• Administrators

Seeing as though we have a few "appreciation" threads on StereoNET, and the DEQX being a highly technical product prompting many questions from owners, thought it was time to have a dedicated thread for discussion.

I recently acquired a HDP4. No issues at all getting it up and running, and have been using it for speaker and room measurements as well as active DIY setups.

Ultimately it was purchased for a 3 way active DIY I am preparing to build, but I have a view to adding a 2nd unit down the track so I can integrate subs as well.

Let us know which product you have, what you are using it for, and any questions you may have here.

No questions from me, just yet ...

• Like 2
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies - it's been way to long since I did a calibration/config...but I'm pretty sure it's during the "config" process that there's a button to "read EQ" from the unit...and you'll see the EQ setti

All I really want to say is that the HDP-5 is now doing more to make my ears happy than a preamp/preprocessor that costs twice as much ever did. It took me half a day to setup and reconnect everything

What is it like without a DEQX.   Yesterday my Thor PS10 decided to go phttt.  I used it for the front end low powered devices (not power amp or subs).  It triggered its own circuit breaker,

I have an HDP4.

Originally I had an HDP3 which I used to bi-amp Magneplannar 3.6R speakers and to integrate 2 subs and doing room correction of course.

My current speakers can't be bi-amped without major destructive surgery so the HDP4 does speaker correction with no multi-amping and well as the 2 subs and room.

I only use digital inputs.

The room is quite heavily damped and I spent a long time finding a good position for the subs.  Therefore room EQ is minimal-ish.

• Like 2

I've still got HDP3-300 which is a version 3 based model that has 4 Hypex amplifiers built into it for tweeters and mid-range drivers.

Running active as part of the Legend Big Red package with some SVS sub woofers also placed in.

I assume you want two units to run subs an as part of 4 way system.

Of course you can run subs/bass modules with one DEQX unit as part of a 3 way system.

I only run a single digital input via co-axial from a HTPC.

Edited by Satanica

I have an HDP3 which I was experimenting with at the weekend. I have two questions right now

1) if I want to use the unit in a 'switch-in -switch-out mode via tape monitor or similar how do I wire it up with the pre-amp?

2) what speaker profile should I use with two main speakers and two active subwoofers. The subs are in a daisy chain arrangement. I started with single amp and speakers - is that correct as I seem to be having problems with adding the mains and the subs together when trying to set correction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by frankn

HI Frank

1.  The tape monitor circuit is analogue and your subs are powered, therefore I would suggest the following way - depends on the capabilities of the subs and pre with regard to how you low-pass/hi-pass the subs at the moment and whether your subs have low level inputs.  In which case there are other alternatives.

• Don't forget to turn everything off when doing this.
  • Don't forget to turn all volumes down to ziltch.
  • Have all your inputs connected to your pre-amp as normal.
  • 'Tape out' on the pre goes to the 'analogue-in' of the DEQX.
  • Configure the DEQX as 'single amp plus subs'.
  • There are 3 analogue output sets on the DEQX.  Output '1' carries the lows and goes to the subs 'low level input (RCA connectors).  'Output '2' carries the rest and goes back to the 'tape monitor input' on the pre amp.  'Output '3' is not used.
  • For daisy-chained mono subs I'm not sure whether you have to use L1 or R1.  Maybe it doesn't matter.
  • Preamp is still connected to power amp as normal.
  • Speaker cable goes from power amp to speakers; NOT to subs.

Rough picture attached.

Uncertain as to who/how does the hi-lo-pass from subs to main speakers at the moment so we need to get the connections right before proceeding.  For example if you only have speaker level input on the subs then we would need to rethink the situation.  Or if you daisychain or parallel main speakers and subs with full range signal using speaker cable things may have to be different...

2.  'Single amp and subs' may be right - depends on the connection setup.

post-106140-0-40500200-1401142443_thumb.

Just thinking about this again.  I suspect that by wanting to put the DEQX on a tape monitor circuit that you occasionally want it 'out'.

If you wanted to have the DEQX completely out of the circuit by flicking the tape monitor switch, but still keeping the subs in, then you would need to do something different from what I suggested above.  Different configuration, different cabling, different concept.  But in doing so you lose the capability to manage the Xover between subs and mains using the DEQX.  Its all swings and roundabouts and options options options.

This may get you what you envisage; but with reduced DEQX functionality.  Allows Deqx to be switched out completely.  Lo-pass would have to be done in the subs.  Main speakers would run full range.

post-106140-0-91766500-1401146072_thumb.

This is similar but with different cable types to subs

post-106140-0-84596600-1401147373_thumb.

This is probably the traditional way that you would probably want to end up with, with the most functionality, ie. where each sub and the main speakers can be controlled independently.  Though you cannot do an A/B switch to compare Deqx with a No-Deqx pure analogue path.

post-106140-0-86667400-1401147462_thumb.

Hi Aechmea,

I'll look over the suggestions and think about what I'm trying to achieve and probably get back here in a couple of days

Hi Aechmea,

I'll look over the suggestions and think about what I'm trying to achieve and probably get back here in a couple of days

Yeah, hi Frank; that's best.  The cabling, and DEQX configurations depend on your desired outcome.  Cheers.

Uh ha, as I currently have the subs on loan from very generous SNArs (@ "Tony_M" and @ "jel" ) I am going to try two experiments; both not worrying about the tape monitor idea

Simplest -,as per your last diagram, run the mains through the DEQX (L2 , R2) to the Power amp. Each sub through L1, R1 direct to subs - line level in

This configuration will be single stereo amp + stereo subs wouldn't it?

If you are using your own preamp, using the tape monitor gives you the best sonic result and is what Deqx recommend.  

No bit stripping.

Edited by metal beat
  • Administrators

I'm curious how many DEQX users use it exclusively as their "pre", or run an additional pre-amp in their system?

I use mine exclusively as the heart and soul of my system. Typically with digital input (USB) directly. I love the idea of using multiple external dac's, but that could get costly! :)

• Like 1

I use separate pre amps and the HDP4 in the tape loop of either.   That is sonically the best result in my all analog input system.

Cheers

Edited by metal beat

@ "metal beat" I'm getting confused, if I use the tape loop option which of @ "aechmea" diagrams will allow me to control the Xover between subs and main speakers or is there yet another combination?

I'm curious how many DEQX users use it exclusively as their "pre", or run an additional pre-amp in their system?

In my system I have analog volume disabled and digital volume at 100%. Whatever program I run from my HTPC becomes the preamp (JRiver MC, Windows MC, Arcsoft TMT, XBMC etc). Definitely not the norm!

Uh ha, as I currently have the subs on loan from very generous SNArs (@ "Tony_M" and @ "jel" ) I am going to try two experiments; both not worrying about the tape monitor idea

Simplest -,as per your last diagram, run the mains through the DEQX (L2 , R2) to the Power amp. Each sub through L1, R1 direct to subs - line level in

This configuration will be single stereo amp + stereo subs wouldn't it?

Correct.

"Single (stereo) amp with stereo subs"

That's what I use too.

Edited by aechmea

I use mine exclusively as the heart and soul of my system. Typically with digital input (USB) directly. I love the idea of using multiple external dac's, but that could get costly! :)

Mine is the only pre and the heart and soul too - nice way of putting it Marc.  Multiple digital inputs funnelled into the DEQX and then out to power amps and powered subs.  The DEQX does everything.

• Like 1

Ohhh....

Had to be part of this.

I've had the HDP 3.0 then the HDP 4.0 and now the HDP 4.0 + USB.

Having started several threads here and elsewhere extolling the virtues of DEQX I am not going to preach to the converted here. 

Like Marc, the DEQX is the heart and soul of my system.

I use it conventionally, as a Pre-Amp/DAC/ Speaker Correction/Crossover....thingy.

My only real complaint is the volume control....my system is not in the listening room and lack of volume level feedback is a pain for someone like me who like things to be - just so.

I suppose I could use JRiver as the volume control with the DEQX on 100%, but I am not sure if that is the way to best quality. I've not done any serious A/B'ing either so I guess I just do not know.

The DEQX takes the feed from my Dual PC setup via USB to play Music.

For TV and Video the HTPC feeds the DEQX via Toslink so there is galvanic isolation between the dirty and the clean.

Steven.

• Like 1
I suppose I could use JRiver as the volume control with the DEQX on 100%, but I am not sure if that is the way to best quality. I've not done any serious A/B'ing either so I guess I just do not know.

I reckon you should subjectively compare against JRiver and post your thoughts here, or you could just tell me to bugger off.

Guest JohnA

Does a Deqx illuminate the need for room treatment?

not sure if it illuminates anything, but does it eliminate the need

i would say NO

Not at all, according to DEQX themselves the best way to apply correction is too smooth-off(truncate) the peaks.  You don't touch the troughs in the spectrum.  So it will always be best to get the room response as good as possible before applying DSP.  Think of DSP as the cream on top of the icing of room conditioning  

I am going to join in here as a prosepctive DEQX owner. :)

I am planning for it to be the pre..or heart and soul, as Marc describes it.

As you may also know, I am currently fumbling my way through room treatment and the DEQX (will get the Premate, methinks) will be the 'icing on the cake' as Al  and Frank put it. It might compensate for me putting panels in the wrong places, haha!

My quick research makes me think the Premate will be sufficient for me (CDP/DVD etc-DEQX-power). I think I will utilise the DEQX's DAC, using the digital-out of the CDP.

Before all that happens, I first need to check that my current power amp is OK to continue with, but thats another thread.....

Edited by Darren69

I reckon you should subjectively compare against JRiver and post your thoughts here, or you could just tell me to bugger off.

No mate....no buggering off from me!

Yes I should get my lazy a$$ into gear and A/B that, but I keep doing things to the system and then end up listening for hours as it sounds so good.

I really should be cutting the grass but....

Steven.

• Like 1

Does a Deqx illuminate the need for room treatment?

Illuminate or eliminate?

Either way, I'd say no.

Subjectively, I have found it affects two things that you can also alter with room treatment:

1. Bass tightness and control

2. Imaging and the sound stage

Ideally, you would both treat the room and use DEQX. The risk with a tool like DEQX is that one might be happy enough with the improvement from DEQX and not realise how much more can be achieved with treatment.

• Like 5
Guest yamaha_man

Illuminate or eliminate?

Either way, I'd say no.

Subjectively, I have found it affects two things that you can also alter with room treatment:

1. Bass tightness and control

2. Imaging and the sound stage

Ideally, you would both treat the room and use DEQX. The risk with a tool like DEQX is that one might be happy enough with the improvement from DEQX and not realise how much more can be achieved with treatment.

Silly me, should have studied at school so I could afford some decent gear.

Eliminate is the word I was looking for, illuminate is a word for @@joz

I'll also add that DEQX does those two things in addition to the benefits of DSP active crossovers like MiniDSP.

Silly me, should have studied at school so I could afford some decent gear.
Eliminate is the word I was looking for, illuminate is a word for @@joz

It's a fair question either way, Sir Frequent Alias change. Does it Illuminate the need for room treatment? Does it make you aware that you still haven't fixed room issues? Acoustic treatment and DEQX are in fact very good tools with some overlap in what they achieve, but neither puts the other out of the running. They work together very very well.

• Like 5
Guest yamaha_man

That's all I need to know.

I was under the false belief that it's room correction tech would eliminate the need for treatment.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I'll also add that DEQX does those two things in addition to the benefits of DSP active crossovers like MiniDSP.

True if you use their IIR only base model 2x4's, 2x8's etc. Their SHARC based stuff runs FIR, is reasonably powerful and is almost at the stage of being stable :)

True if you use their IIR only base model 2x4's, 2x8's etc. Their SHARC based stuff runs FIR, is reasonably powerful and is almost at the stage of being stable :)

Indeed, it's impressive what they are offering.

That's all I need to know.

I was under the false belief that it's room correction tech would eliminate the need for treatment.

Thanks for clearing it up.

A few examples might help.

Firstly with bass. You can use bass traps and they will give you a global improvement in bass tightness. When you seriously trap a room, the improvement is obvious in measurement and subjectively also. Most people use traps too small or too few to get that improvement, but it can be dramatic. Even done seriously, you will still get peaks and dips remaining because it's simply not practical to use enough bass traps to tame them all. So the traps help improve the bass globally (every seat) but they still don't get the entire job done. Along comes EQ - now we can tame the worst peaks - we can do it really well for one seat, pretty well for a row of seats, definitely not for a home cinema room with multiple rows.

Along comes DEQX with some very powerful processing that can correct group delay below 200 Hz. The result of this, even without any EQ being used, is tighter bass. One DEQX owner set up a blind test demo of this and it was obvious to all. The group delay correction sounded like a loudness control being turned on and off, even though the frequency response was closely matched.

So with bass traps vs DSP you get different kinds of improvement. If you want the best possible result, use both.

Above 200 Hz things change. Now this is where DEQX when used well, will correct issues related to the speaker without the room. In other words, you don't want to stick the mic in the listening position and EQ everything flat. Subjectively DEQX can also dramatically improve the sound stage, making it much bigger and more three dimensional without giving up any image tightness. However, most rooms also could benefit from a mix of diffusion and absorption, especially if your room is adding a detrimental colour to the music. Treatment can even improve a room when music isn't playing ie talking in the room can sound nicer, especially with diffusers.

Again there is some overlap because DEQX and treatment can have a huge impact on the sound stage and imaging and the sense of the music being closer to the original, more natural. At the same time, they don't do the same job. You always want to fix a problem close to its source where you can. If the room is adding problems with reflections and reverberation in the midrange, this is where you really need treatment and DSP doesn't really help. If the problems are more related to the speaker itself, then a tool like DEQX is a better solution. Again, most systems will benefit ideally from both.

• Like 4

Group delay is the time delay with respect to frequency. It usually comes up in the context of things like sealed vs ported subs or various crossover filters.

I was wondering that myself SSZ, thanks Paul.

I like thisn thread because it sounds (pardon the pun) like I am doing the right thing, with the room treatment then the DEQX (pending power amp change). I assume I would need to fit and tune the DEQX as a final move and changing the power amp after tuning the DEQX could throw some measurements out with the amps new characteristics, if any.

@ "Darren69" i doubt that changing a power amp would totally change the speaker profile that would necessitate re calibrating the room correction, however it is reasonably simple to check since all you need to do is re-measure the Speaker response and compare the new profile to the old one - no or minimal change would tell you no-need to re-calibrate

Also, DEQX will set-up your system remotely for you if requested. You & DEQX share your laptop via internet with the DEQX box and microphone connected to your system. You move the microphone according to their instructions, they do the measurements and then show you how to build the filters, calibrate and construct corrections etc. Then off you go. Apparently takes about an hour. You can then of course go for more detail, experiment etc while keeping the original measurements and profiles intact

• Like 2

I am paying for a man to physically come and do it, I got that quoted, haha!!

I am not confident enough for that electronic stuff and am also paying for peace of mind. I have a noisy mind. The f^&ker.

Thanks for your thoughts Frankie, it makes sense and I am assuming what you say will be true once I get familiarised with the product.

You are lucky man, are you in Vic? SA has no DEQX ppl. The manual is all over the place.

• Like 1

No, NE NSW. Am simply happy to fork out the extra $$ to get a competent person to come with the Premate. ;)

• Like 1

I use my Deqx as the heart of my setup.

About to go 4 way and can't justify the cost of daisy chaining 2 Deqx together so I'll use my old 3 way Linwitz Riley 24db on the high output of the Deqx

What have others been using slope wise on their filters?

I've been using 96db linear, but I'll experiment with lower slopes & linkwitz Riley alignments for my new speakers.

I think 48db is a good balance between steep without too much ringing,

Mike