DEQX Owners Thread

HI Frank

1.  The tape monitor circuit is analogue and your subs are powered, therefore I would suggest the following way - depends on the capabilities of the subs and pre with regard to how you low-pass/hi-pass the subs at the moment and whether your subs have low level inputs.  In which case there are other alternatives.

• Don't forget to turn everything off when doing this.
  • Don't forget to turn all volumes down to ziltch.
  • Have all your inputs connected to your pre-amp as normal.
  • 'Tape out' on the pre goes to the 'analogue-in' of the DEQX.
  • Configure the DEQX as 'single amp plus subs'.
  • There are 3 analogue output sets on the DEQX.  Output '1' carries the lows and goes to the subs 'low level input (RCA connectors).  'Output '2' carries the rest and goes back to the 'tape monitor input' on the pre amp.  'Output '3' is not used.
  • For daisy-chained mono subs I'm not sure whether you have to use L1 or R1.  Maybe it doesn't matter.
  • Preamp is still connected to power amp as normal.
  • Speaker cable goes from power amp to speakers; NOT to subs.

Rough picture attached.

Uncertain as to who/how does the hi-lo-pass from subs to main speakers at the moment so we need to get the connections right before proceeding.  For example if you only have speaker level input on the subs then we would need to rethink the situation.  Or if you daisychain or parallel main speakers and subs with full range signal using speaker cable things may have to be different...

2.  'Single amp and subs' may be right - depends on the connection setup.

post-106140-0-40500200-1401142443_thumb.

Just thinking about this again.  I suspect that by wanting to put the DEQX on a tape monitor circuit that you occasionally want it 'out'.

If you wanted to have the DEQX completely out of the circuit by flicking the tape monitor switch, but still keeping the subs in, then you would need to do something different from what I suggested above.  Different configuration, different cabling, different concept.  But in doing so you lose the capability to manage the Xover between subs and mains using the DEQX.  Its all swings and roundabouts and options options options.

This may get you what you envisage; but with reduced DEQX functionality.  Allows Deqx to be switched out completely.  Lo-pass would have to be done in the subs.  Main speakers would run full range.

post-106140-0-91766500-1401146072_thumb.

This is similar but with different cable types to subs

post-106140-0-84596600-1401147373_thumb.

This is probably the traditional way that you would probably want to end up with, with the most functionality, ie. where each sub and the main speakers can be controlled independently.  Though you cannot do an A/B switch to compare Deqx with a No-Deqx pure analogue path.

post-106140-0-86667400-1401147462_thumb.

Hi Aechmea,

I'll look over the suggestions and think about what I'm trying to achieve and probably get back here in a couple of days

Yeah, hi Frank; that's best.  The cabling, and DEQX configurations depend on your desired outcome.  Cheers.

Uh ha, as I currently have the subs on loan from very generous SNArs (@ "Tony_M" and @ "jel" ) I am going to try two experiments; both not worrying about the tape monitor idea

Simplest -,as per your last diagram, run the mains through the DEQX (L2 , R2) to the Power amp. Each sub through L1, R1 direct to subs - line level in

This configuration will be single stereo amp + stereo subs wouldn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator

I'm curious how many DEQX users use it exclusively as their "pre", or run an additional pre-amp in their system?

I use mine exclusively as the heart and soul of my system. Typically with digital input (USB) directly. I love the idea of using multiple external dac's, but that could get costly! :)

• Like 1

@ "metal beat" I'm getting confused, if I use the tape loop option which of @ "aechmea" diagrams will allow me to control the Xover between subs and main speakers or is there yet another combination?

I'm curious how many DEQX users use it exclusively as their "pre", or run an additional pre-amp in their system?

In my system I have analog volume disabled and digital volume at 100%. Whatever program I run from my HTPC becomes the preamp (JRiver MC, Windows MC, Arcsoft TMT, XBMC etc). Definitely not the norm!

Uh ha, as I currently have the subs on loan from very generous SNArs (@ "Tony_M" and @ "jel" ) I am going to try two experiments; both not worrying about the tape monitor idea

Simplest -,as per your last diagram, run the mains through the DEQX (L2 , R2) to the Power amp. Each sub through L1, R1 direct to subs - line level in

This configuration will be single stereo amp + stereo subs wouldn't it?

Correct.

"Single (stereo) amp with stereo subs"

That's what I use too.

Edited by aechmea

I use mine exclusively as the heart and soul of my system. Typically with digital input (USB) directly. I love the idea of using multiple external dac's, but that could get costly! :)

Mine is the only pre and the heart and soul too - nice way of putting it Marc.  Multiple digital inputs funnelled into the DEQX and then out to power amps and powered subs.  The DEQX does everything.

• Like 1

Ohhh....

Had to be part of this.

I've had the HDP 3.0 then the HDP 4.0 and now the HDP 4.0 + USB.

Having started several threads here and elsewhere extolling the virtues of DEQX I am not going to preach to the converted here. 

Like Marc, the DEQX is the heart and soul of my system.

I use it conventionally, as a Pre-Amp/DAC/ Speaker Correction/Crossover....thingy.

My only real complaint is the volume control....my system is not in the listening room and lack of volume level feedback is a pain for someone like me who like things to be - just so.

I suppose I could use JRiver as the volume control with the DEQX on 100%, but I am not sure if that is the way to best quality. I've not done any serious A/B'ing either so I guess I just do not know.

The DEQX takes the feed from my Dual PC setup via USB to play Music.

For TV and Video the HTPC feeds the DEQX via Toslink so there is galvanic isolation between the dirty and the clean.

Steven.

• Like 1

I suppose I could use JRiver as the volume control with the DEQX on 100%, but I am not sure if that is the way to best quality. I've not done any serious A/B'ing either so I guess I just do not know.

I reckon you should subjectively compare against JRiver and post your thoughts here, or you could just tell me to bugger off.

Guest JohnA

Does a Deqx illuminate the need for room treatment?

not sure if it illuminates anything, but does it eliminate the need

i would say NO

Not at all, according to DEQX themselves the best way to apply correction is too smooth-off(truncate) the peaks.  You don't touch the troughs in the spectrum.  So it will always be best to get the room response as good as possible before applying DSP.  Think of DSP as the cream on top of the icing of room conditioning  

I am going to join in here as a prosepctive DEQX owner. :)

I am planning for it to be the pre..or heart and soul, as Marc describes it.

As you may also know, I am currently fumbling my way through room treatment and the DEQX (will get the Premate, methinks) will be the 'icing on the cake' as Al  and Frank put it. It might compensate for me putting panels in the wrong places, haha!

My quick research makes me think the Premate will be sufficient for me (CDP/DVD etc-DEQX-power). I think I will utilise the DEQX's DAC, using the digital-out of the CDP.

Before all that happens, I first need to check that my current power amp is OK to continue with, but thats another thread.....

Edited by Darren69

I reckon you should subjectively compare against JRiver and post your thoughts here, or you could just tell me to bugger off.

No mate....no buggering off from me!

Yes I should get my lazy a$$ into gear and A/B that, but I keep doing things to the system and then end up listening for hours as it sounds so good.

I really should be cutting the grass but....

Steven.

• Like 1

Does a Deqx illuminate the need for room treatment?

Illuminate or eliminate?

Either way, I'd say no.

Subjectively, I have found it affects two things that you can also alter with room treatment:

1. Bass tightness and control

2. Imaging and the sound stage

Ideally, you would both treat the room and use DEQX. The risk with a tool like DEQX is that one might be happy enough with the improvement from DEQX and not realise how much more can be achieved with treatment.

• Like 5

Guest yamaha_man

Illuminate or eliminate?

Either way, I'd say no.

Subjectively, I have found it affects two things that you can also alter with room treatment:

1. Bass tightness and control

2. Imaging and the sound stage

Ideally, you would both treat the room and use DEQX. The risk with a tool like DEQX is that one might be happy enough with the improvement from DEQX and not realise how much more can be achieved with treatment.

Silly me, should have studied at school so I could afford some decent gear.

Eliminate is the word I was looking for, illuminate is a word for @@joz

I'll also add that DEQX does those two things in addition to the benefits of DSP active crossovers like MiniDSP.

Silly me, should have studied at school so I could afford some decent gear.
Eliminate is the word I was looking for, illuminate is a word for @@joz

It's a fair question either way, Sir Frequent Alias change. Does it Illuminate the need for room treatment? Does it make you aware that you still haven't fixed room issues? Acoustic treatment and DEQX are in fact very good tools with some overlap in what they achieve, but neither puts the other out of the running. They work together very very well.

• Like 5

Guest yamaha_man

That's all I need to know.

I was under the false belief that it's room correction tech would eliminate the need for treatment.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I'll also add that DEQX does those two things in addition to the benefits of DSP active crossovers like MiniDSP.

True if you use their IIR only base model 2x4's, 2x8's etc. Their SHARC based stuff runs FIR, is reasonably powerful and is almost at the stage of being stable :)