If you made a record of songs that Dylan never released in any decade that he has existed it would be close to best record of that time

this is just a great song considered rightly I guess too long to fit on Time Out Of Mind

in decades to come Time Out Of Mind will be recognised as one of Bob’s best ever recording up there with Blood On The Tracks Highway 61 And Blonde On Blonde

sublime lyrics singing and simple instrumentation 

this is a stone cold masterpiece 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Went and saw him in 1992 in Hobart, got stoned off my face to get me in the zone and promptly fell asleep and missed most of the concert :wacko: . Apparently wasn't much chop anyway but was still annoyed with myself

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to ranking Bob’s records it is kind of crowded at the top

But I have to say that side 1 of this record is using a bit of argy bargy to push its way in

great singing spread over a long period of time from the 80’s To the early 00’s that illustrate what a great singer he was

As for the words these are great songs that show Dylan never really lost the plot especially if you throw in some of the unreleased songs on Trouble No More 

The only plot Bob lost was the ability to recognise these great these songs or at least the versions of them here are and release them at the time they were recorded 

The best writer in rock music and one of the very best singers

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

52 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

77 and not yet out

and playing in Perth shortly

Are you going?

Alas no, I will be in Hawaii trying to catch a few waves.

I hope to catch him one more time, I am sure like you that he has more in him......:thumb:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Alas no, I will be in Hawaii trying to catch a few waves.

I hope to catch him one more time, I am sure like you that he has more in him......:thumb:

Think those waves would be too big for me

Although WA certainly gets them from film clips I’ve seen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keyse1 said:

Think those waves would be too big for me

Although WA certainly gets them from film clips I’ve seen

Ha ha....I will be surfing on the south shore and whilst it can get big (10'+ in 2013 when i visited see pic) its usually 2-5' which is heaps of fun for this old salty dog.

1162713543_Hawaii2013Bigswell.thumb.JPG.da30b0dafad80cfbd23e4f78f610f014.JPG

• Like 2

image.png.1d6837cf4ffd656112b1ea051deaf98c.png

Betty LaVette - Things Have Changed (2018)

Dylan is my favourite artist and not just for his songwriting. I don't mind covers of his songs, but I'm very much in the 'nobody sings Dylan like Dylan' camp. Despite - or I don't know, maybe because of - the often maligned 'weak', 'whiney voice', I think he's one of the best singers of his era. So while there are plenty of covers of his I love, by Nina Simone, Van Morrison, The Byrds, Cat Power and others, it's rare for me to think these versions come close to let alone surpass Dylan's originals. Hell, I've even come round to preferring the John Wesley Harding version of 'All Along The Watchtower' to Jimi's, which is pretty much the text book case of topping the original or making a song one's own. All of this makes an album of Dylan covers an odd choice for me, but here it is.

Despite having a healthy interest in old soul and R&B, my first encounter with Betty LaVette was Scene Of The Crime (2007), which she recorded with the Drive-By Truckers and Joe Henry as she entered her sixties and cemented a late career revival. She's done a few albums since then, which I haven't kept up with, including one of British Invasion covers. And here she takes on a full album of Dylan covers. The song choices are clever, leaning on more obscure cuts. 'The Times They Are A-Changing' is the only stone cold 'iconic' song here, and it gets a pretty radical rearrangement. 'Emotionally Yours', I think I've never heard in the Dylan version. The off-the-beaten track selections work in two ways. First they give the singer and the band room to move out of Dylan's shadow and do the songs their own way. She's an excellent interpretive singer. She understands the songs and measures the words, some times tweaking them, giving her phrasing Dylanesque gravity without trying to sound like Dylan. And the band is great: Steve Jordan (drums), Pino Palladino (bass) Larry Campbell (guitar), Peon Pendarvis (keys), with cameos by Keith Richards, Trombone Shorty and a Neville nephew. It's the kind of well oiled pro unit that old Bob knows how to work with, but didn't always know how to work with young Bob. Groove is, I think, an under appreciated quality in Dylan's music and these guys groove hard. The second way the selections work is in highlighting just how deep Dylan's catalogue is. It's crowded at the top, but even a shelf or two down the songwriting is striking, and listening to these versions you go: damn that's a good song.

Better than the originals? I dunno. But definitely recommended for either Bob fans or soul fans.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

More great songs than you can poke a stick at so to speak

This is another

Picture of Bob and Bette Midler who recorded Buckets of Rain

I saw Bette Midler in Brisbane 

She told the dirtiest jokes and included Joe Banana in one of them

i was appalled after I recovered from laughing

and a great joke about Western Australia that I laughed about because I had the misfortune to have been there

very funny night

image.jpg

• Like 2

First time I ever heard this song was in 1979-80 in London by Wilco Johnson

One of the glories of rock n roll

Saw him a few times with only a few dozen people each time 

Some of the best nights I have ever had in the audience at a rock concert

Funny thing about the song I knew the words and recognised it almost immediately because I had read about it

the only time in my life I shouted out the words above a murmur because I seriously can’t sing

In England they drink beer by the pint which from memory was 2 middies

i remember being really excited to hear this on Biograph for the first time by Dylan 

image.jpg

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 3

Another good song that never made it to record

There is a killer version of this on Trouble No More where it morphs into a great song and comes complete with a pedal steel

Part of his Born again years

Trouble No More is racing up my Bob Dylan scale as I listen to the point of obsession 

One cd in particular is just extraordinary in terms of lyrics and vocal and the killer band 

image.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Another great unreleased song

From the Blood On The Tracks sessions 

Sounds a bit like some of the songs on that record but the lyrics make it 

image.jpg

I love that one. It's pretty much 'Shelter From the Storm' but with completely different lyrics isn't it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

I love that one. It's pretty much 'Shelter From the Storm' but with completely different lyrics isn't it? 

The lyrics are a totally different song but the music is pretty similar 

is it shelter or tangled up in blue?

i would have to listen 

as soon as Up To Me starts the music is instantly recognisable 

i think that is fairly common because I know with unreleased songs by other artists I hear them and think I am listening to something else but the lyrics are differnt

maybe that is why they never get released because the music is too similar and they move on

• Like 1

@Monty

have you heard Trouble No More?

Not cheap to buy

If not I could burn some of it or USB stick them for you

8 cds

or @Mendes if you don’t have it

oe anyone who might be interested 

dont be put off by the religion it is a bit off putting but the singing and the band make it real

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

@Monty

have you heard Trouble No More?

Not cheap to buy

If not I could burn some of it or USB stick them for you

8 cds

or @Mendes if you don’t have it

oe anyone who might be interested 

dont be put off by the religion it is a bit off putting but the singing and the band make it real

Thanks @keyse1............. I dig/ dug his gospel phase!!  :thumb:

• Like 1

A humorous but true piece I stumbled upon yesterday..............

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has branded Bob Dylan a “nasty little bugger.”

The slam comes as retaliation over a comment made years ago.

But it hasn’t stopped him naming Dylan’s 1966 release Blonde On Blonde as an album everyone should hear before they die.

Richards tells NME: “He showed you that rock’n’roll didn’t need to be quite so restricted by that verse-chorus-verse formula. We app pushed each other in those days.”

However, he continues: “Bob’s a nasty little bugger. I remember him saying to me, ‘I could have written Satisfaction, Keith – but you couldn’t have written Desolation Row.’

“I said, ‘Well, you’re right there, Bob!’”

:lol:

Edited by Mendes
spelling...doh!!
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Mendes said:

A humorous but true piece I stumbled upon yesterday..............

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has branded Bob Dylan a “nasty little bugger.”

The slam comes as retaliation over a comment made years ago.

But it hasn’t stopped him naming Dylan’s 1966 release Blonde On Blonde as an album everyone should hear before they die.

Richards tells NME: “He showed you that rock’n’roll didn’t need to be quite so restricted by that verse-chorus-verse formula. We app pushed each other in those days.”

However, he continues: “Bob’s a nasty little bugger. I remember him saying to me, ‘I could have written Satisfaction, Keith – but you couldn’t have written Desolation Row.’

“I said, ‘Well, you’re right there, Bob!’”

:lol:

You know the cover of Get Your Ya Yas Out references Visions Of Johanna with the binoculars and jewels 

• Like 2