WTB: Pioneer KRP-500M Plasma Monitor

this some might find interesting,

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm

"But there remained a surprise in the box (which was mentioned earlier). You see, in it sat a Pioneer KRP-500A that was kindly loaned by one of our regular forum members, and had been calibrated by THX-certified calibrator Julian Scott (who also worked his magic on all the televisions on display). For those who don’t know, the KRP is widely regarded as the best in breed of the Kuro lineage, promising even lower minimum luminance level (MLL) than the LX series. It’s the Ferrari 250 GTO, the Lionel Messi, the Jessica Alba-equivalent in the Kuro world.

There’s only one problem – the KRP-500A did not come with a table-top stand or wall bracket. Without any way to support the screen securely, the organisers even flirted with the thought of keeping the TV in its box, never to be unleashed for the day. Fortunately, they eventually decided to take advantage of a spare moment (when the crowd’s attention was fully focused on a live demonstration of basic calibration conducted by Julian and our chief reviewer David Mackenzie) to prop the plasma screen on some chairs.

richer-krp.jpg

And it was truly worth it. The Kuro KRP exhibited a deeper shade of black than any of the TVs on show: for once, the black bezel (shown up by a tiny amount of stray light) was actually more visible to my eye than the letterbox bars. This is without doubt the deepest blacks I’ve seen from a calibrated flat-panel television to date – the unrivalled amount of dynamic range and pop made me wish I could revisit all the movies I’ve already watched on the KRP-500A again, even though the Panasonic ZT, VT and Samsung F8500 had a slight edge when it came to colour saturation (afforded by better calibration controls) and motion resolution.

I was so astounded by the KRP’s black-level performance, that I immediately asked the owner where he bought his set, and whether it was specially tweaked with voltage or firmware adjustments. The answer to the first question was Sevenoaks (a high-end home cinema retailer in the UK); and to the second, no.

We’ve seen a few Kuro KRPs in the field and in trade shows, but none performed to this level. The running theory proffered by David was that according to some industry insiders, before Pioneer ended its plasma production run, a selected batch of 50-inch KRP models actually contained modules and driver software intended for the third generation of Kuros (10G in Pioneer PDP speak) featuring “Infinite Black†technology, which, of course, ultimately never saw the light of day. The outstanding sample we were lucky enough to lay eyes upon over the weekend might have come from such a batch (affectionately referred to as 9.5G among informed Kuro owners).

Interestingly, both Pioneer Kuro owners who loaned their sets (the PDP-LX6090 and the KRP-500A) for the event said that they would rather keep their existing televisions after seeing the ZT65, VT65 and F8500 in action, but conceded that the ZT is the closest yet Panasonic has come to dethroning the Kuro as far as black level is concerned. In a straw poll of the attendees at a Q&A session towards the end, when asked which of the currently available TV would they buy if money was no object, almost everyone (including David and me) chose the Panasonic TX-P60ZT65."

yes the king still lives....in exile.... :D

I hope mine never dies ! :)

Yes ....but that one had 10th generation infinite black technology in it......very few of them ever made.

A 65 inch panasonic VT60 can be had for around $3300 if you can still find one.

Bigger screen , lighter, uses much less power , runs cooler ,has 3D....skype camera usb recording...warranty and better picture, a no brainer as the yanks like to say.

Exactly what I have Mark. A friend of mine knows a couple of the guys at one of the big JB stores and I was able to pick one up for $3500 inclusive of 5 years warranty. The two guys from JB both have the same set also and swore by them.

Stuff Jeeps, Don't hold back and get a Panasonic plasma!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nyhyhy3a.jpg

Buy yourself a Panasonic set, while they are still available. Dont get sucked into buying an old TV which would be on its last legs with parts not as readily available.

Its a bit like the apple v android debate. Apple fan boys refuse to believe they have been left behind by android. They just simply refuse to let go ; )

yes it is like the apple and android debate. neither can see why anyone would buy anything else ! 

Yes ....but that one had 10th generation infinite black technology in it......very few of them ever made.

must be why I love picture of my krp-500M literally the last available it was. and have seen subsequent generations of other brand displays and nope sorry don't cut it...

• Like 1

How do you know they don't cut it ?

Looking at one in a showroom under bright fluorescent lighting would be pointless. ...would have to get one home and run tests on it side by side with your own panel to be a fair comparison.

There is no doubt the Kuros were and still are great sets. I just cant see how they can top a current VT or ZT Panasonic unit when you consider that Panasonic hired Pioneers best plasma engineers once they pulled the pin....now several years ago.

Haha. Panasonic bought pioneers Kuro patents, their engineers and have had several years to work their majic....but hey they still cant cut it, I rest my case!

do you like repeating your self ? :D 

repeating your self doesn't achieve anything unless you just want to ram your message down someones throat :D

How do you know they don't cut it ?

Looking at one in a showroom under bright fluorescent lighting would be pointless. ...would have to get one home and run tests on it side by side with your own panel to be a fair comparison.

mark perhaps you dont know that I have not only owned plasma TVs for over ten years but also as an enthusiast constantly been on the look out of what there is on the display market over that period. I don't make judgement only in a shop no. there are retailers that actually take time out to calibrate displays. and no am not talking about your local box mover. and I also happen to know people with displays, all of whom take trouble to have them appropriately setup to demo.

do you own a calibrated kuro that you have done tests side but side with your own panel to make a fair comparison ?

obviously if have read any of the posts in this thread you would see there are panels out there that people believe to be the ducks nuts. the op is very obviously looking for a pioneer kuro. there is a reason for this, and I for one can totally understand. maybe you don't as a panasonic owner, but perhaps maybe something to accept that people do value the kuros. just because you think your panel is better doesn't change that fact sorry.

I bought my first Pioneer TV back in 1997 so I win :nana .....a 50 inch widescreen RPTV.

Then bought a Pioneer plasma ....505 iirc , then upgraded to a 507 then finally to a Pioneer Kuro 508.

Going from memory , not side by side,  but the VT60 is far superior to the 508 Kuro.......theres lots of professional reviews out there showing that the black level and contrast and overall picture quality of them is measurably superior to the final gen 9 Kuros.

Thats good enough for me , and they don't cost $14,000 as the last gen 9 , 60 inch Kuros did here in Perth .

Last post on the topic though as clearly not the place to discuss here .....but in my defence , I didn't start it.

I bought my first Pioneer TV back in 1997 so I win :nana .....a 50 inch widescreen RPTV.

Then bought a Pioneer plasma ....505 iirc , then upgraded to a 507 then finally to a Pioneer Kuro 508.

Going from memory , not side by side,  but the VT60 is far superior to the 508 Kuro.......theres lots of professional reviews out there showing that the black level and contrast and overall picture quality of them is measurably superior to the final gen 9 Kuros.

Thats good enough for me , and they don't cost $14,000 as the last gen 9 , 60 inch Kuros did here in Perth .

Last post on the topic though as clearly not the place to discuss here .....but in my defence , I didn't start it.

really ? sorry 2004 was me…but I was looking for TVs before that :P had CRT before, no RPTV for me ! :D

early pioneers I thought were ok. and the pioneers came a huge way since and subsequent kuros too, even up from the 508 ! don't accept your point re the gen 9 and the pana's but respect it is your view :)

and ps, don't know about the 60" but it wasn't anything like $14,000 for my krp-500M, the rep was $5999 from memory. though who pays retail :)

had a look at the 65 inch VT60 today at JB.    Sitting wedged between just as large 4k LCD's shows in showroom conditions why plasma does not sell.  Looked dark and dull in direct comparison.  I am not sure the Pany had anything done with it, it was not that impressive on the show room floor. 

Of course those that own plasmas know that in you own home the better refresh rates, slightly more natural picture and better movement is what you buy plasma for.

Anyway, I was less than impressed with the build quality of the Pany 65 inch. The glass seemed to be very thin and hollow compared to my Kuro 50 inch.  The Pioneer build quality is a lot better than the Pany.

Now tossing up whether to get a 65 inch Pany or just stick with my 50 inch Pioneer Kuro which I love. And wait for 4k OLED TV's to get cheaper?

could do what I do...keep the pio krp-500M as its a beautifull plasma for FTA TV and daytime viewing and such. If craving a bigger picture grab a projector...then screen size isnt a limitation and can sit at a distance to fully resolve Hight definition and full immersion to THX spec. go with a motorised projector screen infront of the pioneer and you get best of both worlds :)

pio kuro for every day use TV and day time viewing...

11578842243_5342b1f6d5_b.jpg

screen down for the big screen experience...

11581678403_723c65d0b8_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nice setup Al, however I have zero interest in a projector or home theatre.  My HiFi and music takes priority over HT every day of every week.

I was only looking at perhaps getting a larger 65 inch screen for FTA/Foxtel and the odd movie while I could still buy the supposed best plasma picture.    

But compared to the luxury build of the Pioneer Kuro 508 vs the cheap looking VT60 and build of the Pany VT60 65 inch, I think I will keep the Kuro in the TV room for quite a while yet  :)  I am more than happy with the 50 inch pq and sound I am getting from the Kuro, while I am sure I will be disappointed with the sound of the Pany and perhaps a little happier with the picture?

Cheers

Edited by metal beat

The pana is far from cheap looking lol and while the sound is actually very good ,who listens to tv through the tv speakers these days anyhow haha??

If you are happy with your set why even ask the question to begin with?

Edited by Solid State 79

The pana is far from cheap looking lol and while the sound is actually very good ,who listens to tv through the tv speakers these days anyhow haha??

If you are happy with your set why even ask the question to begin with?

Do you read?

Did you hear the news flash, Panasonic no longer make Plasma - out of business, gone.  That is the only reason I went and looked while you can still buy one.  

Good that you are happy with the VT, but compared to the Kuro build quality is not as good.  Pany got me feeling meh and I was quite happy to buy one :eek:  

The sq out of the Kuro speakers are fine for what I use it for - watching tv. I will leave watching the rugby league and news in 7.1 for you ht boys  ;)

Cheers

Edited by metal beat

I own both a Kuro and a VT   ;)

That was my plan as well, still might be as not a large fan of LCD,  perhaps I need to reset my expectations on the Pany build quality.

Which do you think has better built quality Kuro 508 or VT?  Tap the glass.

I do read well thanks and know that pana are no longer making plasma sets.

I only asked the question as your initial post saying you were tossing up between your kuro and a new vt set and deciding to keep your kuro were only 2 hours apart...

Edited by Solid State 79

I do read well thanks and know that pana are no longer making plasma sets.

I only asked the question as your initial post saying you were tossing up between your kuro and a new vt set and deciding to keep your kuro were only 2 hours apart...

Yes, I watched the Kuro for two hours and posted while I was still watching it.    Easy to convince ones self that you need to go newer and larger, even if you don't need to.

Big first world problem here  :D

We have our last 65" VT at the shop and will probably let it go for about $2800... None of the LED's can come close. The KRP looks to be something special but oh so rare...

I have seen a lot of TV's but none, and I mean none have the black levels or dynamic range that the OLEDs have. To my thinking, this is the panel of the future. The LG OLED simply creams every other panel in the shop for black level and contrast ratio. haven't seen one in real world circumstances so can't speak for it's overall PQ with lower grade sources but, with every manufacturer displaying their sets with their own demo material, I can safely say that LED is a dead duck technology when compared to what the OLED can produce under similar circumstances...

Hope my plasma lasts long enough to allow me to skip the LED dreck altogether..

Cheers

M

• Like 2