Lenco Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Mr Thorens

On 27/06/2019 at 11:15 AM, Gryffles said:

Yes, very simple as it's identical to the old motor. Same mounts, same chassis etc

Measurements after a few hrs run in:

Speed accuracy +/- 0.01%

Wow / flutter 0.10%

Hows the dc motor performing?

5 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

I've moved on TT wise. The Lenco DC motor was good except it wasn't as stable at 45rpm as 33rpm. never did find out why 

How do you mean? How far out was stability?

6 minutes ago, awty said:

How do you mean? How far out was stability?

4 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

I mean how accurately it could maintain the speed once set. Can't remember exactly but I wasn't overly impressed

Maintaining the correct speed with a DC motor is not simple.  Hence the price of Linn's Radikal - which does an excellent job.

(Whereas an AC motor simply relies on the Hz fed to it - so if you have a re-created, constant 50Hz sine wave ... you've nailed it!  :) )

Andy

27 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

I mean how accurately it could maintain the speed once set. Can't remember exactly but I wasn't overly impressed

Thanks, just weighing up my options. Nigels speed and voltage control works well. Think I will build another to use on my L78 and Orpheus clunkers. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, awty said:

Thanks, just weighing up my options. Nigels speed and voltage control works well. Think I will build another to use on my L78 and Orpheus clunkers. 

Build a third and I'll buy it from you :)

3 hours ago, christosd said:

Build a third and I'll buy it from you :)

Sorry I cant help you with that. They arent too hard to build, plenty of people have put one together with no prior experience, lots of help on the LH forum.

Im in need of another platter, if any one has a spare they wish to sell send me a PM.

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

The guy selling the new DC motor and controller box thingy on LH, does anyone know whether that’s a speed controller as well (I.e. you wouldn’t need Nigels or any other additional boxes?) 

Yes it’s a speed controller and he supplies a DC motor and control box although his latest designs include an adaptation that lets you retain the manual speed switch, but all of the manual mechanics get removed.

I’ve been waiting a while now but Francesco had an accident and had to stop building the kits but will restart in a few weeks after a holiday. He has a long list so don’t hold your breath.

If you can build Nigel’s go ahead and do it. I don’t have the tekkas and I need 78 play back.

Finally finished and running (see Page 5 of this thread for the before images).

Plinth is an extruded polystyrene and bamboo ply sandwich, suspended on halved squash balls. Very light, but very stiff and well damped.

Tonearm is an Excel Sound Corporation ES-801 which dropped straight into the top plate with no drilling or cutting required. I will rebuild the original arm when I get the chance. The mat is bamboo ply, topped with leather. 

It's far from perfect, but I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out, and how it sounds.

Lenco.jpg

Lenco Plinth.jpeg

Lenco bottom.jpg

Edited by RDM
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Finally finished and running (see Page 5 of this thread for the before images).

Plinth is an extruded polystyrene and bamboo ply sandwich, suspended on halved squash balls. Very light, but very stiff and well damped.

Tonearm is an Excel Sound Corporation ES-801 which dropped straight into the top plate with no drilling or cutting required. I will rebuild the original arm when I get the chance. The mat is bamboo ply, topped with leather. 

It's far from perfect, but I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out, and how it sounds.

Lenco.jpg

Lenco Plinth.jpeg

Lenco bottom.jpg

Very nice job, like the clean lines.

Enjoy.

That looks nice.  

Does anyone have a spare good GL75 idler wheel? I grabbed one of the last ones that Norbert made a few years ago but I think it has developed a flat spot.  Can hear it yet but I can feel it as I run it without the Platter and a light touch of my finger on its edge.  I dont know why, but I don't like the idea of the Audiosilente Italian wheel with the Silicon tyre.  Maybe it is time to try another deck but I just like the sound of my Lenco with the Wand Tonearm so will persist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, christosd said:

That looks nice.  

Does anyone have a spare good GL75 idler wheel? I grabbed one of the last ones that Norbert made a few years ago but I think it has developed a flat spot.  Can hear it yet but I can feel it as I run it without the Platter and a light touch of my finger on its edge.  I dont know why, but I don't like the idea of the Audiosilente Italian wheel with the Silicon tyre.  Maybe it is time to try another deck but I just like the sound of my Lenco with the Wand Tonearm so will persist.

I have an idler arm with wheel and grommet. PM me if your keen

On 09/08/2020 at 3:59 PM, Bell Ringer said:

Yes it’s a speed controller and he supplies a DC motor and control box although his latest designs include an adaptation that lets you retain the manual speed switch, but all of the manual mechanics get removed.

I’ve been waiting a while now but Francesco had an accident and had to stop building the kits but will restart in a few weeks after a holiday. He has a long list so don’t hold your breath.

If you can build Nigel’s go ahead and do it. I don’t have the tekkas and I need 78 play back.

@crtexcnndrm99 Francesco posted on Lenco Heaven the other day that he will supply motors with the original conical shaft that would allow you to retain the manual speed changing. So you still use the original selector but refine speed on the DC controller..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bell Ringer said:

@crtexcnndrm99 Francesco posted on Lenco Heaven the other day that he will supply motors with the original conical shaft that would allow you to retain the manual speed changing. So you still use the original selector but refine speed on the DC controller..

Cheers, I’ve registered my interest on the Lenco Heaven thread. Sounds like a good idea. Haven’t started the build yet but it looks like the wait on the controller is considerable so that’s ok..

On 16/08/2020 at 7:06 PM, cafe latte said:

Not that bad you will be fine, not as long as my road was this was a basket case.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34547

Chris

Absolutely stunning that.

I had someone offer me an immaculate Commonwealth recently, but the three zeros at the end of the price took it out of my league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Absolutely stunning that.

I had someone offer me an immaculate Commonwealth recently, but the three zeros at the end of the price took it out of my league.

They sound amazing as good as any idler you will hear. Big change was when I made another idler wheel super silent. If you find one they are well worth spending time on.

Chris

17 hours ago, cafe latte said:

They sound amazing as good as any idler you will hear. Big change was when I made another idler wheel super silent. If you find one they are well worth spending time on.

Chris

I can buy it for a shade under 2k. How much better will it be than a properly modded Lenco is the question? I have an L75 as well as the L70 shown here, which I plan to do some work on, and that is a pretty low cost option in comparsion.