Ypsilon SUT

Has anybody have experience with this SUT? I am planing to use it with my Herron VTPH-2 phono

Thx

Why do you want to use a SUT?  IMO you will get better sound with a head amp - eg. AKSA 'Paris'. ;)

Unfortunately, you being where you are means I can't lend you mine so you can check it out. :(

Regards,

Andy

I believe it will be a superb combination.

I a pretty sure member @@vmhf used to own the Heron and the Ypsilon SUT. He preferred it to his Boulder 1008 phono stage from memory

I also preferred the Herron Ypsilon combo over Boulder in @@vmhf system, and also over the Herron MC input which is noisy.

I use an Ypsilon MC16 SUT with a Leben phono. I am a very happy camper, love the sound, only issue is the low gain from the Leben. The Leben may move on one day but that Ypsilon will be a permanent fixture in my system. it would by lovely to have an Ypsilon VPS-100 sitting on the rack connected up to the MC16. one can only dream.

I am sure you are aware but there are 3 Ypsilon SUTs. You need to ensure you match to both your phono and cart.

Good luck and report back on how things go.

• Like 1

D10, I heartily recommend the Ypsilon SUT. Having it connected to my Herron VTPH-2 lifted its performance well above the Boulder 1008 phono from a musical point of view. I have since moved both Herron and Ypsilon on as I use a Lyra Erodian SUT into my Shindo preamp with onboard MM phono stage.

Viognier brought over his Ypsilon SUT to do a bit of a head to head with the Erodian SUT which is at a similar price point. We found the results very close with no clear winner. Although had the Ypsilon been matched perfectly with my Lyra Atlas cart with the correct gain and loading I suspect the Ypsilon would smash the Erodian to smitherines :thumb:

• Like 2

@@vmhf Victor, it would be interesting to hear the two SUT head to head and spending some time loading the Atlas correctly. My suspicions are that there won't be too much smashing and it will be down to personal taste. When we first put the Ypsilon in after listening to the Erodion we both went no contest, the hulk from Greece wins hands down, but after some listening it was "I think I like the piano tone on the Lyra, or that double bass sounds a bit more realistic". The Ypsilon just seems a bit more lively (in a good way) and forward in presentation and the Erodion connected to the Atlas has something special going in relation to tonal accuracy.

One thing I can guarantee is if you drop the Ypsilon from a height onto the Erodion there will be some smashing to smithereens. Reverse roles and the Ypsilon will probably remain unscathed. It's a solid lump.

• Like 1

Summed up very nicely Mark.

That's the difficulty of doing comparisons of HIFI of any kind. 

At the end of the day one has to just go with the sound they like and enjoy.

• Like 2