coruphius

can someone please...

help me make a crossover...

i wanna make a 4 way crossover with the freqs of

400hz, 3000hz, 10,000hz at 12db rolloff or betterer

would anybody be able to help out?

cheers!

Cory

Hi Cory, I need Thiele Small parameters on all the drivers.

hey Aslan, thought you might reply first, i think i asked you ages about x-overs.

i don't know if it might be worth it with jaycar response speakers which i was looking at just as an hobby set, using the 10khz for the foster ribbon tweeter. im still figuring out how i would like to have the layout of the speakers too.

ok, woofers

trying to debate if i should use the 10" or 12", so ill put down both..

might use 4 of them configured to 8 ohm (change ideas for me if my idea not that great ;))

10" woofer (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2198&CATID=&keywords=cw%2D2198&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Specifications:

•Nominal impedance:8 ohms

• Power nominal: 225WRMS

• Frequency response: 40Hz - 1kHz

• Sensitivity: 90dB (1W@1m)

• Qms: 1.011

• Qes: 0.473

• Qts: 0.322

• Vas: 21.76 litres

• Fs: 59.82Hz

• Tuning frequency: 40Hz-1kHz

12" woofer (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2199&CATID=&keywords=cw%2D2199&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Specifications

• Nominal impedance:8 ohms

• Power nominal: 225WRMS

• Frequency response: 28Hz - 550Hz

• Qms: 1.642

• Qes: 0.445

• Qts: 0.35

• Vas: 57.615 litres

• Fs: 33.172Hz

• Tuning Frequency(Hz): 28Hz-550Hz

Mids, i might use 4 in an 8 ohm config

5" mid (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2192&CATID=&keywords=cw%2D2192&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Specifications

•Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

• Power nominal: 50WRMS

• Frequency response: 70Hz - 7kHz

• Sensitivity: 88dB (1W@1m)

• Qms: 1.404

• Qes:0.717

• Qts: 0.474

• Fs: 67.63Hz

Tweeter, just the one

25mm tweet (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CT2009&CATID=&keywords=ct%2D2009&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Specifications:

•Nominal impedance: 5 ohms

• Power handling: 15WRMS

• Sensitivity: 92dB 2.83V at 1m

• Crossover frequency: 2500Hz

and last of all, the ribbon tweet

100mm ribbon (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CT2023&CATID=&keywords=ct%2D2023&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Specs:

Type: Regular-phase 100mm ribbon tweeter.

Power: 20 Watts RMS (cont), 50W max.

SPL: 92dB/Watt.

Frequency Response: 6,000 to 40,000Hz +/-2dB (SUBLIME!).

Impedance: 8ohms.

Crossover Frequency: 6,400Hz (12dB / Octave).

ill be also making centre and surrounds in a 3 way using the mid/woofers, tweeters and ribbons too..

big project to work on, but thats what id like to do :D

4 woofers, 4 mids, 1 tweeter, 1 super tweeter..............madness mate.

If you crank it up you'll blow the crud out of the tweeter if its only rated at 15watts.

Now, If I was you I'd consider 2 tweeters in series to compensate for the extra sensitivity, run them in an extended D'Appolito array with the 4 mids in a narrow baffle, and mount my 4 woofers behind that lot in a side firing configuration in a separate rear chamber.

But then again, everyone KNOWS I'm mad.

now that sounds exciting, any simple diagrams you could show of how it could look like? im mad with how i want stuff! i like loud but detailed lol!

would i use 2 normal tweeters or two ribbons?

now that sounds exciting, any simple diagrams you could show of how it could look like? im mad with how i want stuff! i like loud but detailed lol!

would i use 2 normal tweeters or two ribbons?

You need something with high power handling..............stacked ribbons would be better than stacked domes.

well looks like my plans have gone into the trash can, my other half doesnt want BIG TOWERS in the lounge lol, so i gonna have to build some petite bookshelves :rolleyes: she said nothing about the subs hehe

hmm... aslans design sounds pretty good - pity you can't do something like that :rolleyes:

i'd also recommend against using those ribbon tweeters down lower - i have a couple of pairs of them and have used them in my main and second setups in various configurations for a couple of years now, and have gone back to using them as super-tweeters (12kHz 6dB/oct HP and a steeper rolloff below 4kHz) as my peerless silk-domes sound far nicer in the lower frequency ranges (3.5-12kHz).

I suspect that it's a THD thing, as ribbons have very little linear travel, and will distort very easily when given any real excursion.

Your 10kHz original idea should be good though ;)