4heckssake

Jazz: Currently Spinning

@@soundfan , going by the quality and frequency of your postings, I had this image that you listened to music as a full time day-job - paid to spend time with your records, clean them ultrasonically, research and buy more music, offer up links to help other access new music from emerging jazz artists, and foster the development of music through linking to bandcamp and suggesting buying music from them!  Hearing that you have a regular job to get back to shatters the dream for me.

I suppose similarly, there are whole generations of kids out there thinking they can all be computer game developers when they grow up and similarly,  I thought I could 'hifi' my way through latter life sustainably. Back to work for me now too.

No mate, I'm just a regular guy with a huge love of music, and play it whenever the opportunity arises.  :)  Like you all here, just like to share what I have been listening too. I spend more time finding and listening to "new" music than I do playing the vinyl or cd's that I do own. And if something really floats my boat I usually purchase it. 

Although vinyl is still easily my favourite source, I'm not anal about the format these days, and have no hesitation about buying a CD, or downloading music and burning a hard copy. In the end it's the music that counts. To me anyway.

There is a post I made a couple of days ago, linking to a brilliant jazz blog. I've downloaded and burnt so much music the last few days from that blog, it's not funny. 

Music is for sharing.

Sonny_Rollins-Way_Out_West_(album_cover)

On OJC reissue vinyl. Sounds great. A young Ray Brown shows his immense talent. Shelly Manne is inventive behind the kit. Sonny cooks as always.

Happy to get a Japanese OG. Bye bye 4 Men With Beards. 

Miles Davis â€Žâ€“ Agharta = アガルタã®å‡±æ­Œ

CBS Sony, Japan 1975

post-153574-0-89922400-1453967904_thumb.

Soultrane

OJC reissue LP

MI0003270744.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

gl-cp.jpeg

On the superb Black Saint label, from 1979. Vinyl

Antony Davis - piano, Douglas Ewart - bass clarinet & alto, Lewis - tenor 'bone (whoa!) & electronics, Richard Teitlebaum - moog synths.

Edited by mikey d

Yosuke Yamashita Trio: Up To Date.

Listening to this atm.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm right into japanese jazz at the minute, and am seeking more. See my post in the trading thread.  :)

I do have a few other Blue Note, Music Matters etc releases I would consider trading for other jazz too. 

I probably should have let you know @@soundfan that a couple of weeks ago elusivediscs had some HDCDs and SACDs on the Three Blind Mice label going for $4.99 U.S. If I come across any more,I'll post here.

I probably should have let you know @@soundfan that a couple of weeks ago elusivediscs had some HDCDs and SACDs on the Three Blind Mice label going for $4.99 U.S. If I come across any more,I'll post here.

Cheers, I appreciate that.

Paul Bley Trio â€Žâ€“ Closer

ESP Disk, US 1966

ESP Disk, Japan 1975

I was lucky, I picked up a good copy of Bley's Barrage last year at the markets in Paris. Was only about $20 and I was expecting an original ESP disk to be closer to $80.

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch (Music Matters 33 1/3)

51-in8AhRuL.jpg

Sublime.

This is very nice. 

post-103759-0-60927400-1454066159_thumb.

Edited by soundfan

Terumasa Hino: Hogiuta

(released in '76 on the East Wind label)

TERUMASA HINO â€“ Trumpet, Fluegelhorn, Percussion, Composer, Voices
CECIL McBEE â€“ Bass (Acoustic), Voice
MOTOHIKO HINO â€“ Drums, Percussion, Voices
MTUME â€“ Percussion, Conga, Voices

Last one for the night. I have just taken steps to purchase this wonderful album on vinyl.  Hard to categorise, but fusion/soul-jazz would be close, but it's mellow,groove ridden...and outstanding.

Well known in Japan, Hino's a fantastic trumpeter, and you can hear the Miles Davis influences through-out. The rhythm section is kick ass too, and Mtume (who has played with Miles) and Motohiko Hino offer up some great touches with percussion.

MI0001960804.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by soundfan

Guest Misterioso

Thelonious Monk: Underground (1968 Columbia, here: 2014 ORG Music reissue)

ba78e0340619b185ae1a693c62bc0808.jpg

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby -1961/1985 Fantasy Records Reissue.

Jazz and coffee. A great start to the day.

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ba78e0340619b185ae1a693c62bc0808.jpg

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby -1961/1985 Fantasy Records Reissue.

Jazz and coffee. A great start to the day.

Cheers,

Leigh

I love the way you take pains to post nicely composed photos with objet d'art....... :thumb:

I love the way you take pains to post nicely composed photos with objet d'art....... :thumb:

I was meaning to ask Leigh about that.Kosta Boda?

Thanks @@pulinap and @@mrbuzzardstubble

The orange bowl is from Kosta Boda, well spotted. 

I've got a few Kosta Boda pieces and also from Borowski Glass in Germany. I get them from Peter's of Kensington. They also make nice gifts.

Closer to home, I have a few from Keith Rowe and Kayo Yokayama. They have a nice studio in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains.

There are more pics on my Instagram. Earlier this week, I was chatting with a few jazz vinyl collectors in Sweden who also collect glass. :)

Cheers,

Leigh

Oops... I forgot to mention that the folks at Cleanfeed Records are having their annual CD clearance. Many of the titles that are on sale have had numerous good reviews in this thread.

My tip: grab yourself a copy of Chris Lightcap's Big Mouth Deluxe and also Adam Lane's Full Throttle Orchestra if you don't own them already.

https://cleanfeed-records.com/

Cheers,

Leigh

My favourite Aussie jazz record. 

Brian Brown Quintet â€Žâ€“ Carlton Streets

44 Records, Australia 1975

post-153574-0-84023200-1454111439_thumb.

Bobby Hutcherson Featuring Harold Land â€Žâ€“ San Francisco

Blue Note, US 1971

post-153574-0-07756300-1454125400_thumb.

MI0001402507.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The below allmusic review sums this up nicely:

Satoko Fujii approaches jazz from the cultural perspective of an Asian. The prolific artists again release two albums together. Recorded in Japan, Past Life features her all-Japanese sextet that has worked on collective improvisation since forming in 1996. The instrumentation backing Fujii at the piano is trumpet, saxophones, trombone, bass, and drums. Their hyper-voodoo coloring of organically evolving themes is exciting and magical. Very avant-garde and unhindered by Western notions of tonality and structure, Fujii's music pushes the envelope in all directions. This is her seventh recording since 1996.Fujii continues advancing the sophistication in her alchemic mix of jazz, classical music, and traditional Japanese folk motifs. Not entirely improvised, the sextet performs intricate scores composed by Fujiiand features in performance wild musical fantasies led by Fujii's husband, trumpeter Natuski Tamura.

Guest Misterioso

Satoko Fujii approaches jazz from the cultural perspective of an Asian...

Also check out Satoko Fuji and Myra Melford: Under The Water.

Fuji performed in Melbourne a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I could not make it :-(