Sign in to follow this  
firefly0071

Arcam Receiver - Previous model AVR 400

I am quite tempted to purchase this since it has the pre outs for my power amp and to my floorstanding speakers.

But there is no 4k upscaling etc.

Any thoughts?

PS3-PS4 will be inputs. Powr amp for the left and right speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcam-FMJ-AVR400-AV-Receiver-Home-Theatre-Surround-Sound-RRP-3-499-/251525783573?pt=AU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Tuners_Receivers&hash=item3a901ae015&_uhb=1

I wuldnt get to hung up on 4k as is a waste of time. there will be no disc standard still for another year or two. until that comes through I wouldn't bother trying to get something "future proof"

Hi,

Arcam receivers have a deserved reputation for possessing good quality amplification.

By using the pre outs you will be bypassing the Arcam's amps.

I assume you would  be using the Arcam in a multi channel rig?

What quality of power amp/amps will you be using??

Maybe a play off is in order??

Agree with Al re 4K.

PS  This should have been posted in the Home Theatre A/V Receivers section ;)

Edited by JohnL

I purchased an Exposure  power AMp (made in the UK) for $1k to amplifiy my left and right floorstanding speakers. 

The speakers are part of consolidating my system and hence  moved to a home theatre system.

It's mainly TV viewing and hence the two channel.

Apologies for the wrong section - honest mistake.

if im not mistaken the 400 is the last series and from what i have read on the 600 major fw issues which was never sorted. if you are looking at Arcam look into the current series as the issues ironed out.

I would certainly consider the current 360 model if can, especially if have a power amp already :)

Parents bought a 360 a couple of months ago. Great sound (including 2ch) using on board power to drive Whatmough Performance standmounts. Quite different to any other AVR I've set up though. They actually have a 2ch power amp sitting idle as we deemed it unnecessary for their needs, they don't crank the system being in their mid 70's

I'm looking into buying a AVR 360 & I have a NAD power amp to drive my left / rights.

I've heard reports about it's video handling / scaling being not so great (this doesn't really bother me as I can connect direct to plasma) but what about over all performance?

Cheers

Matt

So far my parents have had issues with incorporating the Arcam into a Harmony remote set up. All Arcam amps take ages from pressing the on buttom until you can select an input. The Harmony doesn't seem to like this. I find the same thing with my FMJ A28

Oh....I plan to use my Harmony.

I did also notice the same thing when I had my A32 in the room with the Logitech & by the time it switched on, the logitech would resend the signal to power on/off & turn it off!!

if im not mistaken the 400 is the last series and from what i have read on the 600 major fw issues which was never sorted. if you are looking at Arcam look into the current series as the issues ironed out.

What do you mean by FW issues?

I'm looking into a 360 or a 400 but need something that's rock solid in terms of HDMI connectivity & reliability (Fox HD, Oppo BD, iMac & PVR).

Cheers

Matt

Arcam 400 and 600 has HDMI / FW issues where delays, issues with switching occur. These issues was never fixed. however the current models apparently most of these issues if not all are ironed out

Thanks , do we know whether they released a FW upgrade to sort these out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk