I'm considering adding a power amplifier such as a Rotel RB-1562 to handle the front left and right channels of my 5 channel set up. Receiver is a Denon AVR-1313 and front pair of speakers would be either Kef LS50 or Dynaudio Excite X12. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade or should I head in a different direction?

I'm considering adding a power amplifier such as a Rotel RB-1562 to handle the front left and right channels of my 5 channel set up. Receiver is a Denon AVR-1313 and front pair of speakers would be either Kef LS50 or Dynaudio Excite X12. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade or should I head in a different direction?

can't imagine it not being a step up from the denon for power amp side. personally though I would go with a nice 2ch integrated with htbypass instead. this will give you a 2ch pre and pwr upgrade over the denon receiver. and would still act as a power amp for driving your fronts to the benefit of av/ht side of things.

when demoing the kefs or dynaudio be sure to check out what amps there are as well you can demo with them with the htbypass functionality :)

Any recommendations for a suitable integrated with HT bypass?

Any recommendations for a suitable integrated with HT bypass?

whats your budget ?

About $1500

that should buy something pretty decent. theres m3i going here at $1895 (including a $300 cable). could tell them to keep the cable and could be on budget,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musical-Fidelity-M3i-Integrated-Amp-Includes-Free-Chord-Cable-Valued-at-300-/121316991676?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item1c3f0e62bc&_uhb=1

naim nait 5i with some arm twisting could be in reach too

http://www.targahifi.com.au/nait5i2.htm

peach tree nova, cambridge 851A, yamaha AS1000/2000

some older models but crackers ! try looking out for musical fidelity A308 or A5 integrated superb numbers. also an a3.5 all with ht bypass

there also the arcam A19 or A28 in their fmj series, pretty sure the creek models have ht bypass as well. 

probably other options too. but consider only what can check out :)

Thanks al that gives me a few options to look out for.

personally though I would go with a nice 2ch integrated with htbypass instead. this will give you a 2ch pre and pwr upgrade over the denon receiver. and would still act as a power amp for driving your fronts to the benefit of av/ht side of things.

Just wondering if you need a integrated with htbypass ?

Would an integrated amp with power amp function also work ?

I don't have experience with it so correct me if I'm wrong.

but if an integrated has a poweramp option couldn't you use that instead ?

As far as I know , the power amp option will bypass the pre-amp, and will disable volume control.

If I use the avr's pre out for the front, and connect them to via rca to the power amp direct in.

Wouldn't the avr control the sound output that goes to the power amp ?

Edited by Damhooligan

Just wondering if you need a integrated with htbypass ?

Would an integrated amp with power amp function also work ?

I don't have experience with it so correct me if I'm wrong.

but if an integrated has a poweramp option couldn't you use that instead ?

As far as I know , the power amp option will bypass the pre-amp, and will disable volume control.

If I use the avr's pre out for the front, and connect them to via rca to the power amp direct in.

Wouldn't the avr control the sound output that goes to the power amp ?

essentially your using the integrated as a power amp I gauge. or is it used as integrated for 2ch as well ?With a button for power amp function ? Which might be another name for htbypass...

which type of integrated is this damh, something OP might be interested in. keeping in mind the reason for the recommendation of 2ch integrated is a pre and power upgrade for the op for 2ch. os the integrated has to operate as an integrated i.e. pre an power sections for 2ch. and for ht only the power section is utilised. the htbypass by effect is doing just what your saying for ht. but for 2ch when disengaged the pre

essentially your using the integrated as a power amp I gauge. or is it used as integrated for 2ch as well ?With a button for power amp function ? Which might be another name for htbypass...

which type of integrated is this damh, something OP might be interested in. keeping in mind the reason for the recommendation of 2ch integrated is a pre and power upgrade for the op for 2ch. os the integrated has to operate as an integrated i.e. pre an power sections for 2ch. and for ht only the power section is utilised. the htbypass by effect is doing just what your saying for ht. but for 2ch when disengaged the pre

The amp i was referring to is Marantz pm7004.

But also goes for older models,as the amp itself doesn't change much.

I think the newer/latest is the pm8005.

But it's hard to find in aus, i found one in 'valuebasket.com' for just under 1600.

But not sure what to make of this shop, as don't know much about them .

Edited by Damhooligan

The amp i was referring to is Marantz pm7004.

But also goes for older models,as the amp itself doesn't change much.

I think the newer/latest is the pm8005.

But it's hard to find in aus, i found one in 'valuebasket.com' for just under 1600

Hi Damo, that's just same as htbypass, just another name for it. those marantz amps should be added to ops list to check out

Hi Damo, that's just same as htbypass, just another name for it. those marantz amps should be added to ops list to check out

Awesome, that's good news for me to, if i go multi channel one day.

But the rrp is over 2k, so outside the op's budget.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this