Sign in to follow this  
mikizee

The coffee bean thread

Hi all,

I've just got a Rancilio Silvia and ordered my first delivery of roasted beans from Coffee Snobs. I was going to go with the 'expresso wow' after the comments on here, but in the end opted for the mystery bag which has 4 or 5 different 250g bags in it. Adds to the excitement at this time of year I guess, to see what the coffee santa will bring, although I am hoping there might be a bag of the wow in there too.

Cheers, I am enjoying a good coffee thread, just getting into the whole coffee thing but loving it :)

Mark

They are a great machine Cookster. Just make sure you warm it up before use. I usually find about 40mins does the trick.

Am playing with an SO Nicaraguan ATM and liking it.

A bit softer than what I usually drink but I do like its chocolatey character.

Hi all,

I've just got a Rancilio Silvia ……...

Mark

as a long term owner of one, please PiD it if not already - will take your consistency to another level, as will weighing the beans for dosing each shot

as a long term owner of one, please PiD it if not already - will take your consistency to another level, as will weighing the beans for dosing each shot

told you I was new to this, what is PID?

cheers

cheers

In simple terms a PID is digital temperature control

This includes auto and manual control/adjustment of a set temperature band

cheers

PID stands for proportional integral derivative, its a fancy term for an accurate temperature controller. The 3 essential variables that need controlling on the machine are pressure and water temperature and volume, in the grinder it's bean freshness, grind and grind dose. The PID controls the water temperature, on higher end machines its possible to control pressure and pressure profiles across the cycle. You can control grind dose either volumetrically (like my Versalab grinder) or more accurately by weight with some simple digital scales. You can control brew volume by either volume or by using the scales to weigh the cup as coffee is added. Simple really :thumb:

Yuletide blend from talk coffee. Easier to make Christmas trees with.

4bbaae7d638496084cd44104a52c7264.jpg

thanks folks, I have lots of reading to do.

My beans arrived and I have a great selection of 250g bags to works my way through, but I have a quick question for you all.

The beans have all been delivered if the foil type bags which appear to be vacuum sealed, and they smell lovely so I am not sure of the bagging process which allows them  to stay as fresh roasted beans.

How long will the beans generally stay good 'un-opened' in these type of bags (from coffee snobs) - ordered one day, delivered the next by the way !!

cheers

Mark

thanks folks, I have lots of reading to do.

My beans arrived and I have a great selection of 250g bags to works my way through, but I have a quick question for you all.

The beans have all been delivered if the foil type bags which appear to be vacuum sealed, and they smell lovely so I am not sure of the bagging process which allows them  to stay as fresh roasted beans.

How long will the beans generally stay good 'un-opened' in these type of bags (from coffee snobs) - ordered one day, delivered the next by the way !!

cheers

Mark

Roasted beans should be considered as fresh food and will deteriorate quickly

The sweet spot for drinking after the day of roasting is 7 to 21 days

The beans are in a bag that has a one way valve and will degas continuously

I believe that the maximum you will get out of them is 4 to 6 weeks

And refrigeration will not help

Thanks Full Range,

Haha I have a fair bit of coffee drinking to do then in the next few weeks as I bought 8x 250g bags :)

for interest the beans I have are:

Sarah's Expresso

Fiefy's Barista Blend

Brazil Premium Bourbon (x2)

Colombian Volcan Galeras

Tanzania Kyaurinde Peaberry

India Elephant Hills AA

Ethiopian Harrar Longberry

I figure that all of these can be used to make Latte or just as expresso short blacks, but do let me know if some are more suited to shots rather than latte. I am just working my way through tasting notes, so that I can order these in tastes from strong to medium and flavour, but the CS forum isn't that easy to navigate for newbies.

Edited by cookster

Just dropped a bundle at Talk Coffee this morning on some small lot beans to keep me happy over the holiday period. 1/2kg of El Salvador Salaverria "Supersonic", and 1/2kg of Yemen Matari Al-Hamdani. Just roasted yesterday, so will let them degas for a week while I finish the Yuletide blend. 

Cookster - try your beans as a shot first, then with milk. You will find most blends work well with milk, but some single origins (which are often roasted lighter) won't. I would pick the Ethiopian as a coffee that's better drunk just as a shot, but depends on a number of factors.

Roasted beans should be considered as fresh food and will deteriorate quickly

The sweet spot for drinking after the day of roasting is 7 to 21 days

The beans are in a bag that has a one way valve and will degas continuously

I believe that the maximum you will get out of them is 4 to 6 weeks

And refrigeration will not help

Are these valved bags the best way to store beans? I usually decant my Coffeehit Ultimate blend beans into a plastic container with a sealed lid like preserving jars. Beans are then stored in the dark of the pantry. We get about 2 weeks out of a 500gram bag

I store unopened valved bags inside a plastic sealed container in the freezer. I have a vacuum jar to store opened beans inside a dark cupboard.

Refrigeration and freezing is controversial, I've found it useful though and I think that beans do last longer IMHO. The older the beans the finer you need to grind though.

Are these valved bags the best way to store beans? I usually decant my Coffeehit Ultimate blend beans into a plastic container with a sealed lid like preserving jars. Beans are then stored in the dark of the pantry. We get about 2 weeks out of a 500gram bag

Best ways to store and use your roasted coffee beans are

1) Any container that has a one way valve is suitable one can use the coffee bags or specialy made for coffee one way valve canisters

The beans degas and that gas needs to be expelled but not allow normal air to enter

2) Only use the amount of beans as required for that brewing session and keep the beans in the one way valve container not in the hopper of the grinder

3) Coffee beans deteriorate quicker in normal atmosphere and absorb humidity - so good but correct storage is essential

And that is about it - not to hard

Freezing roasted beans is ok, BUT you MUST allow them to reach room temp before using, and try to keep them as dry as possible while they warm up so as not condense the moisture in the air. In other words, avoid putting cold sweaty beans through your grinder.

I tried the Lavazza Intense black pack beans. It is! Intense. Gets the heart a-pumping.

Freezing roasted beans is ok, BUT you MUST allow them to reach room temp before using, and try to keep them as dry as possible while they warm up so as not condense the moisture in the air. In other words, avoid putting cold sweaty beans through your grinder.

beans thaw very quickly, a few minutes to reach room temperature at most

A bag of beans I had recently recommend 'DO NOT FREEZE'

I've been freezing them for years with no noticeable effects

IMO frozen is better than stale--so if you want to keep some beans more that 4 weeks, freeze them. Only defrost what you need. Once frozen they go stale quickly.

Fresh is better than frozen. Two weeks in dark place in a one-way valve bag is better than two weeks in the freezer.

Fridging makes the flavour "dumb" as the proportion of volatile oils that give fresh coffee its flavour changes.

Freshly roasted coffee gives off carbon dioxide for about a week (sometimes longer) and therefore brick-pack supermarket beans have to be pre-staled to stay packed!

Best bet--buy fresh, drink fresh.

Greg

IMO frozen is better than stale--so if you want to keep some beans more that 4 weeks, freeze them. Only defrost what you need. Once frozen they go stale quickly.

Fresh is better than frozen. Two weeks in dark place in a one-way valve bag is better than two weeks in the freezer.

Fridging makes the flavour "dumb" as the proportion of volatile oils that give fresh coffee its flavour changes.

Freshly roasted coffee gives off carbon dioxide for about a week (sometimes longer) and therefore brick-pack supermarket beans have to be pre-staled to stay packed!

Best bet--buy fresh, drink fresh.

Greg

I remember when you told me about the carbon dioxide thing. I was buying those brick ground coffee packs at the time. Switched to supermarket whole beans, then to locally roasted beans and haven't looked back. A while ago I was whinging to a friend I was having to resort to supermarket beans as I hadn't had time to visit my roaster, and she just rolled her eyes and called me precious. 

Not long after, I bought her a pack of beans from Simply Coffee and she was hooked too. Not long after that, she was complaining to ME about having to resort to using supermarket beans, and how I had ruined her tastebuds. I prefer 'enlightened'. 

The carbon dioxide getting released from freshly ground beans really is no joke. I bought some ground coffee in a one way valve bag from Simply Coffee for my dad as he doesn't have a grinder, and had the bag sitting on my passenger seat during the arvo. Periodically the bag would 'fart', releasing the lovely smell of coffee into my car. The bag did this for almost a day before it settled down. 

No joke if you stick your nose in a one day post roast bag of beans for a deep sniff......only ever done it once. Ouch!!!

No joke if you stick your nose in a one day post roast bag of beans for a deep sniff......only ever done it once. Ouch!!!

ahhh... so how long does one need to snort & what type of grind?  I wish Simply Coffee would get their site up & running so I cam order some from the Hunter Valley. Can someone please tell them to hurry up for me.

I keep my beans in the fridge but having said that, they sit in the grinder then for a few weeks at room temp.