Sign in to follow this  
nk7

Where Do You Buy Your Wine From?

Hey folks 

I realise there is a contingent of single malt aficionados here on SNA but I wonder if there is perhaps to a lesser extent wine connoisseurs lurking about to lend a hand. Not claiming to be one myself but thought I might ask a question.

Now the above question relates to a CellarMasters 'gift' card I recently received for being a Woolies Everyday saver card user to use in the month of June (I presume something to do with the end of financial year). The offer extended to several cases of wine, ranging in 12/16 bottle cases of red or white only or mixed varieties. 

A quick internet search of any of the bottles found in such cases yielded marginal results with majority belonging to or related to cellarmasters. This suggested cellarmasters exclusively stocking this particular bottle. A 'woolies select' so to speak. 

We all know Woolies and Coles have majority marketshare in AU over the wine industry and private sellers/cellar doors cannot compete against the larger volume lower price duopoly. In fact there are some claims whereby Woolies/Coles still label the cheaper bought wine as if still made by the private label - but in fact grapes are grown in one place and bottled elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_Z6QJxr9U

The video mentions a website: http://whomakesmywine.com.au/ which has details on some the brands owned by Woolies and Coles privately but aren't publicly labelled. 

Now I am not naive enough to consider this another case of David vs the big evil corporation (Goliath). And it's not to say that even though the retailers will be trying more and more to buy bulk grapes at a lower price, the quality of wine should still be up to a certain level of quality. Considering most Australians are having difficulties with budget cuts and the lot, shelling out more to boutique winemakers would be a big no no especially if you can get the same 'brand' at the bottle o' for cheaper. 

No this not a rant, note even a public information post. I just wanted to know where else do others buy wine from if not from these major companies (remembering of course not all brands are owned by woolies/coles)? That is, do you object to any of this and subscribe to more independent channels? Online? Private cellars/wineclubs? Or do we take another sip of that vintage Coles red, sit back in our chair and merely let the music play. 

Edited by nk7

the question here really is what do you like? once that is decided then google will pretty quickly tell you where the best bang for buck is.

if your question is really  - I'm not sure what I like but I wonder if there is better out there? then the obvious answer is yes as the mainstream Woolies and Coles gear is likely readily bested 

I personally won't buy wine that I do not know or understand the provenance of - so those generic labels masking some unknown vineyards don't do it for me

I think Kemeny's do selected "dozens" of name wines but likely more expensive than what you have mentioned

as in HiFi and life partners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I buy 90% of my wine from graysonline.com.au

The way I look at it is that wineries, when overstocked, cannot discount their wines in retail outlets or at the cellar door without damaging the brand.

The alternative is to auction the excess stock. The result is no damage to brand but great bargains for wolster. ;)

the question here really is what do you like? once that is decided then google will pretty quickly tell you where the best bang for buck is.

if your question is really  - I'm not sure what I like but I wonder if there is better out there? then the obvious answer is yes as the mainstream Woolies and Coles gear is likely readily bested 

I personally won't buy wine that I do not know or understand the provenance of - so those generic labels masking some unknown vineyards don't do it for me

I think Kemeny's do selected "dozens" of name wines but likely more expensive than what you have mentioned

as in HiFi and life partners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I remember reading about the Hidden labels they do but never bought from them. They seem to have great quality wine and reduced prices and some aged as well. I think a bit of searching and you should be able to determine the lineage of the bottle in question. I like this approach.

An article I found between typing my reply: http://briard.typepad.com/get_the_picture/2012/08/kemenys-hidden-labels-uncovered.html

An old post but wonder if quality is still good nowadays Alittlewino?

I buy 90% of my wine from graysonline.com.au

The way I look at it is that wineries, when overstocked, cannot discount their wines in retail outlets or at the cellar door without damaging the brand.

The alternative is to auction the excess stock. The result is no damage to brand but great bargains for wolster. ;)

Now this is new to me. Wine on grays?! A penny saved for the frugal.

I guess that's the punt with hidden labels - I wouldn't now about what they are doing today - but they also do mixed and straight dozens of name brands as well - just at more $

One interesting tid bit that I noticed as I was perusing cellarmasters/woolies everyday saver offers - a few notes on the bottles being sold had vague descriptions suggesting a 5 star vineyard or mentioned by Halliday or similar when in fact the bottle itself has no awards in particular. Or they start the description with...'XXX' label is a customer favourite. I should confess I do sometimes commend such sly methods of advertising. Call it the capitalist in me. 

This seems very modern and fresh. Almost like it's inviting a more younger audience. Question is if they take advantage and try and sell rubbish to unknowing customers. How is your experience? I will look into this, thanks.

I guess that's the punt with hidden labels - I wouldn't now about what they are doing today - but they also do mixed and straight dozens of name brands as well - just at more $

And I just found this: http://bestwinesunder20.com.au/current-bargains/kemenys/

Some latest stuff for Kemenys as well as what some of the hidden labels are meant to be. Also have Dan Murphys, and even some independent specials. Bit sceptical of website addresses with the word 'best' in the main body.

I am on a few mailing lists at wineries. Used to be on 3 wineries' mailing lists but Cape Mentelle seem to have outsourced theirs so now on Zema Estate and Jasper Hill. Thinking about finding another mailing list to go on. This does mean my wine cellar is dominated by 3 wineries but I also go to cellar doors and Dan Murphys. I often notice the tastings at Dan Murphys on a Saturday and go and have a look. Buy wine if I like it. I have about 270 bottles in the cellar and I like to drink wine which has a fair bit of bottle age.

DS

I agree with twwen2, easily the best place to buy wine is vinomofo.com. Excellent bargains on truly good wines, some exceptional prices on quality stuff and just great secret deals on labelled but unidentified wines. They also have a one click purchase option that is far too tempting. It's variety leaves all the discount chains for dead.

...oh and I am not connected with the company at all, just a happy customer.

Guest BobbyD

Hello,

Well I will admit that I am a wine victim and have built a reasonable sized cellar over the years.

I recommend

http://www.mycellars.com.au/

Caters for all budgets and tastes and if you spend more then $250 it's free delivery.

Best of luck

SET boy

This seems very modern and fresh. Almost like it's inviting a more younger audience. Question is if they take advantage and try and sell rubbish to unknowing customers. How is your experience? I will look into this, thanks.

I love it; their marketing is simply superb and gets me every time. They're not like an online warehouse - they offer a couple of new wines each day and only make them available for a certain time. As someone relatively new to the wine scene and still learning what I like, I've had only good experiences with my purchases. Never a bad one, and some seriously good wines.

They also do "secret deals" where they tell you the variety (and even then, not always), region, rating etc - these are good fun and I've had some cracking drops out of them (Yalumba, Xanadu, Cape Mentelle). 

I love it; their marketing is simply superb and gets me every time. They're not like an online warehouse - they offer a couple of new wines each day and only make them available for a certain time. As someone relatively new to the wine scene and still learning what I like, I've had only good experiences with my purchases. Never a bad one, and some seriously good wines.

They also do "secret deals" where they tell you the variety (and even then, not always), region, rating etc - these are good fun and I've had some cracking drops out of them (Yalumba, Xanadu, Cape Mentelle).

very clever marketing, but in 12 months of buying from them I have only had one wine that I thought was very average. it was a sparkling and I paid $6 per bottle so i should have known better. in general I would say most of their offerings are at least 50% less than retail and of excellent quality....end of rave No 2.