Sign in to follow this  
Super Mustud

Car Detailing

Do you use Iron X as well as claying?

I would if i was doing it again and definitely if i was taking delivery from new. I've seen some cars over on Detail Paradise that have turned absolutely purple after having it applied, they hadn't even been driven yet :o .

Iron X wasn't known to me when i did my car, that was a few years ago now and it's still swirl free thanks to OC and a far less agricultural wash technique. Wax on the wheels means they are a spray on hose off affair, it'd be interesting to see how much unseen contamination is on them if i was to apply iron X. I'd look at the new microfibre 'clay' cloths instead of the traditional clay bar too

Don't forget all these process do remove paint over time , so don't get overly jealous .

Cheers

Yep.

And to add to this, car manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs, and a lot of new cars have a thinner layer of paint then cars from a few years back.

I'm a spray painter by trade, and sometime have to polish cars.

So i have polished enough cars in my lifetime.

So im not going to polish my own car.....

Yep.

And to add to this, car manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs, and a lot of new cars have a thinner layer of paint then cars from a few years back.

I'm a spray painter by trade, and sometime have to polish cars.

So i have polished enough cars in my lifetime.

So im not going to polish my own car.....

Yep, panel beater by trade

Cheers

haha, just like the mechanic who doesn't want to service his mates cars, the chef who hates cooking at home etc etc. I found it thoroughly enjoyable. on my car. that i loved. But day after day on other people's cars.....

Yep, I reckon you'd have seen evidence via a paint thickness meter too. In my opinion softer, thinner paints make a stronger case for products like Opticoat, ceramiclear, Nanolex et al - correct early and once, wash correctly and forget for years (except if you've got a dark car and want to improve depth with a wax).

Don't forget all these process do remove paint over time , so don't get overzealous .

Cheers

Indeed. That's why i do nearly everything by hand and only do a machine polish every couple of years and even then it's only with a gentle compound. How you do the weekly wash so you don't get swirls is of paramount importance. The paint on the BMW is nearly 30 years old and it's wonderful stuff, but so many modern cars have really ordinary paint. Probably a lot safer to the environment to manufacture and apply though.

Weirdos...

....now, where's my LP cleaning fluids

Probably in the drawer with the baby oil...

Probably a lot safer to the environment to manufacture and apply though.

Nope, it's purely and only cause it will save them money.

Yep, panel beater by trade

Cheers

I read your location is Werribee, I was in point cook for 5 years..

I know there are a lot of panelshops, but it is possible....

I read your location is Werribee, I was in point cook for 5 years..I know there are a lot of panelshops, but it is possible....

No mate I haven't worked full time in the industry for 24 years . I would do the occasional resto job from home , Seabrook estate . Which was Laverton South like most of Point Cook is .:-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Edited by Malcolm

Nah, I learnt long ago to keep solvents and oils well separated...

You realise that both products arise from the same root ingredient?

No mate I haven't worked full time in the industry for 24 years . I would do the occasional resto job from home , Seabrook estate . Which was Laverton South like most of Point Cook is .:-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Fair enough.

You realise that both products arise from the same root ingredient?

Hydrocarbons