Marc

DEQX Owners Thread

22 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I measure my tall wide speakers (2m x .75m) at 3m. ie. about 1.5 times the largest dimension. It just seems right in an effort to get some sound from the top, bottom and sides of the speakers.  Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know.  I seem to recall Alan saying that it doesn't matter much.  The current manual says something along the lines of, measure further away with large speakers.  One day I will do an almikel and measure outside, off the ground for the best pseudo-anechoic measurement.  The logistics of such an exercise though is a bit impenetrable.

A bit risky measuring magneplanar 20.7 outside. A little gust of wind could break the tweeter ribbon.

4 hours ago, aab said:

A bit risky measuring magneplanar 20.7 outside. A little gust of wind could break the tweeter ribbon.

Yes indeed ....  I would have to pick the time very carefully to avoid weather, wildlife and freeway and aircraft noise.  All too hard really which is why it's still just a thought bubble.

16 hours ago, aab said:

In another place and time far, far away a friend at his 30th birthday party dragged his Magnaplaners out onto the back deck to entertain his family etc who were all hovering around the pool. A gust of wind soon put and end to one speaker. At the time none of us thought it was the wind responsible but it was. 

However, the same thing can happen indoors if you place a large fan fairly high up and close to the delicate beasts.

On 5/28/2017 at 8:35 AM, Karl Rand said:

In another place and time far, far away a friend at his 30th birthday party dragged his Magnaplaners out onto the back deck to entertain his family etc who were all hovering around the pool. A gust of wind soon put and end to one speaker. At the time none of us thought it was the wind responsible but it was. 

However, the same thing can happen indoors if you place a large fan fairly high up and close to the delicate beasts.

sounds like Maggies are even less "party proof" than ESL 57's - you don't even have the excuse of playing them too loud - the breeze broke them...

I'm sure they sound good but jeez - my old man made jokes about the wheels/tyres on my pushbike not handling cigarette papers on the road - the simile to Maggies seems appropriate.

Mike

On 29 May 2017 at 11:04 PM, almikel said:

sounds like Maggies are even less "party proof" than ESL 57's - you don't even have the excuse of playing them too loud - the breeze broke them...

I'm sure they sound good but jeez - my old man made jokes about the wheels/tyres on my pushbike not handling cigarette papers on the road - the simile to Maggies seems appropriate.

Mike

Magneplanar speakers are party tolerant. They can play reasonably loud, just make sure that the speakers are indoors away from the wind. 

On 5/31/2017 at 0:18 PM, aab said:

Magneplanar speakers are party tolerant. They can play reasonably loud, just make sure that the speakers are indoors away from the wind. 

I was joking in my post - but it seems Maggies actually can be damaged with a breeze????

I live in Brisbane - the only time all windows/doors aren't wide open is in the depths of winter (the Brisbane version of winter).

Most times my whole house is open to catch all breezes - and ceiling fans supplement as required.

Sounds like Maggies aren't "sub tropical" tolerant, let alone those that live closer to the equator.

Are Maggies really that delicate that a breeze can damage them?

If I had Maggies and I kept the windows open could they be damaged by a gust of wind?

Mike

When's@andyr jump onboard and defend them maggies? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Happy said:

When's@andyr jump onboard and defend them maggies? :D

Haha - well, it depends which Maggies - the big 3-ways with 'true ribbons' ... or the smaller ones, without.

Maggies which don't have true-ribbons are fairly robust, IMO.  However, I would never take my 3-way Maggies outside.  The true ribbon is supplied with a cover strip (which stops a through breeze) and I now keep this on all the time - except when listening.  I did have a ribbon blow last year, just after we had moved into a new house ... which has an exterior door about 1.2m away from that ribbon.  I don't know whether it was a breeze through that door which blew it - or it had got fatigued through playing for a few years ... and simply broke.

The other thing that is known to kill Maggie ribbons is when you are running in a passive setup, with an amp which clips because the bass panels are sucking a lot of current from the amp.  :D  The clipping produces a slew of HF hash which the ribbons don't like.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Geez them maggies more sensitive than my cats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I sneezed when installing the ribbons into my 20.7's and they survived.  Had me worried until I fired them up!

Edited by Bilbo

Hi there, would appreciate some guidance for a DEQX 4-way setup. I know that I could use a 2. DEQX beside my HDP-5, just dont want to spend that much.

My plan is:

Rythmik Audio 15" stereo sub up to 60Hz

Open baffle for the rest:

B&C 15NW76 crossed at 300Hz to

2x BG Neo10 crossed at 2500Hz to

Mundorf AMT 25D6.1-R

These are the options I see:

1) Take R1/L1 out of DEQX into a minidsp (analog), handle those sub and midbass more or less without DEQX

Not my favourite, another AD/DA process..., not too convinced about minidsp

2) handle the crossover between mid and tweeter analog. Never done that, but a 18DB xover should be quite straightfwd, no?

Any hints how to do that? Alternatives which are below 5k Euro? (you dont get use DEQX stuff here in Germany)

thanks

Wolfgang

p.s.: In January I will be in Sydney and Melbourne, perhaps someone wants to sell his DEQX

Wolfgang

i have an HDP 5 for my main speakers and a HDP Express for my two subs.  The cost of the HDP Express is around €2k.

the procedure to set this up is in the manual and it sounds great! 

Hdp express is above 3k euro here and has no balanced outputs (which I need)

When I last communicated with Alan he had several refurbished/second hand units that were quite cheap.

Rca-xlr adaptors may be an option

14 hours ago, Wk27 said:

Hi there, would appreciate some guidance for a DEQX 4-way setup. I know that I could use a 2. DEQX beside my HDP-5, just dont want to spend that much.

My plan is:

Mundorf AMT 25D6.1-R

1) Take R1/L1 out of DEQX into a minidsp (analog), handle those sub and midbass more or less without DEQX

Hello, I took did this option recently to good effect, see here:

I'll post some more in that thred in time about how I got on with the MiniDSP HD.

To sum it up, it went well!

Thanks Santanica, went through your thread.

What I am not sure about is: is it better to handle sub/midbass or mid/tweeter externally? It would be quite easy to build a passive crossover at around 2500HZ. Would Deqx not correct all the mess the passive crossover is producing? 

That way I could avoid DA/AD/DA via minidasp.

Sent a note to Alan, perhaps he can solve my issue with a used&cheap unit;-)

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Wk27 said:

Thanks Santanica, went through your thread.

What I am not sure about is: is it better to handle sub/midbass or mid/tweeter externally? It would be quite easy to build a passive crossover at around 2500HZ. Would Deqx not correct all the mess the passive crossover is producing? 

That way I could avoid DA/AD/DA via minidasp.

Sent a note to Alan, perhaps he can solve my issue with a used&cheap unit;-)

I'm no expert in this that's for sure.

Firstly, I'm under the impression that many or even most sub-woofer plate amps these days convert the analog signal to digital, even for just volume control.

Secondly, while the MiniDSP units do convert from analog to digital on the analog RCA inputs we are only talking about bass frequencies here feeding it R1 and L1.

R2, L2, R3 and L3 remain untouched.

I detect no loss of "bass resolution".

So once again I'm no expert but I would absolutely avoid a passive crossover of any sort if you can, and in this instance you can.

And thinking about it some more the newer MiniDSP 2x4 HD units actually accept digital Toslink input as well as analog.

From my memory some DEQX units can have digital outputs for outboard DAC's which effectively the MiniDSP 2x4 HD is.

My HDP-3 does not have any digital outputs, what about your HDP-5? If not perhaps it can be modified to do so?

If it sounds like I'm trying to convince you to get/use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD over a second DEQX unit I'm not.

But I couldn't really see the benefit in it, especially when I don't want another box the size of a DEQX and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD is about $300 AUD delivered including the software (which I found quite good by the way).

Edited by Satanica

On 8/29/2017 at 9:03 PM, Wk27 said:

My plan is:

Mundorf AMT 25D6.1-R

2) handle the crossover between mid and tweeter analog. Never done that, but a 18DB xover should be quite straightfwd, no?

Any hints how to do that? Alternatives which are below 5k Euro? (you dont get use DEQX stuff here in Germany)

thanks

Wolfgang

p.s.: In January I will be in Sydney and Melbourne, perhaps someone wants to sell his DEQX

I'll preface this with I'm not a big passive Xover fan - I've managed to avoid them for 25 years or so, as they're much harder to implement well compared with DSP, or given you have a DEQX to run over the top, analog active (eg a simple LR4 active crossover).

Amps are sufficiently cheap (especially say for a tweeter or mid range), that provided you don't add noise or an earth loop (admittedly sometimes difficult), my preference would be to remain active (analog or DSP).

That said, I did seriously consider using @Paul Spencer's passive Xover for my PSE's to simplify the setup and stay with a single DEQX...after all, the DEQX can do time-alignment and speaker correction over the top of a passive Xover (although it can't manage crossover point/phase changes due to a passive Xover as the driver voice coil changes impedance).

On 8/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, Wk27 said:

When I was planning my 4 way setup and considering exactly as you are - taking the low frequencies (R1/L1 analog) and splitting them via a mini-DSP or other solution, a wise person on SNA asked why I was splitting the low freq, not the high - I had a bit of a light bulb moment, as I already had an LR4 dbx active Xover in the cupboard to daisy chain onto R3/L3 (high freq DEQX analog outputs), and the DEQX could run speaker correction over the top as if the tweeter and mid was a single driver.

IMHO it's much better to manage mid/tweeter externally and I would recommend keeping DEQX control over the lower drivers, and using a DSP/analog active or passive for the top end Xover.

Keep in mind that filter delays get longer as you drop in frequency and implement steeper Xovers - daisy chaining a miniDSP on the output of the DEQX R1/L1 (low freq analog outputs) will just make it harder to time align your bottom end.

You can maintain the time alignment flexibility in a single interface (DEQX) where it's important - the bottom end - then use any Xover you're comfortable with for the top end (remember your DEQX can do FR and time corrections over the top anyway.

The best results will be achieved if you measure outdoors though - but far more achievable at 2500Hz than below 300Hz.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:03 PM, Wk27 said:

Any hints how to do that?

In this context, by analog I assume you mean passive?

No passive Xover is easy to implement, and the steeper the harder, so I would say an 18dB passive Xover would not be straightforward at all.

If you want to head down a passive Xover path here's a good link to learn what's involved:

http://sound.whsites.net/lr-passive.htm

Vastly easier to buy or build an active LR4 analog Xover, but with the added cost of another amp.

At least with an active LR4 (excluding physical time alignment of drivers) the outputs are in phase at all frequencies (edit - electrically only - acoustically it will depend on driver rolloffs - but if you can stay an octave away from a rolloff it will be close).

I used my old dbx LR4 Xover daisy chained to my DEQX HDP3 to split tweeter and mid quite successfully for ages until out of the blue Alan sent me an email saying he had a 2nd hand HDP3 with digital out available - it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

cheers

Mike  

Edited by almikel
clarification

Admin

Pretty big news and an awesome free upgrade for existing owners!

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-australias-deqx-embraces-roon

On 9/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, Marc said:

Pretty big news and an awesome free upgrade for existing owners!

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-australias-deqx-embraces-roon

Thanks for the update Marc,

What's particularly encouraging is the ongoing development of a great Australian product.

The after sales service I've had from DEQX is also the best of any company I've dealt with.

cheers

Mike

Admin

DEQX, an Australian brand with roots in digital audio dating back to 1979 and the Fairlight CMI, will demonstrate a new addition to the DEQX line-up at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, Colorado, next month.

View the full article

Interesting. So essentially using the same components as the Kyron Audio front end. And Dr Crawford makes some awesome speakers. Got me interested!