Sign in to follow this  
Super Mustud

Car Detailing

Unless you go mad with a machine polish ,especially if you don't know what you're doing then the amount of paint removed is minimal. You could hand polish a car until the cows come home and never get close to the base coat.

Wrong usage will damage and excel the process, propper use wil minimise the removal of paint, but it still removes paint .

Also, depending on the thickness of the paint, it is possible to remove paint with a hand polish, and i know cause i have done just that.

Edited by Damhooligan

Wrong usage will damage and excel the process, propper use wil minimise the removal of paint, but it still removes paint .

Also, depending on the thickness of the paint, it is possible to remove paint with a hand polish, and i know cause i have done just that.

Wrong equipment, wrong technique, i've been hand polishing my cars since 1988 and not removed any paint of any significance yet.

One of several reasons why I had the Opticoat pro finish applied after detailing. I will find out after about 6 years if it works...

Wrong equipment, wrong technique, i've been hand polishing my cars since 1988 and not removed any paint of any significance yet.

Is it the same car you have been polishing since 1988 ??

One of several reasons why I had the Opticoat pro finish applied after detailing. I will find out after about 6 years if it works...

Fair enough.

This opticoat does look like a product of interest.

Is it the same car you have been polishing since 1988 ??

No, but the idea that with a polish like Autoglym's Super Resin and a Meguiers standard hand pad you are ever going to remove any paint is nonsense, especially to the point of getting down to the metal or base coat. The only way you are going to cause damage is to use a too aggressive polish and a too hard pad in which case you are going about things completely wrong. If you T-Cut every week then you will do harm but standard car polishes on a soft pad applied in the shade are never going to be a cause for concern. You can tell by looking at the pad when you're polishing, there isn't a trace of colour on there as you wouldn't even be skimming the clearcoat.

No, but the idea that with a polish like Autoglym's Super Resin and a Meguiers standard hand pad you are ever going to remove any paint is nonsense

Every polish is abrasive and will remove paint, not something in making up, it's true.

Sure, it won't remove massive amounts.. But it still removes....

Try it on a car that does not have clear coat, ie solid red or solid white.

When you polish, you will see that the polishing pad will turn red or white.

Every polish is abrasive and will remove paint, not something in making up, it's true.

Sure, it won't remove massive amounts.. But it still removes....

Try it on a car that does not have clear coat, ie solid red or solid white.

When you polish, you will see that the polishing pad will turn red or white.

Infinitesimally small amounts and certainly not enough to ever damage if done properly. Sure, a non clearcoated paint will lose more paint if you are overzealous but that is where the use of a sealant and wax is of paramount importance. A brand new car with the thickest paint imaginable can be damaged in the blink of an eye with the wrong gear and polish but that doesn't mean that cars shouldn't be polished. You chose never to polish your own car, that's fair enough. I do and always have polished my cars as i enjoy the process and the end result but i do it with the proper materials and the right techniques and have never had any problems with harming the paintwork. 

Infinitesimally small amounts and certainly not enough to ever damage if done properly. Sure, a non clearcoated paint will lose more paint if you are overzealous but that is where the use of a sealant and wax is of paramount importance. A brand new car with the thickest paint imaginable can be damaged in the blink of an eye with the wrong gear and polish but that doesn't mean that cars shouldn't be polished. You chose never to polish your own car, that's fair enough. I do and always have polished my cars as i enjoy the process and the end result but i do it with the proper materials and the right techniques and have never had any problems with harming the paintwork.

Dam hooligan is in the trade and more qualified than you about paint ,he's just giving some advice so some others reading this don't get in trouble .

Cheers

Dam hooligan is in the trade and more qualified than you about paint ,he's just giving some advice so some others reading this don't get in trouble .

Cheers

So everyone in the trade is an expert? I've seen more than my fair share of rubbish work done by panel beaters and 'professional' paint sprayers to last a lifetime. Go along to a classic car meet and look at cars that have had 'professional' resprays and panel work done and marvel at the orange peel, poorly filled joints, poorly repaired dent work etc.

While you're there look at and talk to owners of cars up to 80 years old who have meticulously looked after their own paintwork by hand, with the correct tools and techniques and it more often than not puts resprays and restorations to shame.

If you want to put people off looking after their own cars in a detailing thread then go ahead but you're not going to put me off.

I am not trying to discourage you at all.

I was only saying in general, even with the nessecary precautions polish removes paint.

Most modern cars have clear coat, and as the name suggests its 'clear', if you polished a solid colour without clear you will see that colour on your polishing pad/rag.

You won't see it when you polish 'clear' but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Sent from StereoNET App

So everyone in the trade is an expert?

More than an ameture is and I've seen more poor work in the trade than you .I've also painted more cars than you have polished ;):D

Cheers

Wow, people will get aggro anything won't they.

Looks like Marc might need to put car polishing on the list of banned topics along with religion

More than an ameture is and I've seen more poor work in the trade than you .I've also painted more cars than you have polished ;):D

Cheers

Having said that Malcolm, don't underestimate passionate people.

Hergest is clearly passionate about polishing and that's awesome.

He is also very well educated on the topic.

Wow, people will get aggro anything won't they.

Who is agro?

Mayby you are reading it wrong..?

All i read is people with a different view disagreeing with each other ;-)

I am starting to regret commencing this thread.

As a point of interest, we picked up the XV from Dan's today - it is lovely, however took the opportunity to discuss aspects of the above controversy with him. I hope I remembered correctly what he told me.

Old paint, as on H's BMW was most probably 300 microns thick, quite soft, and readily hand polished.

Newer paint is much thinner, say 150 microns thick, and much harder - although Japanese cars are softer than the Euros, with Honda being the softest.

Dan reckons he removed about 3 microns with the 2 Stage detailing on my Liberty and less on the Goddess' XV. The amount to be removed was so little that he did not even bother doing a thickness check as there was no necessity.

For those interested in the topic, check out Detail Paradise.

I am starting to regret commencing this thread.

As a point of interest, we picked up the XV from Dan's today - it is lovely, however took the opportunity to discuss aspects of the above controversy with him. I hope I remembered correctly what he told me.

Why ,you should be used to turning threads on their head :D .

Cheers

Why ,you should be used to turning threads on their head :D .

Cheers

Oh Mal, that is only in comedy threads like Climate Change or Politics.

Important threads such as Car Detailing I take seriously!

Can't you tell...?

Important threads such as Car Detailing I take seriously!

Quite right.

Decided this evening to give the Liberty its first light wash after detailing and Opticoat.

Two bucket wash (first time I have ever bothered), Optimum car shampoo, Mint microfiber mitt and Megs microfiber to dry. About 40 minutes, plus about another 40 to walk around and feel pleased.

It is extraordinary how delightfully these things can work out.

Think I might need to get a waffle weave for the drying. The cloths I have are more suited to polishing.

This is better than working out what interconnect cables to get...

Steady now. :)

haha, glad you are loving your machinery Musty, it's a nice bit of work.

Decided this evening to give the Liberty its first light wash after detailing and Opticoat.

Two bucket wash (first time I have ever bothered), Optimum car shampoo, Mint microfiber mitt and Megs microfiber to dry. About 40 minutes, plus about another 40 to walk around and feel pleased.

It is extraordinary how delightfully these things can work out.

Think I might need to get a waffle weave for the drying. The cloths I have are more suited to polishing.

This is better than working out what interconnect cables to get...

I rinse with rain water--no drying needed.

Greg

Cheapskate. The microfiber manufacturers spit on you.

Drying your car is akin to stroking a lovely naked lady until she whimpers with pleasure.

Cheapskate. The microfiber manufacturers spit on you.

Drying your car is akin to stroking a lovely naked lady until she whimpers with pleasure.

It's been a long time between drinks hasn't Mustud :-)

I have a lot of microfibers.

Reminds me, must get a waffle weave. For added pleasure.