Melbourne Audio Club monthly meeting - Pure Music Group

8pm Wednesday 16th April 2014, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

Every once in a while, the gloomy clouds part and the sky begins to gently glow, flowers bloom, angels weep and audiophiles from Melbourne begin to cry with joy. The sounds of Hi Fidelity audio was playing once more at the Australian Audio & AV show in Melbourne. Audiophiles no longer had to read about THE Hi Fi show and THE esoteric gear, now they could hear and see some of the best sounding Hi Fi from around the world. One of the best sounding systems at the show, was the Pure Music Group from Melbourne.

Warwick Freemantle ,a name familiar to a number of MAC members from the 80’s, will be presenting the same audio gear that was shown at the 2013 Hi FI show. The equipment is all sourced from Europe beginning with the Gauder Akustick speakers from Germany. The innovative cabinet structure of the Berlina RC-7 speaker incorporates a horizontal rib construction. No boards are glued together but 38mm thick moulded pieces of wood are aligned, one over the other, then screwed together. In addition there are 3mm thick soft fibre ribs coated with silicone between each rib to eliminate vibrations.

The electronics partnering the speakers are from the Netherlands. Mola-Mola is a new name in the hi fi scene. They are renowned for their Class D amplifiers. Bruno Putzeys , the father of the Hypex, and the N-Core Class D amplifier modules, designs and produces the 400w Kaluga mono blocks that will power the speakers. A matching Pre- amp from the same company will feed the source via a phono stage from RCM. A Polish company that is passionate about analogue. Did I mention analogue?

The source for this month’s meeting will be a turntable manufactured in Switzerland. Thales TTT-Compact turntable and the Simplicity Tangential Pivoted arm is a match made in musical heaven. The design exudes beauty and refinement. The innovative Tone Arm design consists of two bronze anodized arm tubes, with a removable headshell. Other key design elements include a battery power supply that can run the turntable continuously for 18hrs on a singl

Edited by KenTripp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, a minor correction - the Thales is Swiss not Swedish

Thanks, fixed and I'll be sure to remind Nick of his error when I see him :)

Edit: Lost the pics during the editing process :(

Edited by KenTripp

I had a good listen to the  Gauder Akustick speakers at last years show and I was  impressed enough for them to stay in my "oldish" memory. No WAF issues either is they looked very smart'

Can't make it tonight but looking forward to some opinions and photos

pmg0.jpg

pmg1.jpg

pmg2.jpg

pmg3.jpg

pmg4.jpg

pmg5.jpg

pmg6.jpg

pmg7.jpg

pmg8.jpg

pmg9.jpg

Edit: Removed attached images and replaced them with images that are not only hosted on another site but subject to that sites copyright protection.

Edited by KenTripp

I nearly went as I was home alone. But I stayed home and just listened to tunes in peace instead.

I hope everyone that went enjoyed the night.

• Like 1

Guest JohnA

I'm disappointed that I couldn't make this event last night.

Though it does look like a meeting of 'grumpy old men' ;)

i was thinking the same thing

I nearly went as I was home alone. But I stayed home and just listened to tunes in peace instead.

I hope everyone that went enjoyed the night.

I did the same... Though coulda...shoulda...

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that I couldn't make this event last night.

Though it does look like a meeting of 'grumpy old men' ;)

Ahem - but you would have blended right in with the visual theme!

Hang on - middle aged, bearded - - - so would I  :P

Forgot about this one - mind fading, steel trap turned into a limp celery  :(

Thanks for the pictures - looks like a great turn out and no doubt some wonderful tunes: wow there were some $$$ interconnects being used - what are they 9k retail or something? Ditto teh speaker cables. I bet it sounded sublime.

Congrat's Warwick.

Edited by DrunkenRabbit

From the comments I received I think the "grumpies" enjoyed themselves despite the poker faces. I was asked if PMG accepts Seniors Card and had to admit yes, seeing as I have one myself :)

Edited by WarwickF
  • Like 2