Sign in to follow this  
peacewise

Talking - Gaming.

I've not seen a thread dedicated to gaming, so here's one for us gamers, we the few who lead the cutting edge in PC technology or consoles.

Gaming, it's great fun, strategy, turn based or real time strategy.

Puzzles - meh, simulators - not my cup of tea, and for a long time first person shooters made me motion sick, till I spent all weekend going through Modern Warfare 2 and Crysis 3 on my new gaming rig.

I'm reminded of the SNA'er who mentioned he is the guy off mission in a game because he's testing the games soundstage by exploding grenades.

And then late, well early morning actually, one Saturday I kindly took up thy headphones for Cysis3 and was utterly blown away by the immersive experience, in an eye blink nearly making my $30 yogi headphones the new pinnacle of my gaming experience - if only I'd not previously gamed through the vaf i66's attached to my hk990. Yes, that's right $30 headphones just about surpassing $10k worth of gear... if only I'd known I might have created a budget for headphones.

Your gaming experiences, technology, hardware n software & games, talk about them here.

When the cars seemed like they were dropping out of the sky after an orbital thermonuclear emp in MW2 I was running round like any Gods fearing man might when faced with a potential apocalypse, and died many a horrific death completing the level.

Or battling some 9 year old Korean lad at Starcraft2 - and losing of course cause his apm (actions per minute) is 236 apm, and mine at best is 60 apm.

I've played every civilisation game in existence, 1 through V with all expansions, yes gaming likely dropped my gpa by several points - but enhanced my problem solving beyond the 98th percentile (as measured by the student tertiary admissions test stat), can one get a job for being brilliant at games... Apparently not bloody likely, not even as a tester.

Doom, the great game that became a, cough cough, average movie.

Assassins creed spawned books.

Halo, a whole heap of plastic junk, and books too.

What's your favourite game?

What are you grinding through lately?

Which game reveals the brilliance of your desktop hifi?

Game On.

post-112981-0-63628900-1400833243.jpg

post-112981-0-37564900-1400833290.jpg

post-112981-0-48064500-1400833341.jpg

Hah, that was me testing the grenades 

I use to game a lot with my brothers on X360. We particularly liked the Co-op FPS games. We smashed through Borderlands in massive 10 hour sessions. Still going on Borderlands 2, as we get older we have less time for such things. 

I will always have fond memories of the COD series. I barely scrapped through my honours thesis as i was addicted to COD4 Modern Warfare. I had never played a game online before, and that opened me up to a world of pain. I grew up with Goldeneye so cheating of the screen below was the way to win.

Ive built my own PC rig now for the HT. Its fairly basic but will play x360 quality games no worries. ONly thing is im restricted to the controller rather than keys and mouse atm

Im saving up for another mouse and key rig for my other room. Then i can get serious about PC gaming. Ive found it so much better than consoles so far. Steam is just an amazing way to go

My rig is four years old and the only time it's off is when it updates, so it's fair dinkumly on 24/7 and I love the fact that I invested in it when I did and it's still doing the biZ for me.

I have all my games on Steam and couldn't be buggered buying the hard copy versions. The Cloud is the future.

Thief is my fav game at the mo and I aspire to be more than f/ing meat...dead meat in DOTA 2 and for those of you out there(yes all you old blokes out there in SNA land... :P ) who tut tut when PC/Console games are mentioned have a look at the current prize pool for being good in a game  that I'm utterly useless in but enjoy playing all the same if for nothing else than the soundtracks...yup...I'm am indeed that shallow that I'll mix with kiddies online just to steal the S/Tracks from their games...)

One of many things I liked audio wise was Zombie bears on D3 with my witch doctor. I may only have a homemade 12" sub in the computer room but the bears shake the room! No longer running WD and when I paragon grind I use a Arcane Wiz now (no free time atm though).

As I just got a PS4 I am currently playing Battlefield 4 and Child of Light on the PS4 (PS I am crap at BF4!)

Yeh, twenty five + years ago I couldn't even study computer science in high school, these days one can make a decent living playing games.

Starcraft2 athletes, or experts if u prefer, make millions in Korea!

Not much of a console gamer, but I did play through Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3. At the time I had a Krell 5.1 system (the rears were Spendor S9s) with at least several watts on tap. Grenades or explosions could come close to knocking your drink over, I think the neighbours hated me...

Mostly a strategy player on PC though - Civ, Total War.

Crysis 3 might be tempting if I ever find the time.

Im into pc gaming. Currently supreme commander is my main game. Still the best rts ever made :) was playing battlefield a bit but bf4 was a disappointment. Just got wolfenstein which looks pretty good. I love when a sound in a game is so real you think something else is happening outside.

I used to play pub pong when I was a student, a looooong time ago. (Sorry!)

Supreme commander best rts, ha ha, surely u mean starcraft2!

My gaming time has pretty much vanished now I have a 2 year old daughter.....but I still get a bit of XBOX in every now and then. I was previously a hardcore PC gamer. I've still got a top of the line gaming rig (more for photoshop these days)......but I just find the XBOX so much easier to manage with updates, drivers etc etc. There is a thread on DTV about favourite games which I posted the following list on.

I suppose if I think about this, each of these games was played to death at some point during my life so I am rather nostalgic about them as they remind me of an easier, stress free time.....similar to my favourite music I suppose as well.

Doom 2

Tie-fighter

Modern Warfare 2 (still my mantle for best FPS)

Medieval Totalwar

Dune 2

Command and Conquer

Half Life / Counter Strike

Resident Evil 5

Return to Zork

Dark Forces

Master of Orion II

Dawn of War (plus add on's) - best RTS IMO, but I have not played Starcraft 2

X-Com

Star Craft

I suppose I should at LOTRO to that list.....I think my "time count" on that is about 2-3 months.....wish I had never played it....still log on to keep my account current, but I have no idea what I am doing anymore

Good to see another master of Orion player, I player moo original to death, but couldn't get into moo2. Moo3, crikey what a shocker that was.

+1 for MW2, very cool game.

I play ALOT.... of BF4 and I mean alot same with 3. However just started playing Company of Heros 2....... BF4

i need PC gamers to play with on Steam. My rig isnt good enough for BF4 so im sticking with single player games atm

i used to play the hell out of BF3, so much better than the COD lineup, the battles were intense. I cant wait to get it going on the PC where there are heaps more people

Company of heros 2, for something different?

that actually looks pretty good. I used to play a lot of Age of Empires.

Is it very computer intensive, will an older machine run it ok?

My uncle and I used to play heaps of Age of Empires 2, Age of Kings with Conquerors expansion over a home LAN. I got so good at it I could beat 4 hardest ai's on my own.

Love the Paladin unit of the Spanish, a real trebuchet killer.

that actually looks pretty good. I used to play a lot of Age of Empires.

Is it very computer intensive, will an older machine run it ok?

Throw up your rig, and ill take a look.

I dare say if you were running BF3 it will..... Reminds me I have a spare video card to move on

Playing Crysis 3 and Starcraft 2 on my laptop these days, only because I needed a directX 11 compatible graphics card. Got external monitor, mouse and keyboard hooked up. Sound is USB to 3.5 external DAC and AKG Q701s.

Lappy specs: i7 2.2Ghz processor, 8Mb RAM 1Tb HDD and 1Gb graphice card, win 8.1 64bit.

Desktop specs: Q9550 core2 duo at 2.83GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb SSD +2x 1Tb HDDs GTX 275 graphics and win 7 64 bit.

Edited by Batty

Throw up your rig, and ill take a look.

I dare say if you were running BF3 it will..... Reminds me I have a spare video card to move on

i5 2500k 3.30ghz

GeForce GTX560

8 GB Ram

whats the spare card you have btw?

I may get a DX11 graphics card for the desktop as its faster than the i7 lappy.

I may get a DX11 graphics card for the desktop as its faster than the i7 lappy.

Must stop reading, don't need upgrade...

Always need upgrades

i5 2500k 3.30ghz

GeForce GTX560

8 GB Ram

whats the spare card you have btw?

i recon it should run it, prob not on ultra etc.

I have a spare Asus 560Ti

Apparently that runs a bit cooler than the standard 560, what would you offload it for? MIght be worth swapping mine out, as i need to build a PC for my brother who can use my old card