Jazz: Currently Spinning

Guest Misterioso
On 12/10/2017 at 3:24 PM, k-k-k-kenny said:

These guys are all great players, and John Medeski can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

But when let loose to jazzify some 60s rock standards (Lay Lady Lay, Up On Cripple Creek, Woodstock...) and some less than riveting originals the result is, frankly, dull.  Who'd a thought that a bunch of primitive rockers would wring a lot more excitement and meaning out of this stuff than these real smart guys, eh?

You won't clear any rooms with it, but you won't wake anybody up with it, either.

Kenny's review fits the record below very well. I don't know why I bought it (the involvement of Norah Jones and Willie Nelson should have served as a warning) but probably I was still under the impression of the amazing Forest Flower reissue on Speakers Corner. Anyway, this is easy listening for a sunny Sunday afternoon but otherwise not very interesting. The track list below suggests that Blue Note wanted to generate some cash flow with this record. Nothing wrong with that as long as a good proportion reaches the accounts of Charles Lloyd, Bill Frisell, Eric Harland and co.

Edited by Misterioso

'dreams and daggers' - cecile mclorin salvant

fantastic set recorded live at the village vanguard and the dimenna center.

i think if she keeps up the great work, in due time her name will be amongst the most revered. her range and nuance is amazing.

nice recording too.

P1080935 copy.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mikey d said:

71lCxIbfHCL._SL1200_.jpg

Like all you guys, I listen to a lot of music but Coltrane affects me more than any other. It's the tone, just majestic.

Been spinning lots of Coltrane this week after seeing a terrific documentary about him as part of the Antenna Festival. 

"Chasing 'Trane" .. a must see for anyone interested in jazz.

Even some audiophile eye candy there for some of you keen observers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, klackto said:

Been spinning lots of Coltrane this week after seeing a terrific documentary about him as part of the Antenna Festival. 

"Chasing 'Trane" .. a must see for anyone interested in jazz.

Even some audiophile eye candy there for some of you keen observers.

Can't wait for it to come out on Bluray.

• Like 1

First disc a little noisey, with not much improvement on cleaning, but just not annoying enough to replace.

So far the others are OK. 

Otherwise, sound wise is very pleasing, no problems. 

81d69vfczkL._SL1400_.jpg

• Like 3

816XVLBsS9L._SL1000_.jpg

Kamasi Washington - Harmony Of Difference.

Finally arrived in the post today. Definitely 'in the tradition'. Kamasi certainly knows how to write a tune & masterly solo constructions. Nice clean pressing. The sound is a little congested. I love it. It will get a lot of plays. The good lady of the house hasn't complained, so that's a good thing :)

• Like 6

The Thing with Barry Guy: Metal

2 LP No Business Records.

I just ordered in the new James Blood Ulmer/ The Thing release titled Baby Talk. Will be interesting to hear how this mighty trio interact with Ulmer on guitar. 

In the meantime am playing this dynamic release with Barry Guy.

20171017_190504.jpg

• Like 3

Bob Downes Open Music ‎Electric City. Vertigo ‎6360 005, UK 1970.

An amazing jazz-rock album from 1970, which is certainly worth checking out/reevaluating, see embeded tracks on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Downes-Open-Music-Electric-City/release/502727

Posted it  on Currently Spinning recently & it sunk without a trace, thought the Progs. would have been all over it!

DSCN1639.JPG

DSCN1640.JPG

• Like 1

I used to see this in the cheap bins decades ago in Sydney but then it disappeared without a trace after about 5 years. I never bought my own copy however.

I see a few noted musos on there who then went onto greater fame with other bands.

Herbie Flowers joined Sky

Chris Spedding and Ian Carr served time with Nucleus while C.S. had a semi illustrious career as a soloist.

I also see that Gnosis have only given him minor recognition in that not too many of the members have rated his albums but of those 17 that have, the median rating for Electric City is a decent 10/15 so it's obviously a good release by him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, progladyte said:

I used to see this in the cheap bins decades ago in Sydney but then it disappeared without a trace after about 5 years. I never bought my own copy however.

I see a few noted musos on there who then went onto greater fame with other bands.

Herbie Flowers joined Sky

Chris Spedding and Ian Carr served time with Nucleus while C.S. had a semi illustrious career as a soloist.

I also see that Gnosis have only given him minor recognition in that not too many of the members have rated his albums but of those 17 that have, the median rating for Electric City is a decent 10/15 so it's obviously a good release by him.

Sorry Greg, when said Progs. I meant progressive rock fans, not you personally. But thanks for providing the rating, as you say, 10/15 ain't bad but it is a small sample size, so not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Miles Davis On the Corner was in the clearance bins when it fizzled too at around the same time. Wouldn't be good to have a time travel machine!

PS i picked up a copy of ELP Brain Salad Surgery out a bargain bin yesterday for memory lane-old times sake....

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2

No worries Gary,

I saw your post and being happy to make a comment here and there on the jazz thread, thought I throw a few words in.

I can see why you have been having a hard time finding any of his albums. They'd be pretty thin on the ground around here although his Electric City was released on the Australian Vertigo label in 1970, hence the collectibiity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, progladyte said:

Yes, but did she like the music? :)

She didn't say but she didn't call it 'squeaky trumpet music' either. I did have the volume down to conversation level. When she goes to work this morning I'll crank it up.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mikey d said:

a1198237949_10.jpg

I had the d/l of this, thanks Chris @soundfan. Fantastic record. It has had a vinyl repress of 100 copies, so I just ordered one. I did baulk a bit at the $20 postage but you only live once, eh :). Playing it now (burned to disc).

The vinyl version is top notch too mate. In a year of outstanding jazz releases, this is one of my favourites.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mikey d said:

a1198237949_10.jpg

I had the d/l of this, thanks Chris @soundfan. Fantastic record. It has had a vinyl repress of 100 copies, so I just ordered one. I did baulk a bit at the $20 postage but you only live once, eh :). Playing it now (burned to disc).

Postage from Juno was only 4.20 pounds ;)

• Like 1