Sign in to follow this  

"Records" or "vinyl"? **Major rant alert!** You've been warned :)

Huh? so which one is it then?

Well, unless you're running a very old shellac setup, it's certainly not a "needle" imho.  The stylus is part of the cartridge, so I think the correct terminology should be cartridge, since it's the sum of the parts.  I mean, you don't say 'the suspension" or "the cantilever" do you, even though they're both critical parts of a cartridge.  Even back in the day, MM and MCs were not common, the ordinary person almost certainly owned a ceramic cartridge.  

That's how I remember it too. The 'album' was the set of songs, so you could buy the album on cassette, but you couldn't buy the record on cassette. :)

yeah, that's a well put example. 

Huh? so which one is it then?

Well, unless you're running a very old shellac setup, it's certainly not a "needle" imho.  The stylus is part of the cartridge, so I think the correct terminology should be cartridge, since it's the sum of the parts.  I mean, you don't say 'the suspension" or "the cantilever" do you, even though they're both critical parts of a cartridge.  Even back in the day, MM and MCs were not common, the ordinary person almost certainly owned a ceramic cartridge.  

I think you misunderstood the question valvelover

I think you misunderstood the question valvelover

I got the question, and I ignored it.  If someone wants to call it a needle, they can, I'll feel free to disagree though.  And vice versa.  Both 'needle' and 'vinyls' are very misleading terms from a technical perspective imho and that is why I prefer not to use them.  Others are less technically minded, so can quite happily use these terms.  

Somebody where I work calls his motorcycle a scooter. (What relevance does this have? Dunno.....it makes a noise.)

I got the question, and I ignored it. 

No you didn't

No you didn't

well, obviously I've interpreted this question in a different fashion than you intended.  Care to elaborate?

Compare and contrast the two posts of yours that I quoted

At the end of the day ,they're simply songs,and collections thereof. How you classify and /or describe them is wholly subjective and possibly redundant. The English language is a complex beast.Having said that these debates make for interesting and sometimes comical reading.

Edited by Blk plastic2

Compare and contrast the two posts of yours that I quoted

yes, I did understand your original question and I ignored it.  I guess others must have thought that I had misunderstood your earlier question, hence asking for clarification.  I guess you can consider my earlier post a paradox :P