I'm a room treatment convert! An amateur's non-scientific tinkering with Polymax XHD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Fresh Prince

Teddyboy,

Just a follow up...

Yes there are other options to a 33Hz Mode other than EQ:

• absorption takes up lots of room real estate - probably too much for 33Hz,
  • pressure/membrane traps are typically harder to implement, as they're typically narrowband, although the limp mass traps I linked to are "supposedly" broader band than normal membrane traps, and others on this forum say the same about tube traps (I have no experience with any membrane traps).
  • move your sub, or add more subs

But before trying any of the above (other than moving an existing sub), try EQ first (assuming you have the gear already) - control of a 33Hz mode is exactly where EQ shines, and is quick and easy (assuming you have the gear).

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I have now dialled in my 2 subs.

Eq has given me great results in the problem areas.

I'll be looking at more extensive treatments in the new room.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to pete macs experience. I have had some xhd100 in my room for a few weeks now. I ordered 2 sheets. 1 cut into 3x800 and the other 4x600 as I had specific spaces to fill. Randomly placed around the room where I had space but there are basically 2 at front wall, 3 at 1st reflection and sides and 2 on back wall. The difference is profound. You can hear the difference just speaking at normal volume in the room before any music is played. It may even be over damped for some but I am really enjoying it. My room is tiled with a rug so may have had a lot of reverb/echo to start.

For me, most simple way to explain is I am hearing more of the speaker and less of the room. There are plenty of diagrams around explaining the concept. So with that comes extra detail, extra dynamics and I can turn my volume up a bit more as well. Even watching TV on my separate cheap Pioneers has improved.

For a bit over $200 and a drive to Campbelltown the improvement is a no-brainer. I have spent much more on cables and dac swapping for much less of a result.

Aesthetically I have gotten used to them and the fact they stand on their own is great. They could easily be covered if you want to. I guess the same could probably achieved with soft furniture, carpet etc but I didn't want any more of that. Added benefit is I have added nearly 6 sq m of R3.0 insulation.

Also the polymax has no chemical odour and does not shed any material. The only issue I can see is that it will collect dust but it is fairly dense so may not be a problem. 

• Like 5

Peter, looking at the photo of your room, it seems the panel is in the centre of side wall, while the theoretical location is where the speaker reflects in the mirror to listening position which would be likely to be third point of the wall, did you check to have panel at that location?

Peter, looking at the photo of your room, it seems the panel is in the centre of side wall, while the theoretical location is where the speaker reflects in the mirror to listening position which would be likely to be third point of the wall, did you check to have panel at that location?

Tung, my room has long walls. The panels were perhaps 1/3 of the way along the wall between the speaker and my listening chair. I tested this positioning with a mirror, and experimented quite a lot. The whole room configuration has changed since then, with lounges in the room and the speakers being positioned along the long wall.

The polymax is now positioned behind the speakers, behind the lounge/listening position, and two spare panels are placed temporarily on the short walls during 'serious' listening sessions. That said, the temporarily positioned side panels don't make anywhere near the difference that they made with the previous room configuration. This is no doubt due to the extra soft furnishings in the room and the much increased distance between the speakers and side walls.

JMLabs7_zps4a8b21f0.jpg

JMLabs1_zps875a7bcf.jpg

Hi Peter, please give me the contact and address to buy.

I just put a blanket over my cd shelf on side wall and am very pleased with it.

Cheers, tung

Ben Mentiplay is the guy to contact. Tell him that Peter Mac sent you! :)

ben@martini.net.au

The pick-up address at Ingleburn is on the Martini website. You'll need to finalise the order prior to manufacture/cutting and pick-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was making enquiries about an outlet for Polymax in Brisbane & was advised that Martini had been "absorbed" by CSR/Bradford. For those interested Australian Insulation was given by CSR as their Queensland reseller. I am waiting to hear from them.

Any word on this? I would like to give this stuff a try. Need to tame reflections in my room pretty badly. The fact that I can move it out of the way when guests are over means I should be able to get away with loading the front room up with panels...

Damn, wish I had my own place, but renting and sharing also, It's a bit hard to place treatments in the lounge room.

Maybe I could just do a pair of modest size panels for behind the speakers :confused:

I dislike working with glass type stuff, worked too much with it in the building trade in the past....so might look at alternatives.

Edit: Hmm...a mate works at Plaster Master, and they sell acoustic stuff, must check on pricing :)

Edit2: thinking more, and I best not do it, would  be like I'm taking over a shared space, ah well....maybe one day.

Edited by ortofun

• 4 years later...

Doh! I should have came across this post before I went ahead and got some Woven Image's Echo panel https://www.wovenimage.com/brands/echopanel/ep-12mm-62/echopanelr-12mm.html. I have yet to put it up in the room and see the effect, but I guess it won't be as good as the polymax, at least it will help a little for colourful room.

I do need some bass traps, may be I should use the polymax for bass traps. I am thinking about getting one or two sheets of xhd100 and cutting it by 300x1200 and stack couple of these in each corner.

4 hours ago, bluehalk said:

I do need some bass traps, may be I should use the polymax for bass traps. I am thinking about getting one or two sheets of xhd100 and cutting it by 300x1200 and stack couple of these in each corner.

300 wide is a bit skinny to trap bass - IMO 600mm wide would be the minimum, but only because 600mm wide is efficient for using sheets - wider would be better again, and 200mm deep, straddling corners.

Unfortunately absorption needs to be big to trap bass.

cheers

Mike 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluehalk said:

Doh! I should have came across this post before I went ahead and got some Woven Image's Echo panel https://www.wovenimage.com/brands/echopanel/ep-12mm-62/echopanelr-12mm.html. I have yet to put it up in the room and see the effect, but I guess it won't be as good as the polymax, at least it will help a little for colourful room.

Those panels don't do anything except at high frequencies.   They're quite different to the Polymax batts you mentioned.... which one is better depends on what problem you're trying to solve.