Jazz: Currently Spinning

20AC8C00-CCF1-4C87-93B2-0F5E21D47C82.jpeg.dcbb152b4257ccb004944d9e68ac424c.jpeg

classics direct closed down and for a few days were sending out one of a few different CDs for nothin, nil, zip, zilch, nada and I jumped on this

I used to think of Grabowsky as the piano player on that idiot Vizard’s dumb tonight show and then for years I didn’t think of him at all until a mate invited me to his 50th birthday gig at Bennett’s Lane. He had a bunch of truly amazing local musicians with him and Megan Washington up front and holy hell, he played the sh!t out of that piano. 

this is a collection of a few covers and a bunch of surprisingly good originals. I’d say you should get a copy from classics direct to listen to but you can’t because they’re closed.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

used to think of Grabowsky as the piano player on that idiot Vizard’s dumb tonight show

Same here, he is seriously overlooked / underrated, he is first rate from his recordings, I would definitely go to see him live, when this wretched COIVD-19 gets snuffed -hopefully it will... 

• Like 3

On 19/06/2020 at 11:16 PM, t_mike said:

Just a heads up to all the jazzophiles on SNA. The Village Vanguard will be introducing a series of live streams of gigs at the VV. In light of covid-19, and the fact that both the musicians and the jazz clubs still need to earn a living, tickets to these acts will be available from the VV website, for viewing live in the comfort of your own home. The current offering is Vijay Iyer, with more booked in for upcoming days. Register with their website for mail updates and enjoy the jazz, while supporting the artists and venues that are their lifeblood.

Our live-streaming series continues this weekend with the acclaimed pianist and composer, Vijay Iyer. He's joined by Nick Dunston on bass, and Jeremy Dutton on drums. Two unique performances presented live and direct from the Vanguard stage.

TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW

I've just updated the next three acts playing at the VV on my post in the live gigs forum. Joe Lovano is looking like a stand out, but I'm sure all the music will be first class. 

• Like 2

It's not really spinning being digital files, but I'm currently listening to this DSD256 recording from 2xHD
2XHDRE1106.jpg

I will be experiencing vinyl soon, so I guess I'll know how close DSD really gets.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

A new one's just been released.

images - 2020-06-27T171530.600.jpeg

Yes, I have noticed that, and I am trying to be good (which probably denotes I am misguided in my definition of that word). 

How is it?

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Yes, I have noticed that, and I am trying to be good (which probably denotes I am misguided in my definition of that word). 

How is it?

self-care
/sɛlfˈkɛː/

noun

1. the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one's own health.
    "autonomy in self-care and insulin administration"
    • the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
      "expressing oneself is an essential form of self-care"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

How is it?

I haven't heard it, Grant. I got a notification from ECM the  other day informing me of the release.

3 hours ago, RankStranger said:
self-care
/sɛlfˈkɛː/

noun

• the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.

No examples which explicitly reference music purchases?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

No examples which explicitly reference music purchases?

self-care
/sɛlfˈkɛː/

noun

BD60CB43-C36D-4416-AEB8-BE2631631C4E.thumb.jpeg.e7c5552c9af860c4ca42df5c4ab576de.jpeg

found one.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3