Jazz: Currently Spinning

_20200915_123917.thumb.JPG.a5511c5b807b34c6cb544bd941780b5b.JPG

Johnny Griffin - A Blowin' Session (1957 - CD) 

The title pretty well sums it up. Griffin plus Lee Morgan on trumpet and Coltrane and Hank Mobley on additional tenors. Rhythm section of Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Art Blakey. Blue Note sure had some talent on the roster. 

• Like 4

EEBE8E15-D8AE-43BD-8E71-545A30D79D2C.thumb.jpeg.3fdcf550cee9d7e4093a61db6be01636.jpeg

Lockdown has really started to get to me and I don’t mind saying I’ve been struggling a bit to maintain my mood. Happily, over the last 24 hours I’ve taken delivery of three very nice records and some precision chi-fi to get me through the rest of “these difficult times”

Harmony sounds spectacular and I’m now wondering if I should prioritise a new deck over a new DAC, which is what I had initially planned for the next upgrade ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

Lockdown has really started to get to me and I don’t mind saying I’ve been struggling a bit to maintain my mood. Happily, over the last 24 hours I’ve taken delivery of three very nice records and some precision chi-fi to get me through the rest of “these difficult times”

Harmony sounds spectacular and I’m now wondering if I should prioritise a new deck over a new DAC, which is what I had initially planned for the next upgrade ?

An attractive selection.  So sorry to hear that you are bumping up against the boundaries of your equanimity, though totally explicable in such trying circumstances.  I've certainly found Godspeed )and Silver Mt Zion) can neatly achieve consonance with the feelings of the times (though I am not in Vic so can't speak to depth of that feeling), but I have found that it needs to be leavened by music from a less dark place at intervals!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

An attractive selection.  So sorry to hear that you are bumping up against the boundaries of your equanimity, though totally explicable in such trying circumstances.  I've certainly found Godspeed )and Silver Mt Zion) can neatly achieve consonance with the feelings of the times (though I am not in Vic so can't speak to depth of that feeling), but I have found that it needs to be leavened by music from a less dark place at intervals!

Thanks. I threw GYBE on last night and was promptly told to turn That Horrid Repetitive Sh*t off as I’m not the only one in the house reaching the ends of tethers. I haven’t been posting as much in the CS threads but I have been exploring and very much enjoying a bit of Winged Victory For The Sullen which I think I have you to thank for, plus getting back into some heavier rock/grunge stuff, which I haven’t done for a while.

Looking forward to revisiting favourites with the new amp too. Last night I ended up just picking through tracks in my library as they caught my attention and getting a feel for what the amp can do. That was pretty enjoyable :) 

• Like 2