Just highlighting the potential public safety issue. If you think that could be conflict of interest, then you may want to re-consider your sponsorship/retailer policies in the best interests of the public who rely on sites such as this. That's all.

talk to marc its his forum if you have some gripes about conflicts or interest and sponsor and retailer policies or whatever. And if got a safety issue and so concerned about it, instead of typing on here use the appropriate recourse to do something about it. the site pointed to in the opening post of this thread is created solely for the purposes of pubic and their best interests. why not use it :)

talk to marc its his forum if you have some gripes about conflicts or interest and sponsor and retailer policies or whatever. And if got a safety issue and so concerned about it, instead of typing on here use the appropriate recourse to do something about it. the site pointed to in the opening post of this thread is created solely for the purposes of pubic and their best interests. why not use it :)

Yes, why not. You are right about using the appropriate recourses. It's all about safety and keeping people honest. Dishonest retailers only taint this industry and hurt the rest of the good guys.

Yes, why not. You are right about using the appropriate recourses. It's all about safety and keeping people honest. Dishonest retailers only taint this industry and hurt the rest of the good guys.

@@Marc has a very good set of policies regarding this matter of Electrical Compliance. Applauded by myself and many others.

Such recourse would likely bankrupt the retailer. It's an issue that won't necessarily resolve all those that could be affected.

Admin

I think you've very clearly been pointed in the right direction @@myPal.

I've been looking into the power cables regulation extensively as well as speaking with the local distributors. I'll know more very soon, but it's not as clear as many think.

The laws have not changed and they've been this way for many years. It's just that a blind eye has been turned to power cables as in many cases, the cables actually comply by default.

If "manufacturers" are using approved plugs (Clipsal etc) and approved cable (Belkin etc) and merely assemble them - it appears that they will comply.

There is a voluntary compliance that covers most of these products and the relevant authorities really are not interested in power cables.

C Tick and CE compliance on actual electronic devices is a different story. They must comply and carry big fines for importers/wholesalers on-selling them without compliance. I'm aware that in the past some have thought they get around this by not supplying an electrical lead within the box. This doesn't stand up and is not acceptable.

Opening post updated with link to,

Stereonet article - Does your Power cable comply,

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/does-your-power-cord-comply

If you're building a piece of DIY gear, then certified compliance is probably not a high priority.

However, the concern around thesafety of the gear would obviously inspire some self interested motivation to gain confidence with.

If safety is the driver, then why not subject the kit to a typical appliance test involving an insulation resistance test and an earth leakage test in line with what's called for by AS 3760?

Won't that be going a fair way to indicate whether the DIY gear is a serious safety risk? Couple that with a dim bulb test and wouldn't you have most bases covered? Then flick the switch and stand back.. 😉

Edited by astromo

3760 tests dont even come close to covering the design specs covered by the various "tick" certifications

3760 is called "In Service" because the assumption is the gear is already designed in such a way to be inherently safe(ish)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now