Sign in to follow this  
Amadeus

Yamaha RX-V757 not working

I have a Yamaha AV receiver RX-V757 and it will not power up. The main display is blank and there is no sound of relay engaging or any sound of life at all.

So far I have:

- disconnected all cables except main AC cable

- measured 247V on the input board where the AC input cable is attached

- taken fuse F1 off fuse holder and checked it with a multimeter and is ok

- measured voltage at the AC outlet and there is no power at all

Any suggestions?

I couldn't find a diagram online. I'm pretty confident in trying DIY repair if I find out what to do.

I've been quoted $800 :confused: for a repair at the hi-fi shop where I bought it, when a new comparable unit would cost $1000. 

They obviously are trying to sell me a new unit.  :mad:

Does anyone know any repairer that can be trusted in Melbourne?

I know it's not the exact same model, but it is so visually similar that i wonder if they share the same boards and the same problem:

It looks the same as my unit, I'll definitely try to replace the cap. Fun video too!  :)

Thank you

Changed the cap, working! Thanks TMM

Great outcome - Did you tell the shop owner?

Awesome, glad i could help :)

TMM, thanks for introducing me to EEV blog!

New career?..."Will fix broken Yamaha amps for $800 $750"  :P

TMM, thanks!

I had no power to my Yamaha RX-V757, exactly the same as the symptoms Amadeus was having here, on Saturday night. So no big sound for home movie night :-(

Through the power of google and this forum, I found your video later that night. A trip to Jaycar Electronics for a $0.55 630V 22nF capacitor, and 10 minutes with a soldering iron and a screwdriver later, and come Sunday lunch the receiver was back in business.

I tested it out with a couple of CDs, and then Star Wars Ep 2 cranked up for the kids (OK, and for me) - good as new! Thanks again.

Thanks for posting all this guys, had the same problem here in spain, cap measured 2267pf instead of 22nf.

We were away for the weekend, i think i left the amp on, many thunderstorms later, the receiver was u/s on our return.