Dear All those whom have a Marantz Cd 50, I thought I would share some pics for your reference in case you are thinking of modifying it.

The Player has had the following

Audio GD discrete op amps (Earth Variety)

Audio GD clock with discrete power stage

Jantzen Caps(replaced the Obligato's) output capacitors

seperate power supply to the clock(bit of over kill but better to be safe)

No Oversampling mod re- Lukas Fikkus-Lampizator style.

re cap of TDA1541 with metal film decoupling caps

metal film decoupling of power supply regulators

metal film decoupling of Power Filter Capacitors

bitumen lined base and cover

larger supply power caps around discrete op amps

It was certainly a challenge for a novice like me but it was definitely worth every bit of it. 

What a great sounding player, highly recommend doing it over the flat uninvolved stock unit.

regards

JP

post-104138-0-33474000-1397544165_thumb.post-104138-0-30272600-1397544179_thumb.post-104138-0-90996900-1397544194_thumb.post-104138-0-88092000-1397544207_thumb.

WIth the big film caps for either coupling in signal path bypass, sometimes it's better to stick with the appropriate voltage range then drop large B+ rated caps in (i.e 400v+). Another thing to keep in mind when replacing, bypassing or parallel signal caps is keep the path to the solder pad as short as possible. You can go further with replacing the whole PS stage with a linear regulated board to supply 5/9.5/15v+/- to the analogue output and digital stage with separate trafo's supplying the different rails, this can give a bit better separation in sound passages sometimes and reduce background noise (schottky diodes can also do the trick as well as increased capacitance for the PS filtering caps). 

Next up you can go a bit further with an SRPP output stage following some of Lukaz's examples of lampization.

Not bad for a novice. Good job. Some stained wooden cheeks would go nice with that.

Edited by DefQon

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ck971
      Item: DCS Debussy DAC v2.30 & Scarlatti Master Clock v1.00
      Price: Debussy $6,000; Scarlatti Clock $3,000
      Item Condition: Good Condition
      Reason for selling: upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash or Bank Cheque, COD Only
      Extra Info: Upgraded to latest firmware which supports DSD/128 and 24/352.8, 24/384. Sounds absolutely awesome!  I use it with a mac and audirvana and have found that the choice of software also effects the sound quality.  The clock makes a huge difference to the sound, giving it more air, better detail and making the image rock solid.  Comes with a brick of a remote control!

Pictures:

• By bruc3
      Item: Audio-GD NFB 11.28 + TCXO upgrade
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: mint condition
      Reason for selling: want to fund an OTL or hybrid amp
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:
      I impulse bought this a few days ago from another SNA'er even though deep down I wanted a tube amp, so it is up for sale again.

A really beautiful unit and to be honest kind of sad to see it go but the heart wants what the heart wants...

Comes with power cable.

Cash and local pickup only.

Discrete  DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier
      DSD , DXD support from USB
      32bit / 384K Sabre ES9028  Pro
      Amanero combo 384

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Pictures:

• By Willmax
      I've had my Yamaha NS1000 Ebony & Monitors for a few months and though I thoroughly enjoy their sound signature, I do tend to prefer the High & Mid Levels dialled back a bit. Bass levels are very satisfying for my listening habits 95% of the time, I occasionally dial up the bass a bit for extra oomph depend on my mood. 
      I never recapped any of my speakers before, but recently after reading a few sites about the improvements in sound quality I decided to give it a go mainly due to curiosity and for comparison purposes.
      So after discussions with some more experienced members of this forum as well as Nigel at Speakerbug I ended up ordering the following Caps for my crossover upgrade project.
      Obviously one could spend endless amounts on expensive caps, but as this is the first time I'm attempting something like this I've decided to stick with good quality Jantzen Caps to keep things simple.
      Please bear with me as I will be trying to do this over the next few days time permitting.

• By Saxon Hall
      Item Alessi Firenze Wall Clock

Location Epping Vic 3076

Price $40

Condition Excellent

Reason for selling Too many clocks

Payment Method Cash on Pick Up

Extra Info Are you after a big plastic clock by Italian Design House Alessi?
      One that is slightly convex in shape and has exposed hands.
      That is Baby Blue in colour
      That has Roman Numerals (Why do clocks and watches use IIII instead of the technically correct IV?)
      That is 360mm Dia and that sells for $129 at David Jones
      Then look no further because you can have my one for far less than that
      ( Dancing African Ladies, Flying Ducks, Smurfs, Bartman, Barney Rubble and Penguin not included)
      The exposed hands look like they would get easily damaged in transit without the original packaging , so this would have to be pick up only
      http://shop.davidjones.com.au/djs/en/davidjones/firenze-wall-clock-blue?cm_vc=prodpg1