DEQX Owners Thread

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

To all the fine people here, can you let me know if/how a DEQX device can operate in a HT environment, but also be used for 2ch listening?

Yes, I use it as such.

Do you put just the Front L/R preout from AVR into the DEQX like a standard HT bypass? And then to power amps?

That's one way to do it. Warning, analog will be converted to digital and back again with this method.

And does the speaker correction / DSP apply to both stereo and multichannel?

It applies to whatever you feed it, so it might or might not.

In my setup (4.0 speakers) my main speakers are large with subwoofers helping so I have the LFE(.1) channel mixed into Left and Right.

So in my case regarding the Left, Right and LFE channels it does apply to both.

Edited by Satanica

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

In my setup (4.0 speakers) my main speakers are large with subwoofers helping so I have the LFE(.1) channel mixed into Left and Right.

So in my case regarding the Left, Right and LFE channels it does apply to both.

Ok, my setup components are the following:

Sources: Roon Server, DigiOne Rasp PI SPDIF into AVR, CD/SACD player, Blu-Ray

Speakers: Yamaha Soavo floorstanders, centre. Ceiling Jamo speakers (surround). Paradigm Sub12

Amps: 7.1 in the AVR, 2 monoblocks

I'm after a solution that will help with an odd-shaped room, allow easy HT for the family, but create excellent 2CH sound sourced mainly from Roon. I'm hoping a PreMate Plus would tick the boxes for this.

Be warned that DEQX introduces latency of its own. Exactly how much latency will depend on how you have set it up, but it may be as much as 80-100ms. When I had it set up in my system only performing sub correction duties with no delays, its inherent latency was about 40ms. 

If you use DSP correction in a HT system it may cause lip sync issues. In a HT setup you may need a separate control for video latency to avoid this. 

Ok, my setup components are the following:

Sources: Roon Server, DigiOne Rasp PI SPDIF into AVR, CD/SACD player, Blu-Ray

Speakers: Yamaha Soavo floorstanders, centre. Ceiling Jamo speakers (surround). Paradigm Sub12

Amps: 7.1 in the AVR, 2 monoblocks

I'm after a solution that will help with an odd-shaped room, allow easy HT for the family, but create excellent 2CH sound sourced mainly from Roon. I'm hoping a PreMate Plus would tick the boxes for this.

You could use a miniDSP, UMIK-1 and REW for bass integration.

You need to ask yourself this question and answer it: Can I accept a device that will convert my analog output to digital, process it and then convert it back to analog again?

1 hour ago, Keith_W said:

Be warned that DEQX introduces latency of its own. Exactly how much latency will depend on how you have set it up, but it may be as much as 80-100ms. When I had it set up in my system only performing sub correction duties with no delays, its inherent latency was about 40ms. 

If you use DSP correction in a HT system it may cause lip sync issues. In a HT setup you may need a separate control for video latency to avoid this. 

They're incredibly long filters you were using there.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, warweary said:

Interesting to see that Deqx are releasing some power amplifiers based upon the Hypex oem.

I could be wrong (I'll check), but didn't they debut just over a year ago at Rocky Mountain?

http://stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-deqx-to-premiere-new-amplifiers-at-rocky-mountain

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

I could be wrong (I'll check), but didn't they debut just over a year ago at Rocky Mountain?

http://stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-deqx-to-premiere-new-amplifiers-at-rocky-mountain

Correct Marc.   Available on their web site

https://www.deqx.com/products/amplifiers/

On 08/06/2018 at 5:53 PM, Satanica said:

You need to ask yourself this question and answer it: Can I accept a device that will convert my analog output to digital, process it and then convert it back to analog again?

That is indeed the million $ Qu, S!  :thumb:

It's what stayed me from going to digital XOs for a number of years!  :)  However, when adding a pair of subs meant that I needed to be able to delay my mains, I had no option but to replace my main speakers' 3-way analogue active XOs with a digital equivalent - which would allow the mains to be delayed.

With the 1st implementation (48kHz miniDSP processing), there was no obvious degradation from digitising the phono stage in the miniDSP, then using the miniDSP's D2A converter to feed the power amps.  But when I was able to move to the 2nd scenario which involved:

• a higher-spec A2D converter on the phono stage, feeding the digital input of my miniDSP, and
  • running the miniDSP @ 96kHz

... there was a significant improvement in SQ.  :thumb:

So my conclusion is ... running the miniDSP @ 48kHz must've degraded my vinyl replay, slightly.

So I look forward to when miniDSP will release a unit which runs @ 192kHz!  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

23 hours ago, andyr said:

So I look forward to when miniDSP will release a unit which runs @ 192kHz! 

careful what you wish for - the race to higher and higher sampling rates does not bring accuracy.

These papers are old but still valid

http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-sampling-theory.pdf

http://www.lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-white-paper-the_optimal_sample_rate_for_quality_audio.pdf

(edit) Lavry's opinion is that 96kHz sampling is more than sufficient - going higher introduces other issues. (end edit)

It would clearly be  a major OH&S risk for a TV panel to produce X-rays, but for some reason audiophiles want their gear able to produce audio signals quantums above what they can hear???

I had a chat with Alan from DEQX a while ago - during his road trip to Brisbane - and at that time, processing power for the bottom end was the challenge - the compute capability to implement linear phase filters to 0Hz with minimal propagation delay (inherent filter delay excluded).

We also discussed higher sampling rates (eg 192kHz and higher) - and the challenge that "marketing" has worked well to make consumers believe that a higher sampling rate is always "better". 

Products like DEQX and MiniDSP may go to 192kHz sampling not because it's the best engineering solution, but because marketing says they must - to the detriment of accuracy.

cheers

Mike

Edited by almikel

15 hours ago, warweary said:

Interesting to see that Deqx are releasing some power amplifiers based upon the Hypex oem.

I was an early customer for these....I have two A250x3 and two A250x2, feeding my diy 5 ways.

Previous amplifiers have been, Aussie Amps, Cyrus, Music Fidelity, and Bel Canto.

The DEQX Amps are the best I have had in my system.

IMHO, the DEQX Amps are good value for money and should be on a list of amplifiers to consider.

All the best.

Steven

Edited by Listener

DEQX has always listed pricing in $USD on their website, as that's where their main market is.

When it comes to purchasing time, I've found the local pricing provided by Alan is written with a sharp pencil.

I've always gone direct to DEQX rather than through a dealer (I'm not sure if there are any in Brisbane?).

The after sales service provided by DEQX is also excellent. I've had Alan at my place tuning my double DEQX setup during a quick trip through Brisbane.

cheers

Mike

23 hours ago, almikel said:

processing power for the bottom end was the challenge - the compute capability to implement linear phase filters to 0Hz with minimal propagation delay (inherent filter delay excluded)

DEQX hold some patents for implementing this (minimising delay needed for the linear phase filter at low frequencies)

23 hours ago, almikel said:

Products like DEQX and MiniDSP may go to 192kHz sampling not because it's the best engineering solution

IMVHO the best solution where possible is to not resample audio .... so supporting higher rates cam allow for that, when you have the 192khz (or whatever) content to throw at it.

Hi DEXQ owners,

Noobie question here - excuse my ignorance.  If I was to get a DEQX unit, which one would be best suited for my rig?  I have a pair of SGR CX3B (active bookshelves) and 2 SVS SB2000 subs.  I'm hoping to do away with my analogue preamp and use a DEQX unit as a preamp for my digital sources to simplify my setup and also do speaker and room correction?  Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, shogo33 said:

Hi DEXQ owners,

Noobie question here - excuse my ignorance.  If I was to get a DEQX unit, which one would be best suited for my rig?  I have a pair of SGR CX3B (active bookshelves) and 2 SVS SB2000 subs.  I'm hoping to do away with my analogue preamp and use a DEQX unit as a preamp for my digital sources to simplify my setup and also do speaker and room correction?  Thanks in advance

Probably not so simple to answer what is best. Have a look at the comparison:

https://www.deqx.com/products/

13 minutes ago, shogo33 said:

thanks.  What is the HD active option?  Would i need that?

It's for making speakers active. You have active speakers from SGR so you'd have to re-engineer your speakers to use it. Something I doubt anyone would want to do.

23 minutes ago, Satanica said:

It's for making speakers active. You have active speakers from SGR so you'd have to re-engineer your speakers to use it. Something I doubt anyone would want to do.

Cool.. I take it the answer is 'No' i dont need that :)  cheers

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Certain models could help him integrate the subs? I know the HDP4 works fantastic as a pre and also a dac.