Jazz: Currently Spinning

This isn't a name you would expect in the jazz thread, but anyone who enjoys listening to the great divas will like this. Linda at her sultry best with some great jazz regulars.

1525322198111-333461176.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ian McP said:

great source for jazz

https://www.dustygroove.com/category/jazz

and much more

https://www.dustygroove.com

regards Ian

I came across this site yesterday for the first time ever when searching for a Tony Alen 10 inch EP.

Great selection and prices seem quite reasonable too. They didn't actually have the EP I was after but have bookmarked the site for future purchases.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Citroen said:

I came across this site yesterday for the first time ever when searching for a Tony Alen 10 inch EP.

Great selection and prices seem quite reasonable too. They didn't actually have the EP I was after but have bookmarked the site for future purchases.

A good site that one. Also check out bleep.com. A good source for vinyl in jazz,world and electronica.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Been signed up to Bleep for many years. But don't rate them as a jazz label at all, more electronica.

The jazz doesn't register on the genres list,on my phone anyway. If I search bleep.com jazz,about 100 vinyl albums appear. Admittedly not a big list but there's quite a few interesting titles in there.

20 hours ago, Dave O))) said:

Hi Gary, how are you doing? Its been a while since you posted.

Currently on the train home after seeing Peter Brotzmann and Heather Leigh tear it up at a private warehouse gig in Sydney. I really enjoyed catching up with a bunch of SNA regulars and not so regulars, you know who you are!!

Was it this concert, see link, bet that was once in a life time good! https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brotzmannleigh-review-the-loud-living-soundtrack-to-what-it-is-to-be-human-20180503-h0zkoc.html

I am going well Dave, thanks. Just been busy at work & trying to get the place  cleaned up on weekends. And administering the popular Lounge currently spinning takes up a lot of time....?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Was it this concert, see link, bet that was once in a life time good! https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brotzmannleigh-review-the-loud-living-soundtrack-to-what-it-is-to-be-human-20180503-h0zkoc.html

I am going well Dave, thanks. Just been busy at work & trying to get the place  cleaned up on weekends. And administering the popular Lounge currently spinning takes up a lot of time....?

Yes! That was it. It's happening again tonight as we speak. A couple of the local Sydney lads are going again. I'm currently editing to the recording I made. Broetzmann still has powerful old lungs.

LoL! Busy lounging haha. I might drop by to test the comfort level ;) 

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 2

Speaking of trad jazz, vale Dick Hughes jazz pianist, journalist & broadcaster passed away on 20 April 2018. You may know of his daughter, who was lead singer in Machine Gun Fellatio.

SMH obit

https://www.smh.com.au/national/dick-hughes-journalist-jazz-pianist-and-broadcaster-20180423-p4zb67.html

Dick Hughes can be heard singing from 8.47 Unfortunately I cant find their classic Midnight Choo Choo on youtube.

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

Yes! That was it. It's happening again tonight as we speak. A couple of the local Sydney lads are going again. I'm currently editing to the recording I made. Broetzmann still has powerful old lungs.

LoL! Busy lounging haha. I might drop by to test the comfort level ;) 

Round 2 was just as exhilarating as last night.

Couple of ex SNA chaps there as well.

It was recorded by Leigh and Brotzmann as well, so hopefully a live mix will make its way into the wider world.

Did you give Brotzmann the cigar Dave?

• Like 4

Round 2 was just as exhilarating as last night.
Couple of ex SNA chaps there as well.
It was recorded by Leigh and Brotzmann as well, so hopefully a live mix will make its way into the wider world.
Did you give Brotzmann the cigar Dave?
Haha I did, via Nick. I hope he enjoyed it :)
  • Like 5

As I mentioned on another thread recently, I am not a jazz head, so to speak, but I do like some forms of jazz. I don't like experimental jazz......way too self indulgent IMO but I have a few albums which could be described as jazz rock fusion and other albums which dabble occasionally in a jazzy sound. I have embedded a Snakefinger youtube clip below, Bad Day In Bombay (parts 1 & 2). You may check out the whole song if you like, it's very cool (the first 4 minutes has more odd-beat Snakefinger influence) but the part in question starts at 4:08.....this is the style of jazz I can really dig. Foot tappin' jazz! The point of this exercise? I was wondering if any of you can put me onto any jazz artists that sound similar in style to the latter two minutes of this song.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........?

Edited by stevoz

Look at what the poatman brought!

47f46457f92065402d531ee5aef54c06.jpg

Nah I think I'll spin this one, hand delivered by my favourite DJ

ece4a7c88673697e246038b159a31b1e.jpg

Mikey I can see why this is your fave EG. Stunning beautiful music, with quiet dynamics to die for. Quite a world apart from Peter Broetzmann, but not too dissimilar in its intensity. Thank you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

Look at what the poatman brought!

47f46457f92065402d531ee5aef54c06.jpg

Nah I think I'll spin this one, hand delivered by my favourite DJ

ece4a7c88673697e246038b159a31b1e.jpg

Mikey I can see why this is your fave EG. Stunning beautiful music, with quiet dynamics to die for. Quite a world apart from Peter Broetzmann, but not too dissimilar in its intensity. Thank you.

Definitely my favourite.

• Like 2

Various, ‎ From Spirituals To Swing – Carnegie Hall Concerts 1938/39. Vanguard ‎ VSD 47/48 Vanguard Twofer  Compilation, Reissue, Stereo Australia 1975.

See the lineup https://www.discogs.com/master/view/516854 Everyone from Big Bill Broonzy to Count Basie. So we can blame Vanguard for the awful marketing word 'Twofer'! 

R-3083478-1314921778.jpeg.jpg

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 3

Kev Beadle* ‎– Private Collection Volume 3 (More Independent Jazz Sounds From The Seventies & Eighties) 3LP set

R-10988693-1507749415-5495.jpeg.jpg

"Beloved DJ, compiler and incurable vinyl junkie, Kev Beadle returns to BBE with a 3rd volume of his much lauded ‘Private Collection’ album series. Taking in a wide range of obscure jazz with a distinct nod to the dance-floor, the first two ‘Private Collections’ are already considered classics by the jazz-dance community. Once again presenting a wealth of ultra-rare sounds previously only available to record collectors with very deep pockets, Vol.3 sees Kev inviting us to travel even deeper into the vinyl vaults. 

As you might expect, ‘Private Collection Vol.3’ contains its fair share of frenetic, syncopated musical workouts to test the stamina of even the most dedicated dancers, but the album also provides some moments of calm, some smooth Latin grooves like Louis Hayes version of the Freddie Hubbard classic ‘Little Sunflower’ as well as very rare, sought after recordings by Belair, Lee Willhite and the Webster Lewis that have changed hands for big money in recent times. "

• Like 2