the bath.

I would suggest while you did not do anything illegal you would just have caused serious injury or death to the person in the bath!

Why is a  power point allowed in a bathroom in the first place?

My point is :  get back to common sense. Teach and train people. Get the laws changed to come back to common sense.

Further accept Internation standards and make life easier for everyone.

I can't remember the distance but there is a regulation on this that power points are not to be installed near a bath or shower. However that won't stop determination in getting an extension! I scheduled 2 double power points on either side of the double basin and the electricians placed a single point in the cabinet under one of the hand basin on one side because where I wanted one of the double power point was too close to a spa in the ensuite. Power points installed near showers or baths are a no no and those that are, are illegally done. You will also find that power cords that come with appliance are limited to a certain length.

Mains power should be treated with respect as you cannot see it coming and there's no warning. Like I pointed out on my previous post, the regs and rules in my opinion is the minimum requirement and can be tougher. I say this because I work on 3 phase 35a powered production colour printers and some of the attitudes I deal with coming from clients, management etc will take the cheapest optioned with the attitude that safety is 2nd rate and it's my responsibility. Yes, I do take it seriously and it's my responsibility to cover it to a certain extent, the rest is based on whether the equipment is up to the standards and that is the responsibility of the supplier and the customer ensuring that it is up to speed. Without the rules and regs you don't have to go far, just look at Labours Insulation initiative where there were no rules or minimum standards set, it speaks for itself!

Those plugs also fit in the 3-slot UK sockets.

:)

Same as the Australian plugs that only have 2 pins( no Earth Pin) which can legally be used in Australian power points for double insulated items

electricity-type-I-plug-class-II-1-300x1.

Edited by holdencaulfield2007