Jazz: Currently Spinning

On 27/07/2020 at 9:38 PM, wasabijim said:

first spin after it came today

really enjoying it, very much towards the blues end of the equation 

(they don'y credit a bass player but you hear someone walking it - I can't figure it out)

R-13813020-1561679612-5066.jpeg.jpg

'Baby Face' Willette - Face To Face

LP, Album, RE, 180
Blue Note, Blue Note, Blue Note, Blue Note B0029750-01, ST-84068, BST 84068, 84068
2019 US

I remember reading somewhere that there was no bass at the recording sessions, but a little was added later. Apparently Baby Face was quite adept to playing bass lines on organ and actually sounding like a double bass. Though no info on these suggestions, here is some good reading on his life.

https://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/baby-face-willette.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

cheers

i thought that might be the case, some organs have foot pedals (keys?) that would allow that? 

Also check out his recordings on the Argo lable, much more raw in their presentation. I don't think that they were ever reissued, so may be a little difficult to obtain.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 8:58 PM, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Louis Armstrong And His All-Stars,   Satch Plays Fats (A Tribute To The Immortal Fats Waller).  Coronet  ‎ KLP 520.  Mono Australia 1956.

Satch Plays Fats (A Tribute To The Immortal Fats Waller) (Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono) album cover

i have 2 of Fats Wallers LPs

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tab74 said:

i have 2 of Fats Wallers LPs

A good selection of Fats's best known tracks on this LP, with vocals with Velma Middleton   The other one LA cut for Columbia was Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy. Both are considered classics.

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2