Jazz: Currently Spinning

Gil Evans - There Comes A Time.

When most people think of orchestrated jazz, they think of Moonlight Serenade or similar, this album is definitely not of that ilk. Here, Gil Evans has put together an orchetra of some of the most free thinking jazz musicians of the era. Think of something along the lines of psych jazz rock fusion and you will be starting to get the idea. In fact, some of what is presented here will make much of Miles Davis' work from that same era seem a bit tame. This is definitely worth seeking out if you like your music a bit "out there".

15918699933072218095123702228217.jpg

15918701193919214110121049766427.jpg

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 6

A really nice album. Not afraid to take on some of the biggest names in music. Lennon and McCartney, Wes Montgomery, Monk, Duke Pearson and Heyman and Young. He does them and himself proud. Has a real touch with the ballads. Some good late night listening even at noon. 

15919262815091400274604.jpg

• Like 2

George Shearing and Brian Torff Live At Blues Alley, Washington. 

I guess most of the seasoned jazz folk here would know what to expect from the music of Shearing. He is a great pianist of great musical dexterity, virtuosity and compositionally varied, if not somewhat predictable. In saying that, I do really enjoy listening to him, but usually when I'm feeling less in a mood to be analytical about what I'm listening to. However,  listening to this album has introduced me to his collaborator, double bassist Brian Torff. I must admit, prior to this album I had never before heard of him, and he doesn't feature in the few jazz guides I have. Having a playing style and virtuosity that is certainly reminiscent of Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, I think I'll be investigating further. The album also features some composition of his, which is also impressive. 

15919451051123076282667401749239.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

George Shearing and Brian Torff Live At Blues Alley, Washington. 

I guess most of the seasoned jazz folk here would know what to expect from the music of Shearing. He is a great pianist of great musical dexterity, virtuosity and compositionally varied, if not somewhat predictable. In saying that, I do really enjoy listening to him, but usually when I'm feeling less in a mood to be analytical about what I'm listening to. However,  listening to this album has introduced me to his collaborator, double bassist Brian Torff. I must admit, prior to this album I had never before heard of him, and he doesn't feature in the few jazz guides I have. Having a playing style and virtuosity that is certainly reminiscent of Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, I think I'll be investigating further. The album also features some composition of his, which is also impressive. 

15919451051123076282667401749239.jpg

A Washington native, Blues Alley is one of my favorite places on earth. Not a bad seat in the house and a capacity of probably not more than a 100 or so including the bar. I doubt it's ever been a money maker. Hope it's able to survive covid. It would be a terrible loss for so many reasons if it didn't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, djmt said:

A Washington native, Blues Alley is one of my favorite places on earth. Not a bad seat in the house and a capacity of probably not more than a 100 or so including the bar. I doubt it's ever been a money maker. Hope it's able to survive covid. It would be a terrible loss for so many reasons if it didn't.

Much the same for most of the historic jazz clubs of NYC. Birdland is quite big, as for the others, The Standard, Bluenote, Vanguard et. al., they aren't that big and probably not big money spinners. They could all easily go the way of the clubs on 52nd where so many of the jazz greats cut their teeth. 

• Like 2

On 10/06/2020 at 8:13 PM, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia, Friday Night In San Francisco. Philips ‎ 800 047-2, CD Germany 1983.

Just getting around to playing this for the first time tonight, must have had it sitting around for decades & it was already decades old when I bought it!

Friday Night In San Francisco (CD, Album, Reissue) album cover

I have exactly same cd that was  sealed was not being played almost 20 years and managed to play it last year for the first time. It's a great cd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vinilink said:

I have exactly same cd that was  sealed was not being played almost 20 years and managed to play it last year for the first time. It's a great cd.

Isn't it crazy good, can't believe i didn't play it earlier! this is the pointy end Philips red swirl, is yours this pressing, it should be the 2nd pressing?

R-15458303-1591870838-7121.jpeg.jpg

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 4