Jazz: Currently Spinning

And anybody for some Mose Allison? I've only got 1 cd (Lessons in Living) of his that is not great, but can't wait to get out my old treasures on vinyl. I must have about 7-10 albums (without checking)..... Your mind is on Vacation (amongst others) will be back on board very soon. :rolleyes:

Hi

One of my all time favourites - caught him once in Monterey at the Hidden Valley Music Centre and in London at the Pizza Express in Soho where I literally sat at the right hand end of his piano (I would've helped with a few notes but he didn't need any). It's great the homage that people like Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, Ben Sidran and even Pete Townsend and Diana Krall have paid to his music, but I wish the first three would occasionally sing in tune on the tribute album they made.

My favourite album would have to be (the much underrated IMO) Swingin' Machine, because it's got a great mix of his easy-going ironic/sardonic lyrics and some straight ahead blowing by the sax and tromb as well as his piano.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

To 2sheds & scuzzi, I hope that when you get home tonight your mother comes out of her kennel and bites you. :rolleyes::D:D:D

To be truthful, I've already doubled up on a couple of Jacintha albums so I will probably get one/both of the Eden Atwood albums with my next order.

I listened to this for the first time this morning.

jvcsxr61036.jpg

Sonny Rollins Live in Japan 1973.

Very energetic, had me dancing around while I was getting my breakfast.

Hi

Ah - John McLaughlin does it for me every time -

As in the Mahivishnu John McLaughlin? Played a gig or 2 with Carlos Santana John McLaughlin?

mmm... never thought of him as a jazz guitarist...:rolleyes:

cheers

2sheds

To 2sheds & scuzzi, I hope that when you get home tonight your mother comes out of her kennel and bites you. :D:D:D:D

To be truthful, I've already doubled up on a couple of Jacintha albums so I will probably get one/both of the Eden Atwood albums with my next order.

I listened to this for the first time this morning.

jvcsxr61036.jpg

Sonny Rollins Live in Japan 1973.

Very energetic, had me dancing around while I was getting my breakfast.

:rolleyes::eek:

Thanks Raptor.. :)

I have that Sonny Rollins on my elusive disc wishlist..

John

• Like 1

Got "Your Mind is On Vacation" for years. His first album, too . . "sitting up here on Parchment Farm, and all I did was shoot my wife". You know he gave up dentistry to play music. "Mose knows, the sage of the age!", heard that somewhere. A one of a kind player, songwriter, singer.

Love, Devotion, Surrender features Santana (along with McLaughlin) like you've never ever heard him. On my favorite track, The Life Divine, both those guys dig deep and come up with lines of sound so rare. I thought for years that was Billy Cobham on drums on this track (it's intense- believe that), nope, it's Michael Shrieve, all of twenty something young years old. Unbelievable!!!

The talk of John McLaughlin has reminded me that I heard on Melbourne's PBSFM ******* Brew program last night that Return To Forever ( Chick Corea, Al di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White) are reforming for a tour of the USA which is planned to produce a live album.

The way I made the connection is that di Meola, McLaughlin and Paco Lucia put out an excellent album called Friday Night In San Francisco which I must get myself.

Hi

One of my all time favourites - caught him once in Monterey at the Hidden Valley Music Centre and in London at the Pizza Express in Soho where I literally sat at the right hand end of his piano (I would've helped with a few notes but he didn't need any). It's great the homage that people like Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, Ben Sidran and even Pete Townsend and Diana Krall have paid to his music, but I wish the first three would occasionally sing in tune on the tribute album they made.

My favourite album would have to be (the much underrated IMO) Swingin' Machine, because it's got a great mix of his easy-going ironic/sardonic lyrics and some straight ahead blowing by the sax and tromb as well as his piano.

Cheers

Mick

Aaah, pleased to hear another person is a Mose fan. I also saw him in London (early 80's); I think he was doing a 'Middle Class White Boy' promotional tour. Sadly underrated by the general buying public, but covered by many an artist of the years.

I think he has kind of an image problem.....he's not pure jazz, certainly not blues etc & because he doesn't seem to fall into a neat basket gets overlooked by many purists. Anyway, he seems to have stood the test of time, his lengthy career a testimony to this.

Swingin' Machine may not be my all time fav, but that era (early 60's) possibly is, although I do like a lot of his early-mid 70's work almost equally.

I have been spinning the following on vinyl:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire ( played this after reading some of the above comments on John McLaughin ) Its a great LP.

Charles Mingus -Passion Of A Man ( 3 LP anthology of his Atlantic recordings). Any fan of Mingus should check this out, but vinyl copies may be pretty hard to come across.

• Like 1

I have a backup version of Herbie Hancock - Possibilities

Just a question, should this recording sound like a Santana release???? I'm thinking the person I've 'borrowed' the backup from may have written the wrong title on the CD....

• Like 1

Just a question, should this recording sound like a Santana release???? I'm thinking the person I've 'borrowed' the backup from may have written the wrong title on the CD....

:P G'day Scuzzii,

sounds like a mix up to me. Herbie does Carlos :D don't think so.

I haven't got a copy of Possibilities though to be 100%

Scuzzii,

Not getting it mixed up with 'Three Blind Sheep', are you...:D

cheers

2sheds

:o G'day Scuzzi,

sounds like a mix up to me. Herbie does Carlos :D don't think so.

I haven't got a copy of Possibilities though to by 100%

he he, maybe they have collaborated.. :P

Thought as much, thanks 4HS..

• Like 1

Only on one track, Scuzzi.

Following is a track list:

1. Stitched Up feat. John Mayer 2. Safiatou feat. Santana and Angelique Kidjo 3. A Song For You feat. Christina Aguilera 4. I Do It For Your Love feat. Paul Simon 5. Hush, Hush, Hush feat. Annie Lennox 6. Sister Moon featuring Sting 7. When Love Comes To Town feat. Jonny Lang and Joss Stone 8. Dont Explain feat. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan 9. I Just Called To Say I Love You feat. Raul Midón 10. Gelo Na Montanha feat. Trey Anastasio

I do like track 7 particularly on this album

:) G'day Scuzzii,

sounds like a mix up to me. Herbie does Carlos :P don't think so.

I haven't got a copy of Possibilities though to be 100%

If I remember correctly (can't be bothered to google this) Herbie did appear on a Carlos Santana album

Swing Of Delight? - late '70s

Jake, help me out here.

Only on one track, Scuzzi.

Following is a track list:

1. Stitched Up feat. John Mayer 2. Safiatou feat. Santana and Angelique Kidjo 3. A Song For You feat. Christina Aguilera 4. I Do It For Your Love feat. Paul Simon 5. Hush, Hush, Hush feat. Annie Lennox 6. Sister Moon featuring Sting 7. When Love Comes To Town feat. Jonny Lang and Joss Stone 8. Dont Explain feat. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan 9. I Just Called To Say I Love You feat. Raul Midón 10. Gelo Na Montanha feat. Trey Anastasio

I do like track 7 particularly on this album

Thanks Raptor. I must say, I'm quite taken by the SQ and the music on "possibilities". very good indeed.

• Like 1

Scuzzii,

Not getting it mixed up with 'Three Blind Sheep', are you...:P

cheers

2sheds

I've certainly listened to three blind blokes... Pick any Saturday night out with my mates....

• Like 1

Just finished listening to:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

on a 'Classic Records' reissue, 200gm vinyl.

While I have read of the shocking releases by this mob in regards to surface noise and sound quality in general, this one seems great. Very low surface noise (Same case with my Jethro Tull - Aqualung vinyl, released by the same mob) and sounds great.

Pity I paid $55 for the bloody thing, though.

Just finished listening to:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

on a 'Classic Records' reissue, 200gm vinyl....

Pity I paid $55 for the bloody thing, though.

$55 :P

I'm definitely going to stick with my original copy - it always sounds gorgeous.

Jazz on FM radio

I've been looking at program guides and I have identified the following programs:

National

On ABC Classic FM (105.9 in Melbourne)

Friday 10.30 pm - Jazz up late

Saturday 5.05 pm - Jazztrack

Melbourne local

3MBS (103.5)

Tuesday 10.00 pm - Jazz Rivers

Friday 10.00pm - Colours of Jazz

3PBS (106.7)

Saturday 9.00 am - Jazz on Saturday

Saturday 11.00 am - Fiesta Jazz

Tuesday 10.00 pm - ******* Brew

I use these programs to try to find some new music., so I thought I'd post them for interested parties.

Does anyone know of others I have missed?