Sign in to follow this  
mikizee

The coffee bean thread

I would run a mile from that - obviously not passionate about coffee. In my barista training we were told you could judge a cafe within seconds of walking in by the smell, sounds (the way the milk is being lifted, the sounds of the grinder), and sight. I can and do reverse out of cafe if I pick up any warning signs. Not hearing a grinder is right up there.

Have you ever had a coffee in France where they grind coffee beans and store them in a jar and then don't grind any more until the (large) jar is empty. Stale robusta :emot-bang:

Have you ever had a coffee in France where they grind coffee beans and store them in a jar and then don't grind any more until the (large) jar is empty. Stale robusta :emot-bang:

I think France has been surpassed now as the benchmark for coffee - Sacre Bleu

My dad once sat in a French Cafe and ordered a Latte - feeling very smug

.. until they came back with a glass of hot milk   :oops:

Elixir Narciso blend, I bought a pack because I was in the area.  (Elixir are a Brisbane roaster based at Stafford).

Nothing spectacular tbh.....a bit bland in fact.  Above average but nothing I can rave about.

Alan's Tarrazu Miel is one of my favourite coffees. It's the most 'coffee' tasting of coffees.

Guest JohnA

just ordered 6 kilos of  costa rica RFA green bean to try.

look forward to roasting them and trying them out

We have finally purchased an espresso machine, nothing too fancy just a Sunbeam twin pump, twin thermoblock job.

I'm new to good coffee, being an instant guy for over 50 years.

We were given a kilo of beans with the machine, bitter a all hell, in the bin they went.

Bought some Beans from the supermarket, 'Oro', but can't remember who markets them, not bad but still lacking.

Was given some 'Honduras San Marcos' from Coffee Barun, very nice, still on these atm.

I was also given some beans roasted by a work mate, Ceja de Selva AAA from Peru.  Still to try these, but I think that may happen today as it's been a week since they were roasted.

just ordered 6 kilos of  costa rica RFA green bean to try.

look forward to roasting them and trying them out

What roaster do you have John? I'm in the market for one myself and open to suggestions.

Guest JohnA

What roaster do you have John? I'm in the market for one myself and open to suggestions.

Jake, i have the behmor 1600+

perfect for the home roaster only doing small batches. Great product and great support from the local distributor

can also have it with temperature data logger if so desired and get it pre installed instead of doing it yourself.

I do my roasting in the garage and do 400g batches (which is the max).

Having 5 different profiles pre programmed is great as you learn, then as you get to know your green beans, you can also go full manual control through the entire roast.

At the price of green beans compared to roasted, it pays itself off in no time

perfect for the home roaster only doing small batches. Great product and great support from the local distributor

can also have it with temperature data logger if so desired and get it pre installed instead of doing it yourself.

Having 5 different profiles pre programmed is great as you learn, then as you get to know your green beans, you can also go full manual control through the entire roast.

That was top of my list already, will pull the pin this week. :)

Guest JohnA

yea just do it mate, mine has been put through its paces for around a year and a half now and no dramas at all..

just follow the warning instructions (and there are lots of them), clean it often or more then recommended and you should have no issues with it.

But if you do, as some have, a quick email and they will have you up and running again in no time, and are easy to work on on your own if need be

I do roaster installs for many of the major roaster makers from around the world every week here In Oz from little 0.5 to 225 kg/hr machines and the one thing I can say for sure is to re-iterate and underline JohnA's comments about cleaning, cleaning all the pipes, fans, flues and barrel even regularly is a must. Why? Because husks from the beans known as Chaff or dust carries all the way through to the end of the pipeline and the oils from the roasted beans condense in the cooler parts of machines. When over time this accumulation or mix gets a glowing cinder attached to it then the rapidly growing fire that ensues is scary and hard to put out and fight. Here In Vic we're required to install as law fixed water sprayer into the top of the cyclones with a manual valve and sign to help those in a panic. Not that that is always turned on anyway, the amount of smoke produced and the red glow of the over heated chimney are warnings one cannot easily fix once they have started. So be warned. I could relate many stories of the aftermath of coffee roaster fires I've had to repair but that's for another thread.

Keep a bucket of water nearby if you can as a minimum.

Happy to answer questions or offer advice on this, PM me if you want.

Edited by agelessgoodguy

I always clean my grinder between fills, I only fill enough for about 5 to 10 cups.

i know you guys are on a totally different level to me, but I'm learning and may get to roast my beans one day.

Edited by Batty

Batty

simply coffee on Rundle st at Kent Town is a good option if you want to try some beans.  There might be others near you, but Simply Coffee has supplied me for over 5 years.

Easy to chat to, wide selection of beans, they make coffees as well as roast and grind.  So, ask some questions, try a couple of coffees and then buy some beans that have been roasted in the last 48 hours.  They close at 2pm on a Saturday, not open Sundays.

Benje

PS, clean equipment, warm cups (especially in winter) and the right choice of milk are all important.  If you haven't got one yet, get a milk thermometer.  As a beginner, you'll appreciate it, and t will help to provide a coffee at the right temperature without boiling the milk (a no-no).

Guest JohnA

Batty

simply coffee on Rundle st at Kent Town is a good option if you want to try some beans.  There might be others near you, but Simply Coffee has supplied me for over 5 years.

Easy to chat to, wide selection of beans, they make coffees as well as roast and grind.  So, ask some questions, try a couple of coffees and then buy some beans that have been roasted in the last 48 hours.  They close at 2pm on a Saturday, not open Sundays.

Benje

PS, clean equipment, warm cups (especially in winter) and the right choice of milk are all important.  If you haven't got one yet, get a milk thermometer.  As a beginner, you'll appreciate it, and t will help to provide a coffee at the right temperature without boiling the milk (a no-no).

i find the palm of my hand to be the best thermometer.

Did purchase one as a beginner, but never did use it, as i never had an issue with the palm of my hand

Did purchase one as a beginner, but never did use it, as i never had an issue with the palm of my hand

Same, same!

@@JohnA do you see any need for the datalogger?

Was going to buy a thermometer but initially had these>>>TempTags  and they worked well(I thought) but then I read a series of seperate articles from barristas where they said the three second rule applies when texturing your milk. Thumb and forefingers at the top of the jug below the spout and when your pinkies pull away after an approx' three seconds your milk is done.  Works for me apart from the odd cold morning where it feels nice to get the fingers hot...

But in all seriousness it seems to work, bunch of fingers just touching tapping away will tell you.

Mind you those TempTags work really well too.

Thanks guys

Guest JohnA

@@JohnA do you see any need for the datalogger?

@@Jake no, i never bothered with it, but if you want absolute control and to replicate a past roast 100% then id say they would be worthwhile.

they can be added at a later date, just that you will have to do the work yourself, Not a huge job from what i have seen

Coffeesnobs buyer here too. I've been buying the "mystery bag" (4 x 250g) lately and enjoying trying all the varieties.  I often need to tweak the grind between each variety but it's only a minor inconvenience.  I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and i feel like having many smaller (sealed) bags helps to keep them fresh through the month compared to larger (open) bags.

I did buy green beans and roasted with the pop-corn machine method for a little while but decided to leave it to the experts (go back to buying roasted) until I can afford the Behmor  :)

Congrats on the Sunbeam twin thermoblock Batty.  It will make excellent coffee, and probably drive you mad on more than a handful of occasions.  But don't worry, all part of the fun.  If it's the EM6910 or even the EM7000 that surpassed it, Sunbeam've sold that many there are tons of spare parts readily available.

Think it might be time to update my grinder.  I've had the EMO480 for a good 6 years and clean it regularly.  Reminds me of a tractor in many ways, just keeps plodding along doing what it's supposed to.  The shots are fairly consistent but I'm sure I could step them up a level.

Compak K3 perhaps? Don't want to spend huge amounts of $$, angry wife boss = angry life :(

Keeping a fingertip on the jug seems to be the best thermometer for me at the moment. Really enjoying the coffee.

i declare an interest in coffee beans. I do some roasting at Cirelli Coffee Roasting on Saturdays and the roastery is open to the public so if any SNAers, particularly Adelaide based ones are interested drop in between 10-2 on a saturday or drop me a line.  Great beans from around the world including some Aussie grown Pacamara.