Jazz: Currently Spinning

_20201022_122536.thumb.JPG.405f2282aea5d94d31058f25e4818433.JPG

Keyon Harold - The Mugician (2017 - LP) 

I bought this in a bundle from Northside Records, cold on their recommendation, to take my order up to $100 and free shipping. Post hip-hop melting pot jazz with a long list of collaborators including Gary Clark Jr and Robert Glasper. I found it a bit underwhelming on first listen but coming back to it after a few months I enjoyed it more. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Monty said:

Hey @Dilettanteque I've noticed you play a bit of Tomaz Stanko. I have Suspended Night and Wislawa and like them very much. Where would you go next? 

Hiya @Monty. For his more improvisational style Lontano may be of Interest.  Leosia is a quite introspective album. Soul Of Things also has a moody reflective character.  I love his sound . And with these recommendations I run out of the one i own!

Then you could jump off and follow Marcin Wasilewski, the quartet's pianist!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Hiya @Monty. For his more improvisational style Lontano may be of Interest.  Leosia is a quite introspective album. Soul Of Things also has a moody reflective character.  I love his sound . And with these recommendations I run out of the one i own!

Then you could jump off and follow Marcin Wasilewski, the quartet's pianist!

I recently acquired Dark Eyes, which is quite a nice album too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Monty said:

Hey @Dilettanteque I've noticed you play a bit of Tomaz Stanko. I have Suspended Night and Wislawa and like them very much. Where would you go next? 

I'm not @Dilettanteque but much prefer Stanko's earlier work especially the 70's albums he was part of.

Twet, Almost Green, Fish Face, Music For K, and Jazz message from Poland are all great albums.

But then again  I love his edgier more free albums, and am not such a fan of his ECM output, a label I generally dislike. 

One of the truly great trumpeters.

• Like 3