Jazz: Currently Spinning

Duplicate post from the vinyl thread, cos, well, I figure it fits here at least as well!

My biggest win this week. Well, my biggest win in ages really...

8YeCbFV.jpg

DTmiiMf.jpg

Original US pressing, 1A/1A stampers. It wasn't on the shelf when I went to the shop at lunchtime, but it was there when I went back at 5.30. It wasn't on the shelf by the time I left the shop...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, GeoffR said:

Duplicate post from the vinyl thread, cos, well, I figure it fits here at least as well!

My biggest win this week. Well, my biggest win in ages really...

8YeCbFV.jpg

DTmiiMf.jpg

Original US pressing, 1A/1A stampers. It wasn't on the shelf when I went to the shop at lunchtime, but it was there when I went back at 5.30. It wasn't on the shelf by the time I left the shop...

Wow, a genuine 6-Eye, don't see them very often, good on you!

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2

Various*, 1954, Jazz At The Philharmonic ‎– Norman Granz' Jazz At The Philharmonic Vol. 16. Clef Records ‎– MG VOL. 16. 3 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono Australia  C.1954.

Playing disc 1, sounds great (VG+) & these discs are around 64 years old!

Norman Granz' Jazz At The Philharmonic Vol. 16 (Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono) album cover

*Credits

Alto Saxophone – Benny Carter  Willie Smith 

Bass – Ray Brown 

Drums – Gene Krupa 

Guitar – Herb Ellis 

Organ – Oscar Peterson 

Piano – Oscar Peterson

Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster, Lester Young

Trombone – Bill Harris 

Trumpet – Charlie Shavers, Roy Eldridge 

20180919_215546.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, t_mike said:

You guys are just showing off now. ?

OK, my turn. This pressing from the UK in '53 is in EX condition and sounds great, all 10" of it.

15373600494141235374023.jpg

I'd like to hear that!

Grappelly! I posted my copy of Led Zeppellin Eleven (11) elsewhere tonight. Things like that crack me up...

EDIT: Shows what I know, I didn't realise he spelled it that way earlier in his career!

Edited by GeoffR
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, GeoffR said:

I'd like to hear that!

Grappelly! I posted my copy of Led Zeppellin Eleven (11) elsewhere tonight. Things like that crack me up...

Yes, they can get it wrong sometimes. Apparently Jethro Tull's first single was released as Jethro Toe!

https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Toe-Sunshine-Day/master/657864

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GeoffR said:

I'd like to hear that!

EDIT: Shows what I know, I didn't realise he spelled it that way earlier in his career!

I've got a misspell too.

R-2541482-1429003998-3537.jpeg.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, t_mike said:

You guys are just showing off now. ?

OK, my turn. This pressing from the UK in '53 is in EX condition and sounds great, all 10" of it.

OK then, not that I think I would stand much chance against your archive:

Louis Armstrong & the All Stars, 1947, Satchmo at Symphony Hall. Festival Records Pty Limited, CFR10356, Sydney, reissue July 1954. Not in best condition, (G+ to VG), but still OK.

20180920_201854.jpg

20180920_201926.jpg

20180920_202046.jpg

20180920_202100.jpg

• Like 5

Guest Misterioso
2 hours ago, Plattenspieler said:

Six albums by Randy Weston

Was surprised to find out that the singer on the 2nd album is Brock Peters - the actor playing the accused in To Kill A Mockingbird. He had a great voice. I also learned that it is him who speaks the final sentences of Miles Davis' Jack Johnson album. 

Edited by Misterioso

On 10/09/2018 at 1:38 PM, Dave O))) said:

I just made an order with Dusty Groove, my first in over four years! I have the latest Dave Holland 3LP as well as a couple of Sun Ra titles and "Intimate Ellington" which was only five bucks :) 

Will definitely pay them a visit when I make it to Chicago, one of these days....

Did they levy GST on your order?

• Like 3

Norman Granz, 1947, Norman Granz' Jazz At The Philharmonic Volume 7. Clef Records MG Vol. 7.  10", Mono Australia reissue, C.1950-51?

Sounds pretty radial for 1947!

Credits

Double Bass – Johnny Miller, Red Callender

Drums – Lee Young)

Guitar – Les Paul

Piano – "Shorty Nadine"

Tenor Saxophone – Illinois Jacquet, Jack McVea

Trombone – J.J. Johnson

Trumpet – Shorty Sherock 

20180921_184735.jpg

20180921_184751.jpg

• Like 4

After my luck earlier in the week with Miles, I decided to push it today...

SV5NeYn.jpg

opAyyDq.jpg

This record looks like hell. Even the sleeve is a bit dinged, which, well, you need to try hard to smash Impulse sleeves up. There are some huuuuuge marks over track 1, however they are broad rather than deep, and they didn't seem to sound much when I played it in store. It was cheap, so I figured it was worth trying - they always let me return anything I'm not happy with, so why not? Well, it's not perfect, there's a bit of crackle in the quiet sections, but mostly it sounds pretty damn good. It's not going back.

• Like 8

I read a review of this earlier today, found it on Tidal and got stuck right in.

I liked it so much I ordered a hard copy from discogs.

It is awesome, check it out via Tidal or bandcamp (where only a digital version is available for purchase)

Think too that it’ll feature in my “best jazz releases of the year” list. :)

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2018/09/angelika-niescier-berlin-concert-intakt.html

4DD3F7DB-47D5-4E39-B1FD-D409B94C64CB.jpeg

• Like 2