"Records" or "vinyl"? **Major rant alert!** You've been warned :)

Wax = 78s

Records = 45s

LPs = 33.333...s

Vinyl = inferior wall cladding

That is all.

Records = generic for all records.

Singles = 45s

Albums = LP (33 1/3)

Vinyls = young people destroying the English language.  :(

• Like 1

:)

One is retiring to the sittingroom where one will be rotating selected microgroove phonographic recordings on ones gramophone.

53272290.jpg

:lol:

ones one's.

They were always LPs to me/us in the day. You'd go to the record store or mostly we called the store by its name, e.g. Went to Memorydiscs and picked up a few LPs. 45s were always "singles"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is the reason they are called albums:

78rpm%252520albums.jpg

Now, there was a problem. A pile of 10" records turning at 78rpm it took a lot of records (not vinyls, these were made of shellac remember).

But there was a solution, a long playing record which would fit around 45 minutes on both sides. Hence the term LP.

copy-of-thats-all-right-sun-78rpm.jpg

These spun at 33.3rpm and proved to be a better solution than 45rmp records which we only used for single songs, hence singles.

bullamakanka.dr.who.single.jpg

And to get an extended mix we could put an extended version of a song on a 12" and spin it at 45rpm, often called an EP (extended play) or various brand names such as Maxi Single and the like:

Stars_On_45_-_Stars_On_45_%2812_Inch_Sin

All sorts of names but not vinyls!

DS

• Like 2

Ok ok we've already established the dictionary and Wikipedia definitions of the different formats.

;)

And it seems that referring to big black shiny grooved flat round objects as vinyl is a relatively recent thing.

I find it interesting that people use the argument that they were originally called records as their reason for doing so.

We don't refer to cars as automobiles or pushbikes as velocipedes in everyday talk.

We all have things that we're interested in and know about and when someone uses the "wrong" word we feel the need to correct them.

It's human nature.

I have no interest in motorbikes for example.

To me, there are two kinds.

Road bikes and dirt bikes.

I know this is not the case but at the end of the day I don't care.

Still, I feel the need to correct people when they call Psytrance "Techno" or call a shovel a spade.

To say that you have an album on vinyl is probably right, as the recording of the album is housed on a piece vinyl.

As long as you don't say vinyls.

I used to get my knickers in a twist about this, but really, language changes and evolves. The only languages that don't are dead ones, like latin (hence it's use fo scientific names). If you old farts think this is something worth worrying about, you really need to start paying better attention to the world around you

Rant off

• Like 1

you old farts

HEY!

I'm still 30-something for another couple of weeks, thankyouverymuch ;)

:lol:

Either way I'm not worrying about the names of vinyl/records/LPs.

I'm just curious what people call them.

Still interested to hear a few other non-English terms and how they relate to other words in other languages by the way...

Must be a few more "foreigners" on this forum, surely?

:unsure:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

They did a car or van on Pimp My Ride and put records on the floor and covered them with clear resin, I think.

Wanna do a coffee table like that one day.

you could ride  the record wave on your vinyl surfboard???

Hehe I saw that pic somewhere just the other day.

Love it!

And thought everything was cool before it was cool to think that things were cool before they were cool.

Even though he's only 24

;)

This is the reason they are called albums:

78rpm%252520albums.jpg

Great photo! Actually, it is the above books with no discs in them that were originally called recording albums, or record albums for short. The discs were not called albums at all, nor records. They were called gramophone discs -- as distinct from cylindrical phonograph discs.

I suspect that the generic term for anything that plays on a flat-top gramophone is still 'gramophone disc'. You could argue that 'record' is slang, and abbreviated slang at that, like 'bro. Ditto for LP, 45, EP, album, and vinyl.

But convention probably rules in the end. And if 'vinyl' becomes convention, then it has as much right as the previous slang convention, 'record'.