DEQX Owners Thread

Hi Almikel

My setup is already a 4 way active so 2x Deqxs are required :( ($kaching)

But I also have a pair of 18" subs as part of the .1 out from the HT Reciever.

So I was hoping I could not only run my mains as a 4 way but also eq my subs when they are on.

Not sure whether 2 units will do it or not?

Nah you don't sound like a Fanboi at all :P

Plural=Deqxi

Hi Joe, you already have active crossovers as part of the setup if I'm not mistaken. You could use a single DEQX to correct the time domain response of those and integrate your subs. HTH

• Like 2

correct, you want the mike far enough away to get good blending between drivers. Deqx still recommends on axis with the tweeter, but consider 1m the absolute minimum, with more preferred - 2m is a good compromise with the speaker only just off the ground. (you'll be able to see the groundbounce reflection in the impulse response - if you have some fluffy batts lying around you can put them at the first reflection).

The further away from any boundaries, the longer the window can be, and the more accurate the measurement gets down low.

If you can get accuracy down to 200Hz (not easy) then you're below the transition zone of your room and you can do everything below that as room measurements at the listening position

I realise this is all too late as the Zingalis are safely back inside now, but now you've got the idea you'll find running some more measurements later will be quicker.

Just for laughs - this is the measurement rig you should aspire to (me too) - with Alan tweaking the DEQX.

@@Listener I hope you don't mind me using your photo.

attachicon.gifsteven measurement rig.jpg

cheers

Mike

Mike.

Not at all.

I'm surprised we didn't get some reflections off of Alan!!!!

Steven.

• Like 1

Hi there,

firts post, great forum for DEQX users, 

I have an HDP-5 since last year, driving my DIY amps (4x AMS1000-2600)

To me it seems like the amps would need some more juice to give full power.

The older PDCs used to have jumpers for setting the output voltage.

Anybody know if HDP-4 and HDP-5 have jumpers?

Had the device opened but didnt find any, dont want to bother Alan.

many thanks, and greatings to the sunshine from cold Germany!

Wolfgang

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Jiri, 

you were right, Alan has sent me the technical paper which descibed the jumpers.

Is there any secret source for this and other undocumented things around DEQX?

Cant really find anything on their website...

ciao

Wolfgang

Difficult to describe without using other words that may be unfamiliar and raising more questions, but anyway in this case a jumper is typically some metal pins sticking out of a circuit board and you can plug something into them to complete the electrical connection across the pins. By completing the electrical connection you are "jumpering" (might not be a real word) across the pins. Depending on which pins you jumper, you can select different settings. The same thing could be done with switches, but I think this is more for things that you don't need to change often.

The image shown is not from a deqx - just an example of some jumpers.

post-133185-0-30131800-1459239245_thumb.

• Like 1

Sorry but apart from warm apparel, what's a jumper?

Its a hardware thingo that sets a signal path on the board for it to change (in the case of the DEQX) the maximum output voltage on one or all of the analogue outputs.

For example you may have a poweramp with an input sensitivity much more or less than the input sensitivity of the subs in which case you might want different max output voltages on LR1 (subs) and LR2 (mains).

In the olden days a jumper was used to tell the difference between the master and the slave IDE hard drive on the same bus in a PC.  Also SCSI devices had jumpers to identify each one's SCSI id number.

Its a small item that fits over a pair of pins to complete a circuit.  In the case of the DEQX there is a set of 4 or maybe 5 pairs of pins to enable the selection of max output voltage for each of the outputs.

Most people don't need to change them from the factory settings.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, I have done this with a Benchmark Dac. I cant remember why. Thanks for the clarification guys, very helpful.

Interesting, maybe I could 'jumper' mine for some more grunt?

Which could send me deaf. :P

Edited by Darren69

Hi Darren, your unit will have the jumpers and you could change them, but there's no theoretical reason why it would make a difference, unless you feel that you currently don't have enough volume, or conversely have too much volume (max on the input slider is way too much.)

• Like 1

too much volume

What is this 'too much volume' you speak of? :D

Thanks Johnno. All good as is, though if I am doing a mega-dusting session or something and the unit is out, I might have a look for curiosity-sake.

Interesting to know, thanks all.

Sorry for late entry to this thread. Thinking about using one of the units in a system with existing passive speakers - 2 medium floorstanders in a small room. Would be using digital input only. 

I like the idea of speaker correction and room correction. My question is: how good is the unit without the correction, that is how good are the DEQX units as preamps and DACs? Is the DAC itself truly high-end? Or am I short changing my self in the DAC department if I buy one of these instead of a very good DAC? 

Till now I was thinking of standalone DACs that cost a3-4 thousand  or even more - will the DEQX as a DAC be as good as something like that?

• Like 1

Here's a more subjective interpretation:

"As an aside, the DEQX PreMate + is a stellar product that exceeds the earlier version. Great as a preamp, DAC, and speaker/room correction all-in-one... is stunningly good. Could not live without it here as mated with the Reimers."

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/audio-ramblings-the-daedalus-audio-did-ifi-usb-and-dc-ipurifiers-and-modified-rega-arm-from-audiomods/

• Volunteer

Sorry for late entry to this thread. Thinking about using one of the units in a system with existing passive speakers - 2 medium floorstanders in a small room. Would be using digital input only.

I like the idea of speaker correction and room correction. My question is: how good is the unit without the correction, that is how good are the DEQX units as preamps and DACs? Is the DAC itself truly high-end? Or am I short changing my self in the DAC department if I buy one of these instead of a very good DAC?

Till now I was thinking of standalone DACs that cost a3-4 thousand or even more - will the DEQX as a DAC be as good as something like that?

I reckon at that price DACs are a matter of preference rather than good or bad. Having said that, I thought the DEQX DAC was as good as my Invicta DAC - no problems there.

• Like 1

@@firedog yes, what Trev says above.

To truly know the answer to your question you would need to try out DACS against the DEQX (using your equipment in your own room) but I'll put it this way, if you tried a few in your room vs the DEQX and got back to us in a few years and said you were more than happy to use the DEQX DAC, it would not surprise anyone. It is a very nice DAC and as a pre, the unit is excellent.

In my system my DEQX is the pre amp (I have the HDP4) but I use the Perfectwave 2 dac, partnered with the PW CDT. This DAC seems to agree slightly more with my setup and room better than the DEQX DAC but again, all a matter of taste (not to mention another $2k).

DEQX have plenty of input/output option so it's a no brainer for me to use it as the pre amp system hub.

Till now I was thinking of standalone DACs that cost a3-4 thousand  or even more - will the DEQX as a DAC be as good as something like that?

A review written by a Steroenet member. No hype and very accurate. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/deqx/2.html

I'm using as Dac/Pre into passive floor standers no room correction at the moment as waiting for house to be finished. 

Very pleased I purchased, it's not about room correction but it's is something you can play with. 

Every room/speaker will give different outcomes.

Kinda need to know the same.

Have always been intrigued by it but didn't know what or whom to ask.

Ditto @@Sir Sanders Zingmore

Ditto @@Darren69

Why do I have an alternative DAC?  Just because like you guys I was curious and always interested in what another DAC could do.  

Do I hear a difference?  Maybe.  

Is it worth the extra $9K?  No.  

Does the DEQX bring a valuable improvement to any room and speakers?  Yes.  

Is that improvement greater than any perceived or imagined short-comings elsewhere?  Yes-sir-ee.

My system is configured like Darren's.  All sources input to the DEQX as a pre-amp.  Analog out to subs.  Digital out to a largely unnecessary external DAC.  DAC feeds power amps and then passive main speakers.

Remember that the DEQX isn't plug and play and that unless you are experienced in similar devices/concepts, it pays to get Deqxpert (Alan) to do the initial set-up for you, remotely.  That may be all you ever want or need.  Then again, if you like twiddling virtual knobs ......

• Like 1

Ditto @@Sir Sanders Zingmore

Ditto @@Darren69

Why do I have an alternative DAC?  Just because like you guys I was curious and always interested in what another DAC could do.  

Do I hear a difference?  Maybe.  

Is it worth the extra $9K?  No.  

Does the DEQX bring a valuable improvement to any room and speakers?  Yes.  

Is that improvement greater than any perceived or imagined short-comings elsewhere?  Yes-sir-ee.

My system is configured like Darren's.  All sources input to the DEQX as a pre-amp.  Analog out to subs.  Digital out to a largely unnecessary external DAC.  DAC feeds power amps and then passive main speakers.

Remember that the DEQX isn't plug and play and that unless you are experienced in similar devices/concepts, it pays to get Deqxpert (Alan) to do the initial set-up for you, remotely.  That may be all you ever want or need.  Then again, if you like twiddling virtual knobs ......

How do we get in touch with Allan ?

Ring DEQX in Sydney.  Alan will most likely be the person answering the phone.

or

The DEQX web site has an "ask us" feature.

There is a page on "DEQXpert" http://www.deqx.com/deqxpert.php

[edit: for some reason this computer isn't being notified of a new post?? Sorry loki65.]

Edited by aechmea