4heckssake

Jazz: Currently Spinning

On 01/10/2019 at 1:52 AM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

E.S.T - Strange Place For Snow 

images - 2019-10-01T022012.350.jpeg

A very good Swedish jazz trio, but alas no more since the sad death of Esbjorn Svensson while scuba diving back in 2008.

I have two of their albums, Viaticum and Tuesday Wonderland.

Guest Misterioso

A new Art Pepper CD box -brilliant!

Capture.JPG.94139934036f37e44ee40a8fc7aefdec.JPG

The Rosenberg Trio - Caravan

R-3936857-1440334554-2487.jpeg.jpg

I only discovered these guys yesterday. Was in Big Star Records (first time in a long while), and saw they had a lot of 2nd hand CDs for sale priced at $2 (sitting in trays underneath their main displays). Was a real mixed bag of stuff, and I only picked up a couple of titles, including this one.

What grabbed my attention was the mention of Stephane Grappelli and Jan Akkerman on the cover, and for $2 I figured I couldn't miss. Played it last night, and I was very impressed. These guys are a Dutch trio consisting of two brothers and a cousin, playing lead and rhythm guitars plus acoustic bass, and are heavily influenced by the music of Django Reinhardt.

This is a 1994 recording, with Stephane Grappelli joining them on 5 tracks, and Jan Akkerman on 2 tracks. The other musician, Frits Landesbergen, plays vibraphone on 2 tracks. The standard of playing from all concerned is simply brilliant, their timing is excellent and there is a wonderful sense of rhythm throughout. Recording quality is very good too. It was a joy to listen to this, and I'm sure it will get a lot more plays.

I've already started hunting for some of their other recordings. Apparently they have released around 26 albums, although most seem to be a bit hard to get, and have the usual silly prices on amazon. I have already put in an order for their 2008 CD 'Tribute To Stephane Grappelli' recorded with Dutch violinist Tim Kliphuis (albeit a 2nd hand copy, ordered from 'World Of Books')

Here is a clip from that album. Check out the rhythm and timing in this. Almost sounds like it is gradually speeding up, but I suspect that is just an auditory illusion. Wonderful stuff.

1 hour ago, emesbee said:

The Rosenberg Trio - Caravan

R-3936857-1440334554-2487.jpeg.jpg

I only discovered these guys yesterday. Was in Big Star Records (first time in a long while), and saw they had a lot of 2nd hand CDs for sale priced at $2 (sitting in trays underneath their main displays). Was a real mixed bag of stuff, and I only picked up a couple of titles, including this one.

What grabbed my attention was the mention of Stephane Grappelli and Jan Akkerman on the cover, and for $2 I figured I couldn't miss. Played it last night, and I was very impressed. These guys are a Dutch trio consisting of two brothers and a cousin, playing lead and rhythm guitars plus acoustic bass, and are heavily influenced by the music of Django Reinhardt.

This is a 1994 recording, with Stephane Grappelli joining them on 5 tracks, and Jan Akkerman on 2 tracks. The other musician, Frits Landesbergen, plays vibraphone on 2 tracks. The standard of playing from all concerned is simply brilliant, their timing is excellent and there is a wonderful sense of rhythm throughout. Recording quality is very good too. It was a joy to listen to this, and I'm sure it will get a lot more plays.

I've already started hunting for some of their other recordings. Apparently they have released around 26 albums, although most seem to be a bit hard to get, and have the usual silly prices on amazon. I have already put in an order for their 2008 CD 'Tribute To Stephane Grappelli' recorded with Dutch violinist Tim Kliphuis (albeit a 2nd hand copy, ordered from 'World Of Books')

Here is a clip from that album. Check out the rhythm and timing in this. Almost sounds like it is gradually speeding up, but I suspect that is just an auditory illusion. Wonderful stuff.

I have this one which I picked up for a fiver at Title in Surry Hills some years ago. On the Enja label, the album features Bireli Lagrene as a special guest and also comes with a DVD which I have yet to watch.

images (60).jpeg

Guest Misterioso
16 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Ran Blake - That Certain Feeling

I need to get this one. Do you have "A Memory of Vienna" from Ran Blake and Anthony Braxton on hathut? It is stunning. They met in the studio and spontaneously recorded this album. One of my two favourite hathut recordings.