Sign in to follow this  
nk7

Where Do You Buy Your Wine From?

Haven't checked out any more WA wineries but Margaret River makes great wine and I liked the Cape Mentelle as their vines are now getting old and making fantastic wine. I think I first tried their Cab Sav 25 years ago.

In terms of what ages well, there are many opinions. Winemakers will generally say something like "oh, drink now until 2050". Wine made for aging will slowly get to its best, stay at that level for a year or two and age gracefully. So you have some leeway. I have had wine past its prime and you can taste it, although only very rarely have I had a wine too far past its prime such that it had gone off.

In terms of when you drink a particular wine I generally refer to Australian and New Zealand Wine Vintages, commonly referred to as the gold book. It lists a best year to drink and from there you take a punt, if you have half a dozen you can drink over a few years. Aging wine is a leap of faith although I have been very lucky and never had a corked wine. Lot's of wines under metal caps these days so corking is less of a problem. Just make sure you age wine which is made to age and try and keep it in a stable and dark environment. I love aged wine so I'm willing to take the risk and it took me years to really build up a cellar. Ironically I don't drink all that often which allows me to afford the good stuff. I now have enough to put away new purchases and drink old wines I have had for years.

My biggest leap of faith is the 1988 Hill of Grace I have had for a couple of decades, $35 at the cellar door from memory. That should be in its prime about now and I will crack it open soon, when the occasion warrants.

This is yet another expensive hobby, but when you taste a really good wine which has bottle age you don't wonder why people sit on bottles of wine for many years. My only issue is with the people who buy wine with no intention of drinking it - that is why the winemaker made the wine and why wine exists.

DS

I did notice this last night but wonder if the TWE is worth it? Minimum buy for shares including fees is roughly $550 nowadays. So long as I make my money back...

Maybe, maybe not.  

Depends on your consumption and what price level you normally buy at.  We have 3 participants so we have a reasonable turnover.  The TWE stuff is sometimes quite 'cheap' if they happen to have it on special.   eg.   Seppelt Drumborg Pinot at half RRP. St. Huberts The Stag Pinot Noir $13ish compared to Dans at $23ish.  Yet, Metala White Label Shiraz Cab is slightly cheaper at Dans.  I'm not recommending any of these, just showing that ya gotta know your prices and be on the lookout.

So it depends.

My biggest leap of faith is the 1988 Hill of Grace I have had for a couple of decades, $35 at the cellar door from memory. That should be in its prime about now and I will crack it open soon, when the occasion warrants.

This is yet another expensive hobby, but when you taste a really good wine which has bottle age you don't wonder why people sit on bottles of wine for many years. My only issue is with the people who buy wine with no intention of drinking it - that is why the winemaker made the wine and why wine exists.

DS

Remember DS sharing is caring. 

Maybe, maybe not.  

Depends on your consumption and what price level you normally buy at.  We have 3 participants so we have a reasonable turnover.  The TWE stuff is sometimes quite 'cheap' if they happen to have it on special.   eg.   Seppelt Drumborg Pinot at half RRP. St. Huberts The Stag Pinot Noir $13ish compared to Dans at $23ish.  Yet, Metala White Label Shiraz Cab is slightly cheaper at Dans.  I'm not recommending any of these, just showing that ya gotta know your prices and be on the lookout.

So it depends.

TWE under takeover bid I see....I'll keep an eye on them. Grange is of course ever popular.

TWE under takeover bid I see....I'll keep an eye on them. Grange is of course ever popular.

They are.  When this stable of brands was Fosters they couldn't make a go of it nor when it was Mildara/Blass/Rothbury/Beringer/Rosemount et al and Southcorp before that.  Either it is impossible to run a public wine company at a profit or the management of wine companies are completely incompetent - or both.

I stopped buying Grange when it hit $10 per bottle.

Edited by aechmea

…….

I stopped buying Grange when it hit $10 per bottle.

that would have been early 70s - know a colleague who bought a carton of Grange and Hill Of Grace every year until early 80s

Bought 14 bottles of 76 grange for $13 a bottle in 83 at a Redcliffe bottlo(that's in Brissy) and drank them all that year and also used them in cooking.

Regrets? Maybe should of hung on to a couple of them to age them a bit but never been one to mind the future to much.

So not much greatness coming from Grange in the recent years?

So not much greatness coming from Grange in the recent years?

Still a very good glass of wine, just overpriced/overhyped by several hundred percent. A great many more exciting things in the wine world for a lot less money.

I use www.winestar.com.au - great prices, good service. Most of the time you'll have the goods within two days of placing the order.

Edited by Rockford

Only one way to buy wine . What I do is hold a GTG and invite a bunch of guys over.

They are all very polite and don’t like to arrive empty handed. Quite a few even know a bit about wine so don’t just choose the best looking label in the $12 to $15 dollar bracket.

The good news is they all have to drive home so can’t have to much to drink, even better they have kids and home commitments so can not stay all that long. Always a few bottles left, not only do I get one for the cupboard I have an instant stash to take to the next GTG / dinner / party etc. Furthermore it doesn’t tend to taste terrible due to my previously mentioned nice label buying technique.

Hahaha.

You've obviously not been to a real GTG.

A proper GTG has @djb in attendance who grabs the best seat in the house and always...always nabs the best wine from all&sundry. There's never anything left.

I've been to few and accompanied both 'all' and once I went to one with 'sundry' and he purloined the lot from both of them. Good vintages and none of your under 20 buck vinegar that many bring to GTG's.

He bowled over a 82 Rutherglen Durif at GTG that I was letting breathe. It actually needed decanting through muslin such was the crust upon it but that's no impediment to our man with the bucket glass.

A lot goes on under that beard that most never see or indeed notice.

I'm looking forward to a report from a GTG where DJB is lurking and hearing that there is actually a bottle that's not empty...

His usual response when asked if it's all gone(the wine).Gandalf.gif.06f2808306a4cedad90c687a14cab537.gif

Cruel but true

Aldi along with my Vodka. Oh the Vodka is harsh but we have been broke.