Dolby Atmos

I'm more interested in DTSs and Aeros versions of 3D audio. DTS UHD is 100% object audio through all discreet channels as apposed to ATMOS being bed audio (standard 5.1 or 7.1 track via TrueHD) and then object audio for the ceiling speakers.

I'm more interested in DTSs and Aeros versions of 3D audio. DTS UHD is 100% object audio through all discreet channels as apposed to ATMOS being bed audio (standard 5.1 or 7.1 track via TrueHD) and then object audio for the ceiling speakers.

Well that's just awesome. More options and future upgrade paths to obsolescence! Will it ever end? Won't be any space for plaster on my walls soon with a 25.4.18 system......! Edited by Zammo

Guest Peter the Greek

I am not too concerned about the Atmos v UHD thing. I reckon they'll all arrive at the same speaker layout as what Atmos has proposed, it'll be too hard otherwise.

And on that note, I have decided to go with totally difference speakers for the ceiling as opposed to the walls

I am not too concerned about the Atmos v UHD thing. I reckon they'll all arrive at the same speaker layout as what Atmos has proposed, it'll be too hard otherwise.

And on that note, I have decided to go with totally difference speakers for the ceiling as opposed to the walls

Hi Peter what speakers do you have on the wall? And what type of ceiling speakers you looking at buying ?

We're getting Sonance VP66R speakers for kids rumpus room ceiling. Reviews seem pretty positive. If I like them, may consider using them for ceiling in man cave. Obviously won't be anywhere near the league of front/centre/surrounds, but should suffice for Atmos effects.

Guest Peter the Greek

Hi Peter what speakers do you have on the wall? And what type of ceiling speakers you looking at buying ?

A DIY two way (8" + probably an AMT) for the walls

Probably the JBL 328C for the ceiling or a Tannoy DC6i

We're getting Sonance VP66R speakers for kids rumpus room ceiling. Reviews seem pretty positive. If I like them, may consider using them for ceiling in man cave. Obviously won't be anywhere near the league of front/centre/surrounds, but should suffice for Atmos effects.

I've actually got a pair of SONANCE VP85R for sale. SONANCE are good speakers :) Edited by franin

• 10 months later...

Without trying to revive and old thread, is it worth investing in ATMOS technology. With all the DVD stores slowly closing, there will bevery few places to hire movies with ATMOS. Once they all close, will the movie streaming services stream ATMOS movies, or will they de graded format just like Apple TV or Foxtel are today.

What's the future of home movies

Thats a good question JK. I invested in a 3D projector and bought 4 sets of glasses and a new 3D capable player about 2 years ago when I moved to Copenhagen, just before most of the stores here shut there doors. I've watched a grand total two 3D movies on the system as its been all streaming, don't want to make that mistake again...

The whole idea of discrete channels in the ceiling and all 'round the walls fascinates me. I think melbourne's only Atmos cinema is at Crown...and I won't go there for love or money!!

Cheers

M

There's  atmos in Craigieburn's United Cinemas. Pretty great sound.

• Like 1

same here. bose tried to make a living on it once... the way I read it the reflected sound thing is more of a compromise solution for those that cant fit ceiling speakers.

And in-ceiling speakers are for losers who dont have the balls to nail their floorstanding speakers to their ceiling. 

• Like 1

Well done DC1138!!!

You have come up with a new speaker model......

The........CEILING HANGER....... :P

PRO's.....

1. Could actually aid in achieving ear height tweeters.

2. Use as a Main should definitely produce that..........."instruments suspended in space with airy floating vocals"..........type of sound 

CONS.....

1. Ceiling carpet or floor ( ceiling??) boards optional.........concrete slab not recommended.

2. Spikes may struggle to grip regardless of surface.

3. Large granite pavers for under plinths not advisable.

4. WAF probably best advised to place pot plants......etc....elsewhere.

5. Only colour available............"Ceiling White"

6. Installation costs......insurance/labour....etc.............DIY preferable.

7. Increased medicinal costs due to expected sharp rise in number of bumps and bruises to head area.

8. Potential for leaking in ferrofluid cooled tweeters....... 

How long till someone would say you need their special.........."inverted construction"...........speaker cable to optimise them??

Cheers and :sorry:

Edited by JohnL

And in-ceiling speakers are for losers who dont have the balls to nail their floorstanding speakers to their ceiling.

:lol: do be sure to post pics of your setup once done with your floor standers hanging off the ceiling :D

• Like 1

The JBL Synthesis Atmos setup looks like the way to go. Of course, you will need a multi-million dollar house with the dedicated home theatre wing installed, for this particular set up to be worth its outlay for you. I only have a Klipsch 5.1ch system, still boxed, that I have been waiting to hook up for over 2 years. I don't even have a digital antenna installed yet as the cost of renovating my house has already neared the absurd mark for me (under 300 grand.) I never watch tv/movies anymore and honestly don't miss the cinemas which I can't remember attending recently (at least 5 years ago.) I have told friends about Dolby Atmos and they respond with the question, "What is that, a new app?"

Dolby Atmos will appeal to the well heeled who don't mind upgrading to the latest technological breakthrough in home-cinema, every couple of years. It appeals to the tech junkies who love advances in home theatre. But these are minute percentiles of the general population. It will appeal to gamers as well so long as they can foot the bill for installation.

Even with simple setups, as a few members have already alluded to in previous posts, it's quite a daunting challenge to add more speakers in a room that for most people will not be able to accommodate all this extra equipment. I think this particular format is limited to a few million people worldwide who will get immense enjoyment from it initially, but then interest may wane in the same way it has with other surround sound formats. There are very few Dolby Atmos encoded Blu Rays available. Most of the movies available now are junk. Will Dolby Atmos improve what movie studios are able to produce in order to make it a more pleasant or memorable experience as opposed to what has been made previously? Will the extra sound channels be truly immersive in the sense that people will be impressed that they must purchase these add-ons to enjoy a mediocre cinematic experience?

JBLSynthesis_ATMOS.png

• 2 weeks later...

well one little step closer to Atmos…with ordering some focal electra in ceiling surrounds.. just one pair which can handle with the 2 spare channels on my power amp. haven't completely worked out exact positioning or cable runs :D 

but am sure a couple I should be able to fit in…somehow hehe

probably sit in a box 6 months anyways …give me a bit of time to figure out the best config. also waiting for dts-x info to be settled too. don't want to put any in ceilings in while that isn't defined.

also looking into a couple of dynamite dynaboxes since my inceiligns will go in the ceiling cavity between ground floor and floor above. and want to maintain best integrity and ability we have now to watch movies etc downstairs while not disturbing kids asleep upstairs :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1st step taken,

20671951314_5f6ef75708_b.jpg

with picking up a pair of focal in ceilings, and dynamat dynaboxes,

also put a deposit on some focal chorus rears to replace my sub sonics I run back there. if am going to lower my rear speakers  I might as well take as opportunity to match up with rest of my focal speakers.

in another months time will likely pick up another set of focal in ceilings and dynaboxes as I figured out to install the first set it will actually help to install the next set at the same time to run my cables through the ceiling ! 

looking at the moment hopefully over christmas break at latest to have all setup and going..if not earlier if funds and time permits !  

• Like 3

rrp $200 though who knows going forward with our collapsing dollar !

Each or a pair. The box they are in look larger than the speaker box. Also, did you buy locally, if so which dealer

I am probably going to use in wall rear speakers, but am not 100% sold but these might just get me over the line.

rrp $200 though who knows going forward with our collapsing dollar !

Edited by JkSpinner

Each or a pair. The box they are in look larger than the speaker box. Also, did you buy locally, if so which dealer

I am probably going to use in wall rear speakers, but am not 100% sold but these might just get me over the line.

local and melbourne hifi. and that is each.

they are not a small thing, and are specifically made for in ceiling use, for in wall dynamat sell another product called the En-wall

http://www.dynamat.com/architectural-home/architectural-home-enwall/

and to clarify in case confusion the dynaboxes have purchased are to go with the in ceiling focals, for rears I will be going on wall with a pair of focal chorus sr700, 

http://www.focal.com/en/chorus-700/407-chorus-sr-700-3544054691243.html

• 1 month later...

cant wait for atmos capability in my system...though it will be a long wait biggrin.png

we sure get a treat audio wise these days, even without atmos san andreas has a stunner of an audio track

check out the audio review for san andreas re what atmos brings :) 

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/21911/sanandreas3d.html

"The Audio: Rating the Sound

Note: Yours truly has not yet upgraded to the Dolby Atomos system (the featured track here plays in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for the rest of us), so I enlisted the aid of Atmos guru and fellow HDD reviewer Michael S. Palmer to check out 'San Andreas's Atmos track and report back. What follows are his impressions of the Atmos audio experience.

'San Andreas' crumbles, cracks, and roars onto Blu-ray with a blistering, reference quality Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core) sound mix that boasts robust LFE, immersive sound effects panning, and copious use of height speakers.

While it doesn't dethrone Mad Max: Fury Road or Gravity as the best Dolby Atmos has to offer, 'San Andreas' delivers a monster of a mix that sounds even better in Dolby Atmos than 7.1, but let's first talk about the basics. Dialogue is clear no matter the on-screen chaos. Sound effects pan from front to back and left to right with great aplomb – everything from autorotating helicopters to crashing waves and crumbling concrete define the 360-degree sound field. And the LFE... never overbearing, but always supportive, delivering deep, room-shaking rumbles. Remember, this is a movie that features several dozen timbering skyscrapers, most of which land with a roaring thunder. Those that do not land with big bass are likely depicted in sequences where the track pulls back to revel in the somber musical score by Andrew Lockington. Bottom line, it all sounds great and offers a lot of whiz-bang-look-at-me sound design elements.

And then we add in the Atmos height speakers...

Which lifts the whole mix, and lean the audience into the screen. Helicopter rotors whirl overhead as do splashing waves, buzzing alarms, and two perfectly placed container ship propeller blades threatening to dice our heroes to pieces. Overall, this is a demo-worthy Blu-ray that will excite surround sound enthusiasts (particularly the Atmos early adopters), though if I had one note, it's that I wish the story had provided a little more diversity for its sound design. Everything sounds tip top, don't get me wrong, but for some viewers, you can only have so many helicopter sequences and crumbling buildings before it all begins to sound a little familiar.

Thankfully, after a semi-repetitive first half, the film's sound mix shifts environments some and shows a little more restraint (along with some very nice world-building atmospherics). For more info about the best 'San Andreas' has to offer, check out our other post, Top 10 Dolby Atmos Demos in San Andreas."

and wow game of thrones to be brought on blu-ray with atmos as well ! 

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/HBO/Disc_Announcements/atmos-is-coming-hbo-releasing-game-of-thrones-dolby-atmos-blurays-in-early-november/26881