Sign in to follow this  
Krispy Audio

Esoteric's new HR Audio Player

Got an Esoteric Grandioso D1 dac? No? How about a D-07x, D-02, or any of the K-series SACD players? 

Well if you do and you are feeding it with a computer, then this is your new FREE player.

Click here for more info and to download. 

main.jpg

Looks a lot like the Teac one that works with my UD-501 :)

main.jpg

Looks identical save the logo! Unsurprising though being related companies - have you tried it yet Doggie?

I tried it a while ago :) 

I still prefer JRiver for the ease of use (iPad remote) on the Teac and also for the ability to do 2xDSD up sampling which I find to be excellent. 

Have to give credit to Teac and Esoteric (I am aware of their joint heritage ;) ) for giving their users a free option to make the full use of their devices tho. 

this is quite interesting as the page seems to indicate that all the K series SACD players can now, with this HD audio player, play back DSD files through their USB DAC in.  This is something that the K SACD players could not do before.

This is quite significant for people who have a reasonable collection of SACD, AND also play or want to play downloaded DSD files, as there are very few SACD players out there that have DSD USB in, plus the fact that Esoteric uses AKM DAC which seems to bypass DSD to PCM conversion, but please correct me if I am wrong.

However, the page is a bit confusing, on one end it says:

"Supported models: Grandioso D1,D-02,D-07X,K-01,K-03,K-05,K-07

then

-The Grandioso D1 is the only model with which DSD file playback is possible (as of May 2014).
-A file cannot be played back if it exceeds the supported format specifications of the equipment.

Support for playback of 2.8/5.6MHz DSD files using ASIO 2.1 and DoP 

When using Windows with a Grandioso D1, DSD native playback, which converts DSD directly to analog without conversion to a PCM format, is supported. Playback using ASIO 2.1 and DoP (DSD Audio over PCM Frames) is possible, and both 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD files are supported."

I wonder if it means the HD player works with all models mentioned, but only the D1 is able to play back DSD files through USB?

Any Esoteric owners can verify?
Edited by raykkho

The later part of your post is correct, only the D1 supports DSD. So the HR software works for DSD but it's dac-dependant.

There will be a K-01x and K-03x released possibly very late this year which will support DSD, as well as an upgrade option for existing K-01 and K-03 owners. 

Esoteric has released a new line of K series players (K01X, K03X and others as well, I believe) which change the USB input from a proprietary protocol to one that is USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant (note this is not the same thing as USB 2.0 compliant) which supports 

a. native OS support on Mac OS 10.6.8 and up

b. newer Linux distros

c. DSD over PCM encapsulation on USB.

I believe this software player will play DSD on those devices as well.

I think there are plans (later stage) to upgrade the K01/K03s etc to provide that same USB functionality as well, similar to the way W4S updated their older DAC2 to USB Audio Class 2.0 implementation and DSD functionality for older units.

Thanks guys, also confirmed by a K03 user that DSD is a no go through USB, hope the DSD through USB will quickly trickle down to more 'affordable' models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk