Sign in to follow this  
steve u

Open baffle speaker build

I am considering building some open baffle speakers.

I have never built anything like this before and have found some kits available which supposedly supply everything for you. These are the ones,

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/cube-10-open-baffle-speakers/

I would be interested in opinions on a project like this and also opinions on options or alternatives to this product. While I am a fan of high efficiency full range speakers, I have never heard anything like this product and also would like opinions on what the end product may sound like, or where it might excel or lack in performance when in use.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve 

I've got to say, that's a great design.

Try them and let us know what you think!

(open baffles usually don't have a lot of bass, so if that's your thing, you might want to reconsider)

If you're not in a hurry to get stuck into this, I will be able to offer you comprehensive information on pureaudioproject and their offerings.
I have in transit to me as we speak, their Trio15 TB, and shortly after another model.

What I can say is Ze'ev, who you deal with when you contact them is one of the nicest, most accommodating guys I've ever come across! Certainly knowledgeable too.

I think this company is going to enjoy some great success.

That is a very interesting project ,would like to know the outcome when finished.

The drivers are all here. The brackets/feet kit has shipped from Israel, and my baffles are leaving direct from Germany this week sometime.

We've also ordered the Blue Jeans Cable speaker cables direct as per PAP's recommendation.

Looking forward to assembly. :)

Anyone got a rough pricing on these yet?

I've just fired off an email to Ze'ev to put together some indicative pricing for AU for baffles and mounting kit, and also for the passive crossover (new). You'd always be better off sourcing the drivers locally where possible, or at least the Alpha 15's.

I'll post back the answer.

i would suggest at least using Beta15a, the alpha just too muddy.

dipole15 of course the best for this :)

Hi Mark,

If it is shipping from Germany does that mean you went with the oak instead of the bamboo?

There is a fair bit of difference in price as one is in US dollars and the other in Euros.

I'm not really following the difference between Alpha and Beta and dipole???

Steve

Hi Mark,

If it is shipping from Germany does that mean you went with the oak instead of the bamboo?

There is a fair bit of difference in price as one is in US dollars and the other in Euros.

Steve

the alpha have much smaller magnet than the beta, hence higher qts :)

ideally above 0.6 and below 1

Edited by henry218

It's not qualified teacher status is it? I tried google and I'm none the wiser.

QES*QMS= what tha. I don't understand any of that, I was looking into these designs because I hoped it would be the easiest place to start

On the parts express site they are out of stock of the alphas now anyway. But all the other ones look similar...

google open baffle nelson pass feastrex lowther, u will find some of his experiment.

i used both, preferred beta, but honestly its just for tryout :), but it was fun

Edited by henry218

I have alpha and betas here actually (you'd be surprised at some of the DIY projects I work on that never make it to these forums!).

Another point though... there's been a habit forming lately by a few to turn every single thread into a hugely technical (advanced) DIY thread.

The OP stated "I have never built anything like this before and have found some kits available which supposedly supply everything for you." I don't think we need to "baffle" (see what I did there? :P) them with qes, qms, qts etc.

They, I assume were looking for a kit all-in-one solution. Let's do our best to stay on the topic please with simple solutions to what they are looking for. Start a new thread for more advanced open baffle designs and discussions otherwise please :)

Hi Mark,

Steve

Hi Steve, yes German Oak. A nice touch is once a customer has ordered a hardware kit, they also supply the customer with full baffle plans so you can produce them out of anything you like.

I have alpha and betas here actually (you'd be surprised at some of the DIY projects I work on that never make it to these forums!).

Another point though... there's been a habit forming lately by a few to turn every single thread into a hugely technical (advanced) DIY thread.

The OP stated "I have never built anything like this before and have found some kits available which supposedly supply everything for you." I don't think we need to "baffle" (see what I did there? :P) them with qes, qms, qts etc.

They, I assume were looking for a kit all-in-one solution. Let's do our best to stay on the topic please with simple solutions to what they are looking for. Start a new thread for more advanced open baffle designs and discussions otherwise please :)

i for one doesnt like to be too technical, but basics is necessary :).

as buying alpha and beta is not cheap for us, so i prefer to save his time and money for the beta, which is more enjoyable :P

Edited by henry218

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this