Jazz: Currently Spinning

I really enjoy some of the Verve master edition releases back in 2000.  One of the very nice digital transfer is this one. Saw many before me posting this record, thought I will play my copy and audition some DAC options while “working” from home.

03375C14-EEB2-4646-B14A-EA80FFAE26A5.jpeg

• Like 4

Jimmy Giuffre 3 - Graz Live, 1961

This CD (top right on the picture below) appeared in 2019 on ezz-thetics, the new sublabel of Werner Uehlinger's Hat Hut label. The Jimmy Giuffre 3 trio on this CD consists of Giuffre (cl), Paul Bley (pf) and Steve Swallow (db). This trio is mostly known for their 1961 Verve records, Fusion and Thesis, that were later remastered and released on Manfred Eicher's ECM label as Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961 (bottom left below). This new CD contains a live recording from a concert in Graz on 27 October 1961. It joins live recordings from concerts in Stuttgart and Bremen on 7 and 23 November 1961, respectively, that were previously available on Hat Hut as Emphasis & Flight, 1961. These concerts were reissued with additional tracks on Martin Davidson's Emanem label (top left below). (As a side note, I find these transitions between labels quite fascinating.) The trio mostly performs tracks from their Verve studio albums on all of these live recordings (Graz, Stuttgart and Bremen). The Jimmy Giuffre 3 trio (in this constellation) unfortunately was short-lived due to lack of commercial success. They released their final album, Free Fall, in 1962 on Columbia (bottom right), which is often considered a milestone in the development of free jazz.

The 1961 recordings are among my favourite jazz records of all times. The new release was a very nice surprise. While it is based on the same material as the previously available live recordings, if offers plenty of variation, of course. I very much like the longer versions of Cry, Want and Carla on this new CD. The sound quality is excellent. There was nothing comparable to this trio in 1961. Instead of dense "sheets of sounds", this drum-less trio produced subtle, sparse and airy chamber-music-like jazz (you can see, I am not a musician myself; just trying to describe what I hear), that was completely unconventional. The music still sounds incredibly fresh today. As far as I know, Free Fall is OOP. The 1961 recordings are all readily available on CD (and the ECM release on vinyl as well). If you want to try just one of these albums, get the ECM reissue first.

IMG_0454.jpg.8ee35df8b3e3505c7a3996629070d7b2.jpg

Edited by DarkTree
  • Like 8

Cecil Taylor - The Willisau Concert.

It’s been quite a few years since I’ve listened to pianist Cecil Taylor’s classic solo performance Silent Tongues. However, with his latest solo endeavor, recorded live on September 3, 2000 at the Jazzfestival Willisau in Switzerland, the pianist has added yet another astounding entry into his already rich recorded legacy.

The thrust of this outing commences with the fifty-minute work titled “Willisau Concert Part 1.” Here we are treated to Taylor’s exhaustive explorations and spider-like manipulations of his grand piano keyboard. The artist intertwines gigantic block chords with contrapuntal flurries amid a complex development of rhythm, and Taylor’s creative genius surfaces throughout. At times, it’s almost like being fixated in a time warp, as Taylor dishes out subtle melodies in concert with multi-layered micro themes. (You’d swear there were two pianists performing.) We can also thank the audio engineers for their shrewd mic placement and exquisite recording processes. Thus, the listener gets to experience the live dynamic in multidimensional fashion!

Taylor’s improvisational techniques and thematic development could be akin to reading chapters in a book, where the various plots are divulged in sequential fashion. On the first piece and the thirteen-minute “Willisau Concert Part 2,” Taylor renders slanted discourses along with multidirectional frameworks via his muscular attack and acrobatic maneuvers. “Willisau Concert Parts 3 thru 5” clock in at less than two minutes each, although at this juncture, he may have depleted the audience’s energy. Yet these short works appear to be minor extensions of the first part.

Greatness can be an ongoing trait! And where others might fail, Taylor succeeds in often awe-inspiring fashion. Hence, a notion that becomes quite significant during this stunningly executed magnum opus! (Emphatically Recommended) - Glenn Astarita : All About Jazz review.

images - 2020-04-02T135134.326.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok, so this is my favourite jazz album.  So much so that I have visited The Stampen, Gamla Stan in Stockholm, Sweden with my family to listen to live music.  I love the acoustic sound, the crowd and most of all the vibraphone contribution.  I have this album in SACD and CD but just the other week acquired it in beautiful heavy duty vinyl. 

Arne Domnerus and band, Jazz at the Pawnshop

A2642EB3-B09B-4839-9565-3677264E823B.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bell Ringer said:

I love Free Fall. My favourite Jimmy Giuffre. 

Yes, what a fantastic album. The sound quality is great, too, the soundstage pulled up by those three guys is captured phenomenally well. Regrettably, there is some "magnetic echo", or whatever it is called when loud, high tones on a tape winding impart themselves on the winding above. However, it's not nearly enough to spoil the gorgeous sound.

Some of the tracks, like Spasmodic, remind me of the (excellent) sound track to Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith :)

• Like 3

The last of my listenings tonight, Dave Brubeck ft. Paul Desmond, some Vic Dickensen with his big band, and Errol Garner at his formidable best. The first two albums are Italian pressings from different lables, and I must say, having obtained numerous pressings in the last 8 months or so out of Italy, the quality of the press and sound is up there with the best from Europe. I'll definitely be favouring them in the future

158582893144632789159.jpg

• Like 2

An evening with Larry Young and Woody Shaw

These guys from Newark were 24 and 20, respectively, when they toured Paris and recorded the ORTF sessions and just a year older when they recorded Unity for Blue Note. What an achievement!

IMG_0458.thumb.jpg.0536cd5144cced8f47d70c1cf7872914.jpg

• Like 7