1.            Gotta Budget? Stick to it!

2.            Hi-Fi is an industry, like pharmaceuticals, car manufacturers, they have a bottom line, they have margins, competition and a need for profit, they know you have a hobby, they know you are “passionate”, they are not doing you a favour, they are trying to separate you from your hard earned.

3.            Hi-Fi manufacturers are supported by disparate ancillary markets, these ancillary markets are very interested in you NOT trusting your ears and creating doubt and a sense of dissatisfaction in your judgement.

4.            You do not need to spend more than a moderate amount of money to achieve very good results even outstanding results to reproduce the wonders of recorded music in your domestic space, but remember Edison told the world the same thing when he introduced the Phonograph.

5.            Gotta Budget? Stick to it.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ian Stuart said:

Agree with you Keith.  In the end it's your listening pleasure.  I was referring to my Consonance Cyber 880i with KT150 valves.  It's a bit limited to make a sweeping statement.  Although Greg Osborne from Osborne Speakers highly recommends them in the price bracket.

I've got another friend who swears by solid state amps as being more pure in their reproduction.

One thing I've learnt about hifi's and cars, is that, once you've found something you are happy with, stick with it.  Enjoy.  Perfection can be tortuous.

Ian

No worries, Ian, although I think perfection is impossible, but feel free to keep chasing it!;) Amplifiers should amplify, regardless of whether they're tube or SS and they both have their pros and cons. It would be a mistake though if you based your purchase purely on the fact that it was either tube or SS.

I think you might have been trying to advise us to trust our ears and I think that is good advice and it should be applied to not only amplifiers, but loudspeakers and source equipment as well.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Spend time appreciating music more and actually listening. This goes for movies aswell, it's been out of my reach until recently to have a space to do this in a good fidelity. I honestly feel a good stereo setup is underrated in this day and age.

Above all else, it's about YOUR enjoyment and YOURS only. So be careful with taking advice from others. (Me included)😉

Secondly, learn to set up your system to get the best out of it in your room. If you don't, you'll be on the buy / sell marry go round forever. Jim Smith's 'Get Better Sound' is a good start. You'll be amazed by how much better even a simple system can sound once setup properly.

If you have a lot of badly recorded tunes, don't be put off by an amp that has Bass and Treble adjustment. It's better to enjoy a crap recording by making it listenable than not to listen to it at all.

Example: Bruce Springsteen's  'Live 1975-1985'. It's great music but it needs more bass. At least 3 dB.

I have quite a few ideas but here are the main things I would tell myself starting out 

- If you fall in love with a system in a shop and have to have that sound, buy every last component to match it perfectly. Right down to the interconnects, speaker cable, streaming subscription etc. Try not to compromise on one component because it won't be the same. 

- Don't get too caught up in the specs, if it sounds amazing, just let it sound amazing! Who cares how many watts the amp is etc. 

- Audio visual installers have heard a lot of stuff, if you are looking for advice, ask what he would have in his 

house within your budget. Ive installed a lot of equipment over the years and every now and then you hear something that just sings and it sticks with you. Ive got a mental list of gear id love to have in my house from these experiences

More power makes your system sound better at LOW VOLUMES, it doesn't necessarily make it go louder.

Always keep this in the back of your mind.