• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbuzzardstubble

• soundfan

• Dilettanteque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Onto one of my favs Miles Davis- kind of blue 45rpm Mobile Fidelity box set of 2 x LPs release So smooth... Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Kicking off a weekend of tunes with some Miles. Bags Groove.

Bill Evans - Conversations with Myself  Miles Davis - Blue Moods.   When ever I  listen to jazz from the mid 50s - 60s it takes me back to happy times of my early childhood. My mother r

Thought I'd post this here as it will be of interest to some. Village Vanguard stream. Please note that times indicated are New York City. 

FRIDAY + SATURDAY: KENNY BARRON TRIO

Kenny Barron returns to the Vanguard stage this Friday and Saturday at 9 PM EDT; accompanying him will be Kiyoshi Kitagawa on bass and Johnathan Blake on drums. Named “one of the top jazz pianists in the world” by the Los Angeles Times, Kenny is a master in performance and composition who draws from mainstream jazz piano traditions, yet uses bebop as the root. 

Each show lasts approximately 75 minutes; tickets are $10. Each performance will be available for purchase on-demand shortly after the set ends.

BUY TICKETS
  • Like 3

Also this weekend,  the Blue Note has offerings, Phony Ppl and Marcus Strickland. 

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 2

Bonjintan, Dental Kafka

Akita Sakata, sax clarinet voice 

Jim O'rourke, contrabass 

Giovsnni Di Domenico, piano, Hohner pianet 

Tatsuhisa Yamamoto, drums, perc

IMG_20200925_223323.thumb.jpg.a3b373b61f99962c4b3da816139632ae.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

As in one of these? (Sorry - new to jazz, legit question!!!).

3BA72A68-B474-49E1-9175-40542B10B6A6.jpeg

Contrabass = double bass. Is that what you were asking about? 

6 minutes ago, Soundscape said:

Contrabass = double bass. Is that what you were asking about? 

Yup - but isn’t a double bass the giant violin the bass guitar aims to replicate?

Doesn’t “contrabass” translate to “anti-bass” - as in a soprano? That’s the Latin anyway...

Edited by Billy Shears
1 minute ago, Billy Shears said:

Yup - but isn’t a double bass the giant violin the bass guitar aims to replicate?

Kind of, the double bass is the largest and lowest tuned stringed acoustic instrument. Bass guitar is just that, a bass version of a guitar playing in the same register as a double bass depending on how it's tuned of course. Contrabass is another common name for double bass, but it can refer to other instruments working in the same register. It's all a bit grey man. Yup

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Soundscape said:

Kind of, the double bass is the largest and lowest tuned stringed acoustic instrument. Bass guitar is just that, a bass version of a guitar playing in the same register as a double bass depending on how it's tuned of course. Contrabass is another common name for double bass, but it can refer to other instruments working in the same register. It's all a bit grey man. Yup

So where does the octobass fall in... and why does the ‘anti bass’ actually go lower?

Edited by Billy Shears

I recently acquired a number of new and secondhand jazz albums and am looking forward to listening to them.  

I have given this album 2 spins and it is brilliant. The jazz is in a style I enjoy, the pressing is of exceptional sonic quality, the live recording has just the right amount of crowd involvement and atmospherics and to boot the liner notes are a hoot. Very highly recommended. 

PS after purchasing I read a glowing write up (of the 2 LP 45 rpm version) in the current edition of Stereophile, a great magazine, posted here with acknowledgement to the author and publishers.

The Bill Evans Trio, Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival

774ED72D-6AC1-4228-8834-7665FA9F1AA7.jpeg

F44138FE-685D-441A-910C-C3C9034DDE6A.jpeg

FEEB602D-16AC-450B-94EC-B01B3E05DD1A.png

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Mendes said:

Dave....

EDD4F255-060F-4659-8163-2C1A7668E692.jpeg

This is my version of it.

Cognac corks are more useful for they not only are easier to deploy and remove, but also serve as a reminder of the money (well) spent.

Have to get a bigger bag though.

CD also is easier to deploy then vinyl 😉

And cheaper to buy now too which is a bonus.

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.7055f331cd4c783e297429619d564f9a.JPG

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

I need a ‘definitive’ version - any recommendations? The AP was crap...

Picked up the Vinyl Lovers European DMM version a couple of years ago from Amazon, excellent sq and quiet also, (not the picture disc one).

https://www.discogs.com/The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out/release/4391603

• Like 2