Welcome to the newcomers here! With almost 150,000 members Stereonet (SNA) has many keen minds able to proffer advice.  This thread differs from the other advice threads in that we ask for just one post per member.  What advice would you have liked to hear when you were starting your audio journey? What advice do you give now, when people learn this is your hobby or passion? One post, one soundbite, one pearl per person please.

I'll kick it off ;)

150k members is an amazing accomplishment that deserves first mention!

As for advice ....

Teach yourself to listen, to both the music AND people who know more than you. It'll save you a lot of money & time (if only someone had said it to me 30 years ago).

Cheers

'Nutz

"Listener fatigue" isn't complex and it's not a mystery.  It's just the diffference between thinking "I think I'll put some more music on" or "I think I'll go off and doing something else now."  I suppose this could also be called 'engagement'. Anyway when it's several hours later and you're still happily engaged then the gear that you're listening to probably isn't fatiguing.

if starting out in audio. I would just say one thing. Trust your ears :) while will come across a lot of reviews, peoples opinion etc...read them with interest and treat them as a heads up. but if have the opportunity demo demo demo...try get a chance to experience for your self and come to your very own conclusions. If making a buying decision it is your very own opinion that matters the most :)

I'd suggest newcomers to StereoNET at least, introduce themselves well, and do their best to get along to other members GTG's (Get Together's). Sharing the hobby and being able to talk about it with others is a great way of making new friends and learning from them.

Find GTGs in your state here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/forum/62-stereonet-get-togethers-gtgs-events/

When I started out in audiophilia I was very "destination" focused. I wanted my music a certain way and set out to achieve that. Now I believe the adage that the journey is more important than the destination. In other words, enjoy the ride, learn and have fun each step of the way.

It is wise to get spousal permission for speakers, and any amps or sources that are not black. Cables, interconnects and even black components are easier to sneak into the system without permission. And if you're busted, claim it's just "on loan for demonstration". 

And if you're busted, claim it's just "on loan for demonstration". 

My favorite! :)

When setting up a system, use minimalist miked and processed music - preferably of acoustic instruments and spaces. i.e no artificiality in reverb, timbre, imaging and soundstaging.

Only then can you properly judge the true capabilities of your system.

Guest Misterioso

I wish I had discovered active studio monitors earlier. The sound quality you can get from some of them is amazing regardless of the price. Once you look at the price tag, it becomes clear they are the best buy in the audio world. Brands to look at include Adam Audio, ATC, Dynaudio, Event Electronics, Focal, Genelec, and Neumann. All of them are readily available in Australia.

It is wise to get spousal permission for speakers, and any amps or sources that are not black. Cables, interconnects and even black components are easier to sneak into the system without permission. And if you're busted, claim it's just "on loan for demonstration". 

Geez - someone else on here must be married to my wife as well. :)

My, that girl gets around!!!!

Remember the music is why we buy the gear, imo

I'll avoid advising about all the really cool stuff in digital audio, speakers, subs and integrated amps and instead go practical logistics.

Buy yourself a sack truck, save your back.

post-112981-0-50848300-1400073494.jpg

Dont be swayed by fancy brands and equipment with the name behind it. Listen to the music you love then find the sytems that makes it sound better. Don't change your music to match a system, it should be the other way around

Valves and vinyl are the only prefect couple in the world.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk