Open baffle speaker build

steve u

Just to chime in.. The TRIO15 speakers are very very nice indeed. They compare very nicely with speakers in the $10-20k range.. Soundstage is massive - as long as you have the correct room size.

I auditioned many speakers, Maggie 3.7, sonus faber, Wilson audio.. If your room is large enough, these will impress! Bass is plenty, esp if you use a dsp to correct for driver and room.

Ze'ev is a great person - so much so I invited them to the RMAF '14! If you get a chance please come listen for yourselves.

Check out my FB exploits building these speakers. I've never done a DIY project of any sort.. I just felt like I could do this. Myself and a friend cut, routed, drilled everything - it was a blast and very easy to do.

Believe me - you will not be disappointed!

FB is Thomas Sulentic - ask me any questions I'll be happy to respond.

I've also just completed a Timeless + version. Again a simply wonderful sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am interested in your comments regarding increased width using monpoles. So far I have not been able to extend the soundstage wider than each speaker, which is why I am investigating OB. Although I am using a DEQX and have a very precise sound stage, width appear to elude me.

Regards

Patrick

I was an open baffle fan for some time, but developed a taste for much sharper imaging. A stable stero image with increased width of the listening area can be achieved in monopoles with constant directivity and the image focus is much greater.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like OBs; they sound wrong to me. My suggestion to the OP is if he hasn't heard any yet, find someone who has some and spend some time listening to them first to see if the concept is worth pursuing. Then if you find you like them, I'd suggest the NaO. John Kreshovsky knows his stuff (click on the Tech studies link top right) and these will be a thoroughly thought out design.

Just my observations on the PAP speakers> the baffle is too narrow and it looks like, from the pics posted, that it puts the centre of the main driver in line with your knee. I like the baffle bracing though and it's the way I think that should be done.

• Like 2

I don't like OBs; they sound wrong to me. 

I have to agree here when talking about 'typical' OBs.        The issue with an 'OB' is they are generally wide, and have a radiation pattern which changes with frequency....   and as they have much higher driver excursion requirements, you need to use more drivers than normal .... where as typical OBs often use less drivers  (single 'full range' driver OBs for example).

OBs such as the Nao range, or Linkwitz' speakers (Orion or LX521), are designed to be physically narrow (in relation to frequency), and to avoid a radiation pattern which changes drastically with frequency.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Guys, any thoughts on these babies now?

I imagine they would be well-broken in. Am amazed at the pricing and don't know how they aren't more popular!

I posted my review here, back in June last year.

Since then, StereoNET sponsors Wyndham Audio have been appointed Aussie distributors.

I believe there is an official "launch" happening very shortly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...