Jazz: Currently Spinning

Just finished taking in the live stream of The Joe Lovano Trio at the Village Vanguard. It was very professionally done,  but for some reason I couldn't link up with my TV, so watched it on my phone. It was a good gig with a lot of free playing. They do another gig on Sunday afternoon NYC time if anyone is interested. 

Screenshot_20200704-092007_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200704-092915_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

I have quite a few LPs on Everest Records, and they do seem to pull out a lot of obscurities. Not the best for SQ, but worthwhile for the quality of music they present. This one introduces a violinist who goes by the name Stuff Smith, who made his name in the mid 30's playing in the 52nd St. jazz district in NYC. Having a unique style, he was readily recognised as one of the first jazz violinists, recording a number of songs with Jonah Jones. This album was recorded in Paris with Stephane Grappelly, and anyone with an interest in Steph will quickly recognise this as an early recording by the spelling of his name. Stuff has a very unorthodox and unique sound which is catchy indeed. 

15938598379885866925498311607176.jpg

• Like 3