Jazz: Currently Spinning

1 hour ago, DarkTree said:

In honour of the great Henry Grimes (read his biography), who wrote 3 of the 7 songs on

The Perry Robinson 4 - Funk Dumpling

Perry Robinson (cl), Kenny Barron (p), Henry Grimes (b), Paul Motian (ds)IMG_0509.thumb.jpg.a07499cbace7a49fd66b60c6be3415f0.jpg

I love this album. I think it might be one of Motian’s earliest recordings? Compared to Grimes’ The Call which has Robinson as well the two albums are poles apart. Both are great. I’m ashamed to say I paid big $ for a copy of The Call on vinyl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bell Ringer said:

I love this album. I think it might be one of Motian’s earliest recordings? Compared to Grimes’ The Call which has Robinson as well the two albums are poles apart. Both are great. I’m ashamed to say I paid big $ for a copy of The Call on vinyl.

I don't have The Call, unfortunately. I should really try to find it. Paul Motian is already part of Lee Konitz' Live at the Half Note in 1959, another outstanding album (just played it yesterday).

Now it seems confirmed: RIP Henry Grimes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Myra Melford Trio - Alive In The House Of Saints.

Great early MM. I have all Myra Melford albums published in the last four decades. With the exception of her two recent Tiger Trio albums, I enjoy all of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkTree said:

Great early MM. I have all Myra Melford albums published in the last four decades. With the exception of her two recent Tiger Trio albums, I enjoy all of them.

Hi Dark Tree.

She's new to my ears, but I like this and will check out more of her albums. I took a punt with this because it's on the Hat Hut label. I like the label and it's artwork appeals too. 

• Like 2

I had never heard of Till Bronner until a roon recommendation. He's apparently the most popular jazz musician in Germany. A trumpeter/vocalist which brings Chet Baker to mind. This album is mostly instrumental with the two vocals by Mark Murphy who was 70 when the album was made but sounds better than ever. Sort of a smooth funky sort of thing for us senior citizen cool cats.

15872703159821597227670.jpg

• Like 2

Ross McHenry - Nothing Remains Unchanged (2020 - Spotify)

Spurred on by some Shaolin Afronaut posts in the vinyl thread,  I got on a bit of a Ross McHenry track this afternoon and found he has a new album out.

Eric Harland on drums is a pretty high profile collaborator. 

open-uri20200224-13410-p47wyq?1582558119

• Like 2

On 12/04/2020 at 4:09 PM, Kafunis said:

Christian McBride Trio- Live At The Village Vanguard, really good recording/performance on double LP, cut by Kevin Gray.

29487149-4EB6-4A8D-A6E4-336D98D2B518.jpeg

The artwork on this cover is a good depiction of the actual stairway and door that lead to the live performance space at the V.V. 

• Like 3